Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish citizens who fought with German forces during World War 2

• 02-11-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I know that there were at least five Irish POWs who by the names of Brady, Cushing, Walsh, O'Brien and Murphy who were recruited from among British servicemen in captivity into the German military intelligence service or Abwehr before later being joined by a sixth man named Stringer. Cushing and Walsh ended up in Sachsenhausen concentration camp while Brady and Stringer joined the Waffen SS and ended up in Otto Skorenzy's commando unit and saw action on the Eastern front. Stringer surrendered to the Americans in 1945 while Brady remained on the run before surrendering to the British in Berlin. Another Irishman is believed to have been a doctor with an SS penal unit.

Could someone tell me where I could find out more about these men?

And also if there were any other Irishmen or Irish-born members of the German armed forces - Army, Navy, Air Force, Waffen SS or other units?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Hitler's Irishmen' by Terence O'Reilly.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah that book will tell you everything you need to know. I still find it interesting how few Irish and also British people were recruited, although logically I can think of some good reasons why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yeah that book will tell you everything you need to know. I still find it interesting how few Irish and also British people were recruited, although logically I can think of some good reasons why not.

Interesting irish angle..almost as interesting as the jews who flew in the german air force.

Advertisement