Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nuked some green beans, made a batch of rice because there wasn't enough in the freezer, and then nuked some leftover chicken in white wine sauce and had some bean salad. So basically leftovers and the same as the other night.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mystery Eggs midweek kebabery inspired me and had the most wonderful doner with chips for dinner tonight. Complete with token salad for visual effect.

Sitting here full to the tits feeling like I’ve won something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

awec wrote: »
    Mystery Eggs midweek kebabery inspired me and had the most wonderful doner with chips for dinner tonight. Complete with token salad for visual effect.

Sitting here full to the tits feeling like I’ve won something.

Happy days!

I was planning on quesadillas tonight but it was just so cold this happened instead.

IMG-20210122-180116122.jpg

Rich cottage pie topped with crispy potato slices. It was amazing.

Last October I made lots of apple chutneys and crumbles so I popped a crumble in the oven from the freezer and we're currently tucking in by the fire with custard and cream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had vol au vents left over from Christmas - I always buy them and never use them. Tonight I had two of them filled with garlicky mushrooms with creme fraiche.

20210122-185817.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Veggie lasagne, dirst time doing it on the stovetop due to chucking out the casserole dish last week.
    Quorn chicken pieces, onion, mushroom, celery with wedges and rocket side
    Very tasty, but lacked a bit of consistency because a lot of lasagne sheets were stuck together and chucked in the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

Prawn and avocado norimaki. Prawn tempura. Prawn Gyozas.
    I like prawns.

I made none of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Today I did a quite large beef and pork lasagna following recipes that did stuff I'd never normally do. And it worked very well. This is what's different to what I'd normally do:

1: Cook the tomato sauce section separately, and for a loooong time. 90+ minutes simmering. Add some further acids to this early enough on, I used white wine vinegar
    2: Cook some finely chopped mushrooms in with the mince - they will basically vanish from sight in the final sauce. Brown/dry out the mince/mushroom mixture, then a further lengthy simmer after merging in the tomato sauce.
    3: Fully cook the lasagna sheets, then cool/rinse them in cold water - I'd gone from using them dry, which never worked; to a brief softening in hot water but this helps hugely

Definitely worth looking to see what others are doing even if you think your own recipe is good. Does turn it in a weekend or day off dish not a semi-quick one in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lolabear2020

With all the kebab talk had to add mine. We do similar to the cooking club one but in the slow cooker and it makes the lamb so tender. But we cheat and buy kebab sauce from the local chipper and it goes down a treat! Feel like we’re having a takeaway but surely a lot better as all the grease drains off but not enough for it to dry out. Have converted plenty of family and friends. Definitely beats some of the local places efforts.

Tonight is just creamy white wine chicken with broccoli and egg fried rice.

Love this thread, have followed for years but never post as not great at presentation or portion size !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

With all the kebab talk had to add mine. We do similar to the cooking club one but in the slow cooker and it makes the lamb so tender. But we cheat and buy kebab sauce from the local chipper and it goes down a treat! Feel like we’re having a takeaway but surely a lot better as all the grease drains off but not enough for it to dry out. Have converted plenty of family and friends. Definitely beats some of the local places efforts.

Tonight is just creamy white wine chicken with broccoli and egg fried rice.

Love this thread, have followed for years but never post as not great at presentation or portion size !

Welcome! There's no judging presentation or portion sizes here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

L1011 wrote: »
    3: Fully cook the lasagna sheets, then cool/rinse them in cold water - I'd gone from using them dry, which never worked; to a brief softening in hot water but this helps hugely

I cook the lasagne sheets fully, but no matter how carefully I added them, and how much I stirred them, they'd always stick together, so I'd have the centres all welded together and not cooked. Nowadays I paint the sheets with olive oil. This works - works well - but it's a PITA, so we don't have lasagne very often :)

• Advertisement

Would fresh lasagna sheets solve this problem?

I used dried but my method is this:

Layer meat sauce
    Layer lasagna (only very slightly overlapped, maybe 1cm)
    Layer bechamel
    Layer cheese

Repeat X 3

Then cook at 180 for 45 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I like meat especially fatty meat like brisket, lamb, pork belly etc and tend to cook a lot of stew from September to March.

Picked up an oxtail a while back and cooked it as a stew during the week. Sweet Jesus I've never anything as rich in years.

150 degrees for about 5 hrs in a red wine base with the usual veg of celery, carrots onion and garlic with my own stock and some tomato paste. Added a couple of bay leaves.

My recently vegetarian convert wife nearly cracked 😀

My almost 4 yr old boy has s new favourite dinner 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I done another Italian style fish pie - simple to make and body delicious.

Pre oven.

IMG-20210123-175246.jpg

30 mins later.

IMG-20210123-181346.jpg

Served on the plate. I normally have a simple salad with it but forgot to get some today, so just had a nice bit of ciabatta with it.

IMG-20210123-181650.jpg

We had a glazed and baked ham tonight.

IMG-20210123-170907275.jpg

Served with cabbage and carrots cooked in the ham stock, mash and parsley sauce.

I also made Smitten Kitchen's salted brown butter rice krispie treats and they're yum, but do you think I could get the small man to taste them? What kind of parent tries to coax their child to eat sweets... and fails? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bourneville button, walnut & raisin banana bread.

IZU3syjl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Spaghetti with Calamari
    IMG-20210123-222658-667.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Got a takeaway today.

My son treated us all to it. God it was lovely,nice i didnt have to cook.

We had a takeaway tonight too, Sanuk Thai :)

Got a kit from yumokits delivered today. Suffice it to say, we’ll be getting it again.

This is the pork belly bao bun.

EAB532-AE-21-DC-4-A45-912-D-AF0534-F55258.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Going for some moon vibes with my broccoli soup, which was only amazin'

LKIoccYl.jpg

• Advertisement

We had a takeaway tonight too, Sanuk Thai :)

Yes ours was from All Bar Chicken.I was stuffed for the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We have a homemade bolognese bubbling away at the moment. Very simple to throw together, but we don't make it often as we leave it on a low simmer for up to 2 hours, so we just don't normally have the time. So much better than using a jar though!

We're going all out with fresh pasta and garlic bread! Both shop bought, but still :P

Miso, garlic, soy sauce, agave & lemon fried noodles with cannellini beans, mushrooms, broccoli, avocado & spring onion. Topped with black & white sesame seeds, ground orange peel, cayenne pepper, poppy seeds, black pepper, ginger & crushed seaweed.

NS5vIapl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I would eat a bowl of those noodles by themselves!

Chicken pot pie here this evening, didn't have leftover chicken so did chicken breasts sous vide to try and keep them juicy

We had slow roasted barbecue ribs with Airfryer chips.

20210124-185953.jpg

Not dinner but just made chilli cheese toast and its lovelY. Only thing missing is a bit of bacon.
    I know for the next time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Matter paneer, chana masala with jeera rice and garlic and coriander naans. Sure what else would you be doing on a Sunday afternoon?

92ANKHE.jpg

Spag bol :)

20210125-184654.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Beef and cashew nut stir fry. Normally do noodles in it but forgot I was out. The rice made a nice change though.

540949.jpg

• Advertisement

We had spinach, ricotta and pine nut ravioli (shop bought) with tomato sauce (home made), salad and garlic bread. It was quite horrible! The only nice part was the salad.

Advertisement