Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What fitness tracker

Options
  • 16-01-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’m in the market for a fitness tracker watch.
    Budget of 150-200 euro.
    Don’t want a chest strap.
    I want the watch to tell me how many calories I have burned as I’ll be tracking calories I have eaten via my fitness pal.
    I’m aiming to have a caloric deficit so I want the watch to make this easier for me to track.
    I want the watch to accurately track HIIT workouts as I do them 3 times a week.
    I also do 2-3 resistance workouts a week either callisthenics or weights.
    The odd spinning (bike on turbo stand in garage) session would be there also.
    Any recommendations guys? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I use a FitBit Charge 2 or 3 and I don't think it matches your requirements.

I don't think any fitness tracker will accurately tell you how may calories you have burned though. It could give a consistent indication from day to day but if you use it to alter what you're eating it could throw you way off.

For example, a tracker might say you burnt 800 calories on a treadmill. If you eat back those 800 calories you'll probably soon see you're gaining weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

timeToLive wrote: »

I don't think any fitness tracker will accurately tell you how may calories you have burned though. It could give a consistent indication from day to day but if you use it to alter what you're eating it could throw you way off.

For example, a tracker might say you burnt 800 calories on a treadmill. If you eat back those 800 calories you'll probably soon see you're gaining weight.

Yeah get ya.
    Well it’s really just an indicator I want.
    I’m setup for 2000 kcal on my fitness (as maintain) so I’m aiming for 1800kcal or thereabouts to drop BF.
    so I just wanna make sure the kcals burned throughout the day at least match my calorie deficit, if ya get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

timeToLive wrote: »

I don't think any fitness tracker will accurately tell you how may calories you have burned though...
    Pretty much every fitness tracker will have the feature to track calories.
    I have Fitbit Charge 2, which also tracks workouts. I imagine current fitbit models will.
    tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m in the market for a fitness tracker watch.
    Budget of 150-200 euro.
    Don’t want a chest strap.
    I want the watch to tell me how many calories I have burned as I’ll be tracking calories I have eaten via my fitness pal.
    I’m aiming to have a caloric deficit so I want the watch to make this easier for me to track.
    I want the watch to accurately track HIIT workouts as I do them 3 times a week.
    I also do 2-3 resistance workouts a week either callisthenics or weights.
    The odd spinning (bike on turbo stand in garage) session would be there also.
    Any recommendations guys? Thanks.

These are pretty basic requirements. Any decent wrist based tracker will track calories. Most would also track exercise.

Fitbit Charge 4 is available for under €150. The app probably integrates with MFP. Personally I think it's easier to keep them separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 melissajeffrey

I was also looking to buy a fitness tracker, but still I couldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I realised I had a polar m400 that I had bought a couple of years ago. The buckle had broke so I swapped the buckle for one on a different watch and that’s what I’m using now. Does everything I need and the polar app is brilliant. I use the chest strap during workouts and then just the watch for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement