Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

• 18-02-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

Well the Apprenticeship for the ESB were announced the other day and about to send in my application form, so hopefully something will come of it. Doing my leaving cert at the moment and wondering if anyone on here works for them or knows how many apprentices they take on each year and what there like to work for.
    No cao for me haha hopefully ill have an apprenticeship somewhere come september
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's a good company.

Intake is quoted at about 100 per annum, but has been in practise somewhat less over the last few years. This figure includes both internal and external apprentices.

You'll do the standard four years, it's totally different now to what it was in my time, with much less emphasis on the electrical side, and more on the network and distribution side of the house. Still and all, you'll get good training, and come out as an electrician, although if you stay with the board, you'll have the title of Network Technician. FAS are involved more these days as well.

The best way to describe the job, is that its a good job in bad times, and a steady job in good times. When the tiger was roaring, ESB incomes were rather low in comparison to the private sector. However in lean times, the rewards are excellent, again by comparison.

Promotional prospects are good enough, it's a far more progressive company now than it was 10 or 15 years ago, and wages will rise with experience and time served.

Bear in mind though, that an apprenticeship is no guarantee of a position in ESB at the end of the day.

Best of luck with your application. I'm putting my brother in law in for it too, although he doesn't know yet :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

. I'm putting my brother in law in for it too, although he doesn't know yet :)

well he wont get it so, unless he is motivated enough to apply himself, but sure at least you tried, worth brownie points at the end of that day :D

You wont get anywhere near the training in the traditional private sector that the ESB will give you in Ireland should you get the position.
    They get good people and train them well. My only thoughts are that if you dont get into the ESB when you finish the apprenticeship you might find getting a job somewhere else a bit of a shock, as traditionally working for the ESB is not as demanding as say working for Mercury engineering, but it's still the best apprenticeship to get IMO., and there are lots of places to work that are not building sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

Thanks for bring it to my attention, I will surely put in an application myself :)
    I would be grateful if someone would care to explain whats involved on a day to day basis as you're training with the board, would it be a case of arriving at the depot bright and early and going out on call with an instructor to several locations in your constituency and carrying out maintenance etc or sitting in a classroom all day? also what type of salary would be offered would it be similar to a regular apprenticeship in the private sector?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

thanks for the replies that clears up a lot id also like to see cocobells question about day to day work answered.
    As far as i know the apprentice rates are the same as the private sector probably something to do with fas being involved in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Can I still apply for these apprenticeships?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

IMHO the ESB apprentices get very good training, but there tends to be large numbers applying these postitions. AFAIK most apprentices are not kept on when they qualify. Although the training is good I am told that some people find themselves with alot of training that is only much good if you are wroking in a similar enviroment to the ESB such as work in sub stations etc.
    As far as i know the apprentice rates are the same as the private sector probably something to do with fas being involved in them.
    I think you will find that the hourly rates are the same, but alot of pay for apprentices and electricians is made up of travel money and other allowances.
    also what type of salary would be offered would it be similar to a regular apprenticeship in the private sector?
    It depends on the company.
    No cao for me haha hopefully ill have an apprenticeship somewhere come september
    Think long and hard about this. I had the same thoughs as you when I was in your position. I served my time as an electrician and I have had enough of it (after 16 years!). I filled in my CAO two years ago!!

But if you want to serve your time the ESB would be one of the best places to do it, good luck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A good leaving cert is required for an ESB apprenticeships. Personally i had the best of both worlds with both 3rd level and site experience. I have noticed that it is easier then ever to get a 3rd level qualification part time now (and rightly so) So doing an ESB apprenticeship and going to college part time is an option, dont rule out some hard work now for big benefits later on.

ESB electricians dont tend to fit into standard electrical installation work. But with the way the current electrical supply market has gone, there are plenty of places looking for their skills .

have noticed that it is easier then ever to get a 3rd level qualification part time now (and rightly so)
    +1

The courses are designed for people with full time jobs and/or other commitments.
    So doing an ESB apprenticeship and going to college part time is an option, dont rule out some hard work now for big benefits later on.
    Good point. There was an interesting thread here not so long ago about being being fed up of working as an electician. I think the ESB encourage you to gain extra qualifications.

You also get free Knipex tools:D:D
    ESB electricians dont tend to fit into standard electrical installation work.
    For some it may work to their advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Whats it like to get into the ESB if you are fully qualified by any chance?

Well got through the aptitude tests and got an interview now for july also have one for the DAA. But still woundering is the training you get with the ESB alot different to what you would get in the private sector. Meaning if I did serve my time with the ESB, and then went into the private sector would it be all totally new to me or does what you do in the off the job phases cover everything?

