Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Night meter (Night-saver) wrong time

• 17-07-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I contacted Energia a few years ago as the time on my meter is not correct :

I have 1:15 difference compared to real-time.

They told me this wasn't an issue and the meter was still recording night usage correctly.

It's just come back to my mind now as I have to wait for midnight to charge my car every night ...

If the time on the meter is wrong, let say 23:45 instead of 00:00 how can ESB have the correct reading and the unit place from the night meter?

There are not connected meter like in France when you can have live data so that doesn't seem to make any sense to me...

Comments

The meter isn't wrong ,
    It's daylight savings time that is "wrong" .
    In fairness it's quite confusing
    12am - 9am summer
    11pm - 8am winter.
    The meter is always the same.its your watch that is different.
    The 15mins is probably and error in fairness but you still get your 9hours of off peak.
    I'm also getting the 6.8c kwh off peak. so cheap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I'm dredging this up again as I don't think the OP's question was answered.

I'm in a similar position where the time on my meter is actually 2hrs behind the correct time presently (in the winter the difference will only be 1 hour) - am I correct in thinking therefore that my "night-rate" hours are actually 02:00-11:00 (and 01:00-10:00 in the winter)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm dredging this up again as I don't think the OP's question was answered.

I'm in a similar position where the time on my meter is actually 2hrs behind the correct time presently (in the winter the difference will only be 1 hour) - am I correct in thinking therefore that my "night-rate" hours are actually 02:00-11:00 (and 01:00-10:00 in the winter)?

You need them to correct the time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Hi - day / night meter fitted today - I checked it at 9:25pm and the time on the meter read 20.02hrs. Will this rectify itself ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The timer on day/night meters are set to GMT so when you checked it at 9:25pm it should have showed 20:25hrs. Looks like it is set 23 minutes slow. I don't believe it is self correcting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hum, I have the same on my meter, I've just checked it.

It's 15:30 now, and the meter is reporting 14:15. I charge my electric car at night so want to use the night rate. Should I start charging an hour "early" so?

I see a comment above that the meters are set to GMT, in that case, as we're in summer time, being an hour behind might make sense for the display, but how does the meter correctly know when to start billing night rate in that case?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Assuming one has a day/night (NightSaver) meter and the clock is showing the correct time then the cheaper night time rates are available as follows:

Winter (GMT) time 11 pm to 8 am

Summer time midnight to 9 am.

Since your timer clock is running 15 minutes slow your cheap rate times will be:

Winter (GMT) time 11.15 pm to 8.15 am

Summer time 00.15 am to 9.15am.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Awesome, thanks so much for that Gooser!

On a sightly related topic, Energia do a plan that's fixed produced prices for the year apparently. Rates seem ok as well. It's the EV Drivers plan, but don't believe they check your car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

2hrs behind is handy for off peak in the morning

Better for night rate heating too so probably wouldn't be in a hurry , as long as everything is synced the same as the wrong timing obviously so you're not losing at the start of off-peak (immersion etc )

Advertisement