Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old IRA

• 01-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

i always knew that my grandfather was in the old IRA and that he received a medal from the state for his efforts, but i have only recently( just days ago ) found out that he served time in prison for his efforts probably during the civil war. can anybody out there please advise me as to how i can find out more information about this . my grandfather was from Donegal, Milford area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

twomill wrote: »
    i always knew that my grandfather was in the old IRA and that he received a medal from the state for his efforts, but i have only recently( just days ago ) found out that he served time in prison for his efforts probably during the civil war. can anybody out there please advise me as to how i can find out more information about this . my grandfather was from Donegal, Milford area
    My grandfather was imprisoned in Dundalk around 1919. He was from Crossmaglen and was randomly arrested with a few others and thrown into Dundalk prison for a few months. I've been forever putting it on the long finger to look up the records. If anyone can help I'd also appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

Hi PatsytheNazi,
    My Great Uncle was also imprisoned in Dundalk Gaol in 1923. Last year I went to the Gaol which now houses the County Louth Archives and they have a permanent, but small exhibition on the history of the Gaol with particular emphasis on the Civil War period.
    Among their collection, the Archive have the original prisoner log books which contain the details of the men and women who were incarcerated in the Gaol, including those captured and interred during the Civil War. Unfortunately, the records for 1923 are in the Military Archive in Dublin and I plan to make a visit to get more information on my Great Uncle's activities.

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Archives/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm interested in civil war era prison records also, as my grandfather served time in prison during the 1920s for an assault on a Garda. I don't know which prison he was in though so I'm not sure where to start. I have related Irish Times/ Independent articles which give the date of the offence and court appearances (tried twice in both military and central criminal courts) etc but no idea of where he was eventually imprisoned.

A tip on where to begin my search would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

rafferr wrote: »
    Hi PatsytheNazi,
    My Great Uncle was also imprisoned in Dundalk Gaol in 1923. Last year I went to the Gaol which now houses the County Louth Archives and they have a permanent, but small exhibition on the history of the Gaol with particular emphasis on the Civil War period.
    Among their collection, the Archive have the original prisoner log books which contain the details of the men and women who were incarcerated in the Gaol, including those captured and interred during the Civil War. Unfortunately, the records for 1923 are in the Military Archive in Dublin and I plan to make a visit to get more information on my Great Uncle's activities.

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Archives/
    Excellent, thank you very much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 twomill

found out that my grandfather was held in Glenveagh castle in Co.Donegal and that the army held the castle for about 3 years in the early 1920's, but have not been able to find any more about that time. i'm waiting on the library to get me a book on that era to see if anything is mentioned in that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I had a gran uncle in the old IRA. He scared the life of my mother with (mostly) fabricated stories...

Advertisement