Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kimchi

Options
  • 22-12-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get vegetarian/vegan kimchi?

The one in SuperValu has fish extract in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Where are ya based? Jaru's kimchi is vegan. If you're based in Dublin you can buy vegetarian kimchi in Coreanna from time to time depending on if it's in stock.

My other half is Korean(both vegan) and we make our own at home cause we eat too much to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Where are ya based? Jaru'skimchi is vegan. If you're based in Dublin you can buy vegetarian kimchi in Coreanna from time to time depending on if it's in stock.

My other half is Korean(both vegan) and we make our own at home cause we eat too much to buy it.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the health benefits from fermented kimchi.

Do you have a recipe? How long do you ferment it?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Páid wrote: »
    Is it possible to get vegetarian/vegan kimchi?

The one in SuperValu has fish extract in it.

Yes, Good Food in cork has it. Made with seaweed rather than fish.
    Also stocked in the quay co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Yes, Good Food in cork has it. Made with seaweed rather than fish.
    Also stocked in Holland and Barrett.
    I'm in Dublin. Holland and Barrett are out of stock for their veggie one where I am but I'll keep an eye on them.

kimchi recipe

You can just follow something like that and substitute the fish sauce/shrimp for kelp and shetake( you can buy dried ones in Asia market the swear filter is blocking out the real name) mushroom stock. That's what we do. We also let the kimchi base ferment overnight before mixing it all together and add pear or apple instead of sugar. Generally it's more tasty that way. My other half has her own family recipe as kimchi varies by family in Korea. I just chop stuff for her.

Jaru's kimchi is made by Korean people so it's better and more authentic that in health food shops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just spotted this thread and it reminded me of the Fermented Foods thread we have in the Food forum. There's a link to a vegetarian kimchi recipe, and also a recipe posted by a regular in the forum who would be very reliable when it comes to recipes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/kimchi_69909

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114224129&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I always buy it, the good food one.
    I would like to make it, but don't eat enough of it.
    I'm not allowed open it in the house, I have to go outside to eat it🙄
    My wife has a sensitive nose.ðŸ˜

Full veggie kimchi recipe

Here is a full veggie recipe. Easy to follow too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think veginity in dublin sell it too, they put it on top of their cauli wings etc too.

Advertisement