Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Named driver question

• 18-01-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

hi, married and we have 2 cars

wife barely drives her car lately with covid etc, her insurance expired a few days ago, she simply forgot to renew but will do it in next day or so

I have her as a named driver on my car. can she drive my car today and be insured? or does she have to get her own insurance sorted first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP.

If they’re a named driver on your policy, then they are ok to drive.

If you think about it, most people start as a named driver, without having a policy of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posts removed.
    Ring your insurer if you have any doubts, or read the documents that you have from the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    hi, married and we have 2 cars

wife barely drives her car lately with covid etc, her insurance expired a few days ago, she simply forgot to renew but will do it in next day or so

I have her as a named driver on my car. can she drive my car today and be insured? or does she have to get her own insurance sorted first?

Following on from this.

Neither me nor my wife have driven the wife's car in weeks, we have just been using my car only and will continue to do so until lock down relaxes.

Wife's insurance expired on 6th Jan, is there any issue if she does not renew it for a while, like if she was to renew it on 1st March, would this be an issue? Would insurance companies frown on a gap of no insurance in her own name etc for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Following on from this.

Neither me nor my wife have driven the wife's car in weeks, we have just been using my car only and will continue to do so until lock down relaxes.

Wife's insurance expired on 6th Jan, is there any issue if she does not renew it for a while, like if she was to renew it on 1st March, would this be an issue? Would insurance companies frown on a gap of no insurance in her own name etc for a few weeks

You need to ask your own insurance company. If you answered a question stating that your missus had her own car when you put her own the policy, then you should be notifying your insurer of this change in circumstance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Following on from this.

The NCD may expire if the period of insurance isn't continuous.
    I'm basing that off the fact that when I moved from the UK back here a while ago I was told that they would accept my UK no claims discount but couldn't do the same for my other half as there was a 2-3 week gap between one policy expiring to the other starting so perhaps give them a ring and ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Incorrect, No Claims Discount is valid for 2 years from when policy lapses. Having a UK NCD accepted in ROI is a completely separate matter.

OP, there should be no problem taking cover back up but renewal quote would no longer be valid at that stage and would have to be re-issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Chiorino wrote: »
    Incorrect, No Claims Discount is valid for 2 years from when policy lapses. Having a UK NCD accepted in ROI is a completely separate matter.

OP, there should be no problem taking cover back up but renewal quote would no longer be valid at that stage and would have to be re-issued.

Cheers for the clarification. I wasn't stating this as fact, more as a possible issue but it's good info to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to ask your own insurance company. If you answered a question stating that your missus had her own car when you put her own the policy, then you should be notifying your insurer of this change in circumstance anyway.

+1 OP, that is something worth considering. Your wife's cover could be based on the fact that she has a car of her own and which is insured in her name. In other words, the additional premium you paid to have her named may be significantly reduced by her having her own car. Or they may have charged you nothing to cover her to drive your car because she has her own car.

So if she no longer has a car insured in her name, your insurance company may regard that as a 'material change' in your circumstances. And you'd be obliged to notify them.

Check the schedule (Axa now calls it a 'statement of fact') that you got after your last renewal, that may have a section covering the basis for your wife's cover. If it mentions that she has a car insured in her own name then you deffo need to notify them.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 OP, that is something worth considering. Your wife's cover could be based on the fact that she has a car of her own and which is insured in her name. In other words, the additional premium you paid to have her named may be significantly reduced by her having her own car. Or they may have charged you nothing to cover her to drive your car because she has her own car.

So if she no longer has a car insured in her name, your insurance company may regard that as a 'material change' in your circumstances. And you'd be obliged to notify them.

Check the schedule (Axa now calls it a 'statement of fact') that you got after your last renewal, that may have a section covering the basis for your wife's cover. If it mentions that she has a car insured in her own name then you deffo need to notify them.

adding my wife to my policy brings my premium down, do this every year, ask if adding my wife will bring it down and theny add her and ut brings my cost down

had a quick gander at the policy, and statement of fact, mentions her car alright but nothing really there about : is she insured in her own name etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

had a quick gander at the policy, and statement of fact, mentions her car alright but nothing really there about : is she insured in her own name etc

I bet it doesn't mention the number of wheels on her car either. Forget the hair-splitting, if they mention her car in the schedule/statement of fact then it's a material fact and you need to notify your insurer if there's a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you declare that your spouse has a policy in his/her name and this situation changes, it is (as said above) a material fact and you need to inform your insurer

If you declare that your spouse has a policy in his/her name and this situation changes, it is (as said above) a material fact and you need to inform your insurer

Noted. Will my insurer most likely say she needs to get the policy in her own name ASAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Noted. Will my insurer most likely say she needs to get the policy in her own name ASAP?

They shouldn't. There's no requirement that a named driver has their own policy, it's just that you would have received a discount for her having one. Likely to be a small additional charge

Following on from this.

Hands up. Very thick.
    Forgot the fact that if the Bloody car is stolen from outside the house, I am shagged.

Better get it insured ASAP.

Advertisement