• Advertisement

does what you do in the off the job phases cover everything?
    I worked full time in the industry for over 15 years in many different areas (mainly industrial, petro chemical, instrumentation, commercial, maintanence etc.) in a few different countries. I would be the first to admit that you will never even come close to covering everything. The more you know, the more you dont know!! The key is to keep training and learning.
    if I did serve my time with the ESB, and then went into the private sector would it be all totally new to me
    You could be unlucky and serve your time in an area in the ESB that there is not much employment in outside of the ESB. But to be honest if you apply yourself and work hard you will find work after you finish with the ESB. I think it all boils down to attitude and how hard you look for work. I have never had a problem finding work and I have had to look for it during lean times.

In short, if you get offered the job I think you should take it.

AFAIK the ESB dont keep people on after they finish serving their time in general.

Good luck!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

fishdog wrote: »
    AFAIK the ESB dont keep people on after they finish serving their time in general.Good luck!!

Down to about 1 in 4 or 5 now i believe

the training you'd get with the ESB is different to your average private sector experience, therefore working on HV and MV installation when serving your time within the ESB will allow you to carry out this type of work that is not covered by 90% of other apprenticeships, there is a demand for this type of qualified person, however ESB training would make it difficult for someone to walk onto a building site and settle down, different type of work, training and opportunities.

I would choose the ESB over a private sector apprenticeship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Johnny Blue

were would you get an application form? or do you just ring them up and ask?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Think your a few months late,, i think the applications finished end of april so interviews, tests etc would already be happening. Their is always next year

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Interesting thread. I've always believed that the ESB is one of the great success stories of modern Ireland, a public body that serves the public well and looks after its staff well. My sister worked for them before she got sick. My Ma worked for them during the War or as we so quaintly call it "The Emergency".

My grandfather ran a power station in Skibbereen before the ESB was founded and my uncle tells the story of the time my grandfather brought the first kettle down from Dublin. All the neighbours came in to watch it boil!

If I was starting out again, I would certainly do an ESB apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FL11

has anyone any advice on how to prepare for an esb apprenticeship interview??what kind of questions may be asked etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Just playing catch up on this thread.

Have you been called for an interview FL11?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

Hi, I am just out of an esb apprenticeship.. so bear with me, this is gonna be a long one...

The job itself is good most of the time, depends on who ur stuck with... the average day is start time 8.15 (in my area portlaoise) so u go in to whatever section office your in... eg, Areas (house metering/voltage complaints/breakdowns etc) or construction (line work, mini-pillar work or cables) there are more sections - they are just examples... U sit there for an hour or something (theres no panic) and then u mite throw rubbish outta the van, then tip on to the job (without panic) REMEMBER ESB = SAFETY... DONT RUSH - anyway, get to the site, eat, do a bit, (small bit) - lunch den, another small bit then home at 4.30 or 5.00.

There are so many N.T.'s (electricians) in each section, so its a case of eeny-meeny-miny-mo of who ur sent with.

THE INTERVIEW:

When telling them about your previous work experience, tell them ur were deadly, u were always in early, because thats the type of person u are, u never took sick days, u dont drink much... ;) u always work safe and tell them a few examples of "YOUR" ideas on how u improved something in your previous employment through safety. Also about working as a team and how u organise the team and duties etc. If u have to pretend u were a manager of some place, do it! I did! Your reference will go along with it! Anyway... THEY LOVE SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY... team players and also timekeeping...

THE MONEY:

I started when there was an agreement that gave us 360 per week for the first 3 yrs, then 550 per week in 4th yr. It is now the standard industrial wage. whatever that is 200 or something per week. But if u work outside dub, u get Eating on site allowance... which is at least another 50 euro... inside dublin, they pay bus fares... about 30 per week or something. When u go to fas in phase 2 4 and 6, they give u an extra 200 per week. (called subsistance) ((Was great for me in phase 6.. 800 per week! :) )). Theres also 50% off ESB bill and some other stuff, like free clother and tools etc.

For the interview, wear a suit and bring ur qualifications. Preach safety and team work. And i guarantee u will get in... I'm an expert at interviews, I turned down a job for the fire brigade.

Any more questions, pm me or email or whatever u do on this thing!

well did me interview there bout a week ago thought it went well enough so have to wait and see now to see if I get called for a medical in or around Augest. Fingers crossed anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Step down in pay
    You better believe it! Form working as an engineer with 50 people under you to being a 1st year apprentice the pay drop would be massive.
    I am writing to ask if anyone knows if i am overqualified , or too old to apply. hopefully not.
    IMHO, yes you would be over qualified. You seem very experienced. Some apprentices (not all) would not have any electrical experience whatsoever when they start.

