Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Blue850 wrote:
    2 R4s for sale on Carzone today misadvertised as R5s

.............probably as the R4 option wasn't on the list ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

Blue one is a GTL ... disc brakes etc. Nice!
    Beige one I think is a TL "legend".

Good to see them up and running!

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Do-more wrote:
    In front of a house in Rathmines...

Merc.jpg

wow, nice car, shame that it's just left there. Is it an original Irish car or a recent import? There seem to be a lot of these on the roads lately.....
    Nice to see the Standard, I saw two of them a few weeks ago. They both appeared to be road worthy. Just looking at this green car would I think make a worthy restoration project maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Do-more wrote:
    Not sure if it's the same place, but I saw a red R4 for sale today in the 2nd hand car sales place between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix. It's on a 91 D plate!

Yeah thats the place, theres a car graveyard out the back too. always wanted to take a stroll and see whats there!

Not quite abandoned, but a work in progress, that hasn't progressed to much in the last few months. Apparantly the quick repray turned into more than was expected. Still it looks like a decent car and doesn't appear to require too much to get it back on the road !

Image051.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Spotted a Merc W123, white, and in seemingly good nick, in Dalys Cross, Limerick. Might not be abandoned, but didnt have a rear number plate on it.

Where is Daly's Cross ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Saw these last month at a Folk Park outside of Sligo town, do they qualify as classics?
    I wouldn't think so but I'm sure there is someone out there who does!:D

SV203937.jpg

SV203938.jpg

SV203936.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they count as abandones classics certainly... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

What the...

is there milk in those bottles ?!

• Advertisement

Yeah that milk float is gas...................someone finished their milk round and parked it up !

Funny to think how much more green things were back in the 70's, re-using milk bottles, electric delivery vehicles, ham, fruit, veg all sold by weight in brown paper bags, return for deposit kids drinks and a lot of produce sold to your door, bread, fruit and veg etc.. so only one van being used instead of dozens of vehicles going to the shops !!

Sorry..............I went a bit off topic there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

MercMad wrote:
    Where is Daly's Cross ??

Hi Ben,
    its on the N7, about 20k from Limerick. Coming from Dublin, you pass first thru'
    Birdhill, then Dalys Cross is the next village you come to. Theres a Statoil on the left, and Jerrys Bar on the right (not sure, but it could be owned by a certain international hooker, no sniggering at the back there! ;) )

I was coming back from Limerick when i saw the W123, so its kinda behind Jerrys Bar.

For a thoroughly abandoned classic, theres a W123T, again white, but this model comes with a moss-green patina, at a workshop in Toomevara, Co. Tipp, again on the N7

For a thoroughly abandoned classic, theres a W123T, again white, but this model comes with a moss-green patina, at a workshop in Toomevara, Co. Tipp, again on the N7

...........yeah I know this one alright ! I've watched it deteriorate over the last 5 years or more !

I cant remember Dalys Cross, though I go to Limerick failry regulalry but I always go into Killaloe/Ballina as I have friends there !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MercMad wrote:
    that milk float is gas
    I'd say it's electric! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say it's electric! ;):D

solid gold....just had one of those "wish id said that" moments....:)

Its all in the way I set it up !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ahh man , this tread is making me sad... i wish i had some of them cars and a few hours to spend on em....

classic cars are like small furry animals... need alot of t.l.c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

These two beauties are on the side of the road in Celbridge (within a few hundred yards of each other).

The Roller has quite a green bloom developing (surprised the flying whatshername hasn't been robbed!) and the Yanktank has been sprayed with undercoat with outstanding results! :D

Rolls.jpg

Yank.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    the flying whatshername
    Spirit of Ecstasy ;)

Do-more wrote:
    These two beauties are on the side of the road in Celbridge (within a few hundred yards of each other).

The Roller has quite a green bloom developing (surprised the flying whatshername hasn't been robbed!) and the Yanktank has been sprayed with undercoat with outstanding results! :D

..................the RR looks like it has sat for at least a year or more. I wonder if the owner would be open to offers ! Anyone around that might know who owned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Where exactly is the W123T and does it appear there are any useful spares on it, any chance of contacting an owner, etc.?

8~) wrote: »
    Where exactly is the W123T and does it appear there are any useful spares on it, any chance of contacting an owner, etc.?

............drive to Toomevara. Stop car. Open eyes. See car. Ask guy in workshop ! ;)

Seriously you cant miss it. It appears solid but I never stopped to examine it !

Lovely, thanks.

Though if it's been sitting out for 5 years I'd bet it's not worth restoring.

Lovely, thanks.

Though if it's been sitting out for 5 years I'd bet it's not worth restoring.

.........true.........and there was obviously a fairly good reason for laying it up in the first place !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

MercMad wrote: »
    .........true.........and there was obviously a fairly good reason for laying it up in the first place !

I've seen many potential restorations go beyond the point of restoration by simply being left out in the elements, with their owners refusing to sell at a reasonable price or sell at all at any price.
    It seems if you ask about something they presume it must be worth a fortune and hold out for their pay day which never comes of course:(
    I'm currently watching at least 3 vehicles going through this process.

'Tis sad to see alright, though my interest in the W123 is for some parts.
    Need to get a weekend off to dedicate to car stuff... still have 107 bits to get too if you still have them Hi5!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

'Tis sad to see alright, though my interest in the W123 is for some parts.
    Need to get a weekend off to dedicate to car stuff... still have 107 bits to get too if you still have them Hi5!

Yes, they're still here
    I just heard of a classic car auction coming up in Kilkenny in January,so thought I'd put all my old junk:eek: on a pallet and put it through,see how it does.Any one want to make an offer on a w107 hardtop, perfect condition before it goes under the hammer:)

hi5 wrote: »
    It seems if you ask about something they presume it must be worth a fortune and hold out for their pay day which never comes of course:(
    I'm currently watching at least 3 vehicles going through this process.
    My uncle had a 1964 Mk 1 Cortina deluxe and waited for years for the right price. Said car is now a hen house! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Do-more wrote: »

i know what im doing this weekend :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Was down that way today, no chance of stopping, but I took this photo as I passed...

123T.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement