Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conduit Gland problem

• 17-05-2021 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

I have a box for a CCTV camera which has a gland that does not accept conduit - it just compresses on the cables pushed through. I want to switch this gland for one which accepts either 20mm (preferable) or 25mm conduit.

I have a 25mm conduit compression gland that has the same ring nut type as all the other conduit I've been using. However, the thread between this and the gland provided with the box is different. The box is threaded - so no lock nut required for inside.

From looking at the picture attached, it can be seen that the provided gland (G3/4) has a different thread to the gland I was planning to use.
    How do I get from the top thread type to either 20mm or 35mm conduit?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I have a box for a CCTV camera which has a gland that does not accept conduit - it just compresses on the cables pushed through. I want to switch this gland for one which accepts either 20mm (preferable) or 25mm conduit.

I have a 25mm conduit compression gland that has the same ring nut type as all the other conduit I've been using. However, the thread between this and the gland provided with the box is different. The box is threaded - so no lock nut required for inside.

From looking at the picture attached, it can be seen that the provided gland (G3/4) has a different thread to the gland I was planning to use.
    How do I get from the top thread type to either 20mm or 35mm conduit?

Thanks.

I am assuming you are using pvc conduit. If so then this is what you need:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tower-male-conduit-adaptors-20mm-white-2-pack/46442?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szrMXXZtcv5FTmr3ty8RbwHxpFo4fieDj3trcRYIGkjc6bFO240W9jRoCqFQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The little lock ring can be removed and it just screwed into the box. At the very end when you're happt with the fitment, etc then you can put a bit of pvc cement on it and it will weld it to the conduit making it watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Tried one of those and it just falls out. It is just too narrow - plus the thread pattern is wrong. If you look closely at the image, you'll see that G3/4 has a coarser thread than the normal conduit adaptors.

See image here showing the different thread types.

Edit - centre is the gland supplied with the camera box. Other 2 are std conduit glands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

See image here showing the different thread types.

Edit - centre is the gland supplied with the camera box. Other 2 are std conduit glands.

TEC7 is a great product

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    TEC7 is a great product

Yeah, but I'd rather something a bit more 'professional' than that stuff TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Tried one of those and it just falls out. It is just too narrow - plus the thread pattern is wrong. If you look closely at the image, you'll see that G3/4 has a coarser thread than the normal conduit adaptors.

Is it a plastic box? Can you use a 20mm hole saw to get rid of the thread and then use one of these with the lock ring on the inside of the box?

aido79 wrote: »
    Is it a plastic box? Can you use a 20mm hole saw to get rid of the thread and then use one of these with the lock ring on the inside of the box?

No it is an aluminum alloy box. I've it all mounted in place and didn't notice that it was an imperial fitting - thought it was metric - which I have couplers for. I'd also rather not drill off the threads now that I've found what I'm looking for exists.

It looks like I need the G3/4 male thread to 25mm slip coupler. However, I can't find one anywhere that would ship in a reasonable timeframe. I could get one in black, but TBH - it would make a hash of the job and I'd rather do it right as the box is white, conduit is white etc - a black coupler would look wrong.

Where other than eBay and Amazon should I look? RS Components have it in black, but reasons above apply for not taking it.

No it is an aluminum alloy box. I've it all mounted in place and didn't notice that it was an imperial fitting - thought it was metric - which I have couplers for. I'd also rather not drill off the threads now that I've found what I'm looking for exists.

It looks like I need the G3/4 male thread to 25mm slip coupler. However, I can't find one anywhere that would ship in a reasonable timeframe. I could get one in black, but TBH - it would make a hash of the job and I'd rather do it right as the box is white, conduit is white etc - a black coupler would look wrong.

Where other than eBay and Amazon should I look? RS Components have it in black, but reasons above apply for not taking it.

I presume you've tried the electrical wholesalers?

aido79 wrote: »
    I presume you've tried the electrical wholesalers?

No, not sure who to look at apart from RS, Screwfix, CPC, Dungannon Electrical and TLC.

• Advertisement

No, not sure who to look at apart from RS, Screwfix, CPC, Dungannon Electrical and TLC.

If you can't find it in any of those or another wholesaler you might to go with Ebay

I'll probably buy the black on and spray it.
    Ebay has ones, but no delivery until 10 June.

Advertisement