Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What size image to print a mount size a3

• 22-01-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

What’s an ideal print size that could fit a3 sized mount? Looking at getting frames in a3 size, can get mounts for a3 but they will cut based on image size.
    Is there an app or website where you input dimensions and get a virtual idea of what it all would look like
    Is there a general rule of thumb? Or even should I consider different sizes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Ideally 300dpi at the size of the print.

That's often not possible.

Taking into account the distance at which it will generally viewed, you can go lower. The further away from the image the viewer will generally be, the litter you can get away with.
    At 1 foot away, 300 is best. You might be alright as low as 240dpi.

The content can also affect how things look when "blown up". If the content has straight lines that are not perfectly vertical or perfectly horizonal, or had relatively thin curved lives... You'll want to stay as high as possible.

Good luck with the photo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Heebie wrote: »
    Ideally 300dpi at the size of the print.

That's often not possible.

Taking into account the distance at which it will generally viewed, you can go lower. The further away from the image the viewer will generally be, the litter you can get away with.
    At 1 foot away, 300 is best. You might be alright as low as 240dpi.

The content can also affect how things look when "blown up". If the content has straight lines that are not perfectly vertical or perfectly horizonal, or had relatively thin curved lives... You'll want to stay as high as possible.

Good luck with the photo! :)

Thanks for getting back to me

However I’m confused, by 300 or 200 dpi what would this do with fitting into a mount? Dpi is quality related.

My query is around what would the best size to fit into a mount that’s gonna fit an a3 frame.the crowd Im getting the mount from will cut the mount based on the print size.
    For the photo would I simply drop to a4 or is there a print size someone would recommend.

Is there a site you can visualise all of this

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

skinny90 wrote: »
    the crowd Im getting the mount from will cut the mount based on the print size.

How long is a piece of string?

Your frame is a fixed size, therefore the external dimensions of the mount are also fixed.
    The question is what width of mount do you want around your photo.
    Sometimes a 6 x 4" print can look great with wide mount all round it.
    Other prints look good with a narrow mount around them.
    The moulding of the frame will also have a bearing on the width of the mount.
    Landscape prints (orientation, not pics of fields) can look better with a slightly wider mount under the print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

How long is a piece of string?

Your frame is a fixed size, therefore the external dimensions of the mount are also fixed.
    The question is what width of mount do you want around your photo.
    Sometimes a 6 x 4" print can look great with wide mount all round it.
    Other prints look good with a narrow mount around them.
    The moulding of the frame will also have a bearing on the width of the mount.
    Landscape prints (orientation, not pics of fields) can look better with a slightly wider mount under the print.

Thanks. I guess that’s what I meant by is there a general rule of thumb I need to apply.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

skinny90 wrote: »
    Thanks. I guess that’s what I meant by is there a general rule of thumb I need to apply.

Nope.
    Go with what you think suits the photo and by whatever else you have hanging on your walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

If you are using PS or LR (or probably most other photographic editing software chosse the print option, specify A3 as the paper size and choose print preview.

This will give you a good idea of what it will look like.

Advertisement