Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance questions

• 22-01-2021 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

If you have driving other cars cover on your comprehensive car insurance policy....

1. Can you drive other cars that don't have an insurance policy already on them.

2. Are you covered to drive a van that has a commercial insurance policy already on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Depends on your policy. What does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

Slightly at a tangent here but why would you not phone your own insurance company and ask them the question? That way you will get the absolutely correct answer.
    Aviva for example, say that the other car must have its own policy. Other insurers may say different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gooner99 wrote: »
    If you have driving other cars cover on your comprehensive car insurance policy....

1. Can you drive other cars that don't have an insurance policy already on them.

2. Are you covered to drive a van that has a commercial insurance policy already on it.

1. entirely depends on what's in your policy documents and insurance cert. If it doesn't say the other vehicle needs to be insured then it's doesn't need to be insured.

2. no, cover is only for cars and not commercial vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the answer to most questions concerning cover is to go to your insurer's website, download their policy document and read it.

Last time I checked, Aviva and Liberty had, as a condition for 'driving other cars' cover, that there is a policy in force for the car you are borrowing. It doesn't need to cover you to drive it, just that there must be an active policy on the car. It's likely that most insurers will eventually include this exclusion so if you're not with Aviva or Liberty, check the current policy document.

If you are with Aviva or Liberty, the answer to your question is a definite 'no'.

Typically it only covers private cars. And even being taxed as private doesn't make a van a private car so any type of commercial vehicle (regardless of taxation class) would be excluded.

Sample conditions for cover under 'driving other cars'....

Aviva
    the motor vehicle being driven is solely a Private car. This cover does not include the driving of any commercial vehicles, camper vehicles, vans, car-vans, vans adapted to carry passengers or vehicles used for hire or reward such as a taxi or a hackney car
    Axa
    This extension applies only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include vans, car-vans, jeeps with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry passengers.

FBD
    It does not apply to:
    • vans
    • car-vans
    • jeeps with no seats in the back
    • vans adapted to carry passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, the answer to most questions concerning cover is to go to your insurer's website, download their policy document and read it.

FBD

I have comp with FBD, from reading this, I can go and buy a second car and not have to get an insurance policy for it? Am I picking this up correct?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

timple23 wrote: »
    I have comp with FBD, from reading this, I can go and buy a second car and not have to get an insurance policy for it? Am I picking this up correct?

The other car must not belong to you.

Beltby wrote: »

If it was in a family member's name? Does other car have to have an active insurance policy on it?

If it was in a family member's name? Does other car have to have an active insurance policy on it?

You would need to check your policy to see if it needs to be insured or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Driving of other cars covers your negligent driving of a car, not belonging to you, causing a loss to another person. If you are driving perfectly and a defect in the car causes an accident, where is "the owner" going to access funds to pay for the loss?

If it was in a family member's name?

With the exception of this condition, which applies in all cases.....

There is no simple answer which covers every motor insurance company policy. Some companies exclude cars that are owned by your family or people living in your household.

For example, Liberty stipulates that: 'the other car is not owned by your spouse / partner/cohabitant or employer'
    Does other car have to have an active insurance policy on it?

See post #5 above.

• Advertisement

@coylemj I would much prefer to get a policy on it. FBD currently give me a 50% discount because of my no claims discount, but I have that all used up on current vehicle. They quoted me a 4 figure amount for this vehicle. Are there other insurers that would give that kind of no claims discount? I haven't had a chance to ring a broker yet.

@coylemj I would much prefer to get a policy on it. FBD currently give me a 50% discount because of my no claims discount, but I have that all used up on current vehicle. They quoted me a 4 figure amount for this vehicle. Are there other insurers that would give that kind of no claims discount? I haven't had a chance to ring a broker yet.
    Buy a car over 30 years old and you can get classic insurance for around 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buy a car over 30 years old and you can get classic insurance for around 200 euro.

some 30yr old cars, not all.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Your existing no-claims discount will only apply to the policy you have on your current car. If you buy a second car, you take out a new policy and have to start building up a new no-claims discount. I believe that is standard practice in the Irish motor insurance business.

While FBD does not currently insist that a car you borrow has it's own policy, I wouldn't be happy to simply buy a second car, register it in the wife's name and then treat it as an additional car, to be driven as often as I feel like it while covered under the 'driving other cars' clause in my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭zg3409

Driving other cars often have different catches on different parts of small print.
    Other catches I have seen, Max 2.0L engine (AXA I think), temporary use or emergency only.
    Catches can change year to year with same insurer on renewal so read small print each year.

The other issue is if car has no policy, then you have no insurance cert for window of car. If you get stopped you may be insured (Cary a copy of other car policy in glove box with driving other vehicles statement).

Its a 60 euro fixed penalty for not having an insurance disc displayed , which could be issued by a garda, or possibly a parking warden if parked in a public place. Also car with no policy likely has no theft, fire or insurance when parked up in public. In theory you might not be able to tax it without insurance on it, although motortax website will accept any policy number you enter. Having tax, nct, and copy of insurance in glovebox might help if stopped by garda at checkpoint.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Driving other cars often have different catches on different parts of small print.
    Other catches I have seen, Max 2.0L engine (AXA I think), temporary use or emergency only.

Yes, Axa have that condition on engine size but it relates to comprehensive cover when driving other cars. It's stated in Section 1 'Loss of or damage to a car you are driving which is temporarily borrowed from another person'.

In section 5 'Liability to others' which deals with third party cover, there is no limit on engine size in 'Driving other cars'. So you can still borrow your neighbour's BMW 530 but your own (Axa) policy will cover you for TP only.

Advertisement