Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on esb smart meter install

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

the only difference with a smart meter is that they don't have to physically come out and check it every couple of months.. you won't get estimated readings which probably will mean more accurate bills... why wouldn't you get one?

the smart meter tariffs are a joke... you get free electricity on a Saturday or Sunday but the base rate is higher so they essentially claw it back from your over the week days anyway... and who wants to spend their whole weekend washing/drying clothes?

same for the cash back offers... they will give you cash back if you sign up for a higher tariff? so you end up giving them the money anyway during the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When you have a smart meter you can still stick to your old rate. You can also shop around to get the best smart meter rate & save money

I was told once you go on a smart rate with anyone,you can never go back to normal tariffs

Have you asked your provider or energy regulator if this is true. I don't believe it is. I think what they meant was once you have a smart meter installed you will never be able to go back to the dated technology with the old meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ive heard both. Why dont ye jump over to the Renewables Fourm where there are tens of threads on this topic? https://www.boards.ie/categories/renewable-energies

• Advertisement

Energia says on their website: No. It is not possible to move back to a non-smart meter tariff once you have selected a Smart Tariff from Energia. You can have a Smart meter installed and remain on your current  non-smart tariff.

What is stopping you from moving to a cheaper provider in 12 months once out of contact & changing from smart tariff to regular tariff?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd hazard a guess that when you approach the new provider, and mention your meter is smart, they would only offer you a smart tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just called to have my smart meter changed to day night. It's a new build so I didn't have a choice initially. Can't understand how the energy companies have gotten away with scam?! All of the companies are offering the same terrible smart rates so it seems like they have a cartel going as well, like they did in the insurance industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

How long had you smart meter before you requested to go back to day night. I'm in the same situation. Was there any issue with getting it changed? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I now have a smart meter but want to move to another provider for special discount for a year (the usual annual switch) but not a smart tariff plan. They just don't sound cheap.

It ask's online what type off meter I have - do I lie and say I have a standard meter so they don't give me the smart tariffs.

Will this work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I dont think you could lie about what meter you have, as as soon as someone comes to read it, the game will be up...

I 'believe' that they can still give you a simple 24 hour basic tariff even if you have a smart meter, but to get day/night rate, you'd need an older day/night meter.

I thought I read somewhere also that someone moved into a house with a smart meter, and had it swapped out for a day/night meter as they wanted the day/night rate... Generally you are allowed 1 free meter change her house from ESB Networks, but if you want to change again you have to pay for the swap..

I don't want a day/night meter. I just had my first bill with actual read using the 2g technology. I just want to move providers and get a non smart meter tariff but they all keep asking online what type off meter you have.

Feels like I'm now stuck forever on a standard rate with my current provider who is Bord Gais Energy. I also have my gas with them so if I can't find a way to move to a new dual fuel tariff without moving to a electric smart meter tariff I will move my Gas account at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just because you have a smart meter doesn’t necessarily mean you have to have a smart tariff. I have a smart meter and I’m on a 24 hour tariff with Energia. Their customer service suggested the 24 hour tariff due to how we consume units.

"Tell us your MPRN and you'll only see products available to your electricity meter type." - I did this just now on Energia and they then give you a choice off products smart or standard.

This is excellent - thanks Fighting Tao - so Energia give you a choice and don't force you on to a smart tariff. I think they might have my custom shortly for electricity and gas.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0819/1316632-electricity-use-esri/ - this article would definitely put you off moving to a smart meter plan.

I wouldn't rule out everybody with a smart meter being forced on to a smart tariff either.

They want to go after the 5pm - 7pm usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The whole point of smart meters is to facilitate variable pricing via smart tariffs to encourage people to reduce their usage during peak periods. Did you have a view that smart meters had another purpose?

Should people with storage heaters get cheaper electricity at night? If you say 'yes', shouldn't people pay more for electricity between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. when demand peaks because people are arriving home from work but the lights are still on in offices and factories?

There seems to be a view out there that smart meters are some of con job, they are not. Nobody ever claimed that electricity would be cheaper if you got a smart meter. But they will help to flatten demand across the day, which will reduce the overall cost of generation. And seriously reduce the risk of blackouts.

No need for Meter readers is another purpose. I agree with most what you have said but only now people are waking up to the fact that they will hammer you for using electricity between 5pm - 7pm. For an OAP living alone that's just not fair and off course nothing is properly explained before these meters go in.

Advertisement