I would guess that it is the practical end of things that you want to gain experience at. I am sure there are better ways.
    once my apprentice would be complete, i could apply for other jobs within the esb in my locality.
    What area do you want to get into?

jocotty wrote: »
    Hello,

I am , and have always bein interested in electricity distribution, have a degree in electronic engineering, and after collage worked as a planner for esb sub contractors, planning work for about 50 linesmen. I applied for a job with the ESB after that, but didnt get it. I then moved to england, and am working as a planner with the transmission grid operator. The thing is, i now need to return home, and would be more then happy doing my apprentice with the ESB, as long as it is in my locality at home. Step down in pay, but would like to get that sort of experience, and once my apprentice would be complete, i could apply for other jobs within the esb in my locality. I would like it , and think it would be good. I am writing to ask if anyone knows if i am overqualified , or too old to apply. hopefully not.

You will have to wait till next april to apply, thats when they recruit new apprentices. If you do get in, you wont have any guarantee of keeping a job there. Their is no age limit that i know of, just need to be over 16 with a junior cert. The money will be a big drop, you would be back to €200 a week and you may not even get your local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

thanks a million for the info lads..... 200 a week bit low alright, but to be honest,id actually do it if i knew id be kept on, with the chance to progress within the company after the apprentice, and if it was in my locality. Recession and all...and i have good reasons to get a job near home. i know id love the work, as i love outdoors, and hands-on work, being from a farming background! Also, im only 27, it wud be good for my future in ESB as an engineer. . and yes, it is the practical experience i am looking for, im not an office man!! and cant think of any better ways really. Anyway, will think about it , and will speak to ESB myself when the time comes. thanks lads.

They do take Speculative Applications im not sure how much good it is though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I seriously doubt ESB would take you on as an apprentice as it would be a major step back. You should send in your cv to ESB networks, power gen, ESBI, Ergrid etc and see what you get. There's a lot of work planned for the transmission system and these all need project engineers, planners etc.
    You could also try the independent windfarm operators like SWS, airtricity etc
    Good luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jocotty, below is a thread that may interest you. It is about electrical engineers and electricians.

There may be some trolling in it, but it is still interesting.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering and i applied for it this year but i didn't hear back.

The funny thing is due to the lack of work for electricians many are now retraining to become engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

oh lord!! ha! well no work for engineers in ireland.....most of my friends, with top class engineering degrees struggling to find work at the moment. Hard to know what to do so, eh? Might have tone down the west of ireland accent a bit further, in order to fit in a bit better here in the UK so...might be here longer then i tought!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niallscully

Hi, I am just out of an esb apprenticeship.. so bear with me, this is gonna be a long one...

The job itself is good most of the time, depends on who ur stuck with... the average day is start time 8.15 (in my area portlaoise) so u go in to whatever section office your in... eg, Areas (house metering/voltage complaints/breakdowns etc) or construction (line work, mini-pillar work or cables) there are more sections - they are just examples... U sit there for an hour or something (theres no panic) and then u mite throw rubbish outta the van, then tip on to the job (without panic) REMEMBER ESB = SAFETY... DONT RUSH - anyway, get to the site, eat, do a bit, (small bit) - lunch den, another small bit then home at 4.30 or 5.00.

There are so many N.T.'s (electricians) in each section, so its a case of eeny-meeny-miny-mo of who ur sent with.

THE INTERVIEW:

When telling them about your previous work experience, tell them ur were deadly, u were always in early, because thats the type of person u are, u never took sick days, u dont drink much... ;) u always work safe and tell them a few examples of "YOUR" ideas on how u improved something in your previous employment through safety. Also about working as a team and how u organise the team and duties etc. If u have to pretend u were a manager of some place, do it! I did! Your reference will go along with it! Anyway... THEY LOVE SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY... team players and also timekeeping...

THE MONEY:

I started when there was an agreement that gave us 360 per week for the first 3 yrs, then 550 per week in 4th yr. It is now the standard industrial wage. whatever that is 200 or something per week. But if u work outside dub, u get Eating on site allowance... which is at least another 50 euro... inside dublin, they pay bus fares... about 30 per week or something. When u go to fas in phase 2 4 and 6, they give u an extra 200 per week. (called subsistance) ((Was great for me in phase 6.. 800 per week! :) )). Theres also 50% off ESB bill and some other stuff, like free clother and tools etc.

For the interview, wear a suit and bring ur qualifications. Preach safety and team work. And i guarantee u will get in... I'm an expert at interviews, I turned down a job for the fire brigade.

Any more questions, pm me or email or whatever u do on this thing!
    I had an interview with the esb and was called bck for a medical last week which i also passed, do you reckon that means i have the job now or is there still a good chance of not getting it, also if i did get the job are the first 6 months training still down in portlaoise?

Advertisement