Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

AuntySnow wrote: »
    The wind vain on the vp2 is on a 30m phone cable
    It plugs into the transmitter unit at the station

Do you know how to setup Cumulus to pull the data from WeatherLink Live? I have researched this and can find very little advice.

There is supposed to be a place to put Api2 in and I do not see it.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Do you know how to setup Cumulus to pull the data from WeatherLink Live? I have researched this and can find very little advice.

Try the 30 day free trial of weather display
    Its brilliant and has youtube tutorials on every aspect of connectivity
    It accepts data directly over WiFi from your weatherlink device and pushes it anywhere you want,they're all on it
    The subscription is once off lifetime, 10 or 12 pounds Iirc
    Its now 58 new Zealand dollars I see or about £31
    Best money you'll spend
    I have it 17 years
    Its maker Brian Hamilton is based in New Zealand and always answers emails with any tech queries
    But you can free trial it for a month to see if you like it
    It will build a literally plug in and play website for you if you have cloud space
    https://www.weather-display.com/index.php

It accepts data directly over WiFi from your weatherlink device and pushes it anywhere you want,they're all on it
    Best money you'll spend
    I have it 17 years
    Its maker Brian Hamilton is based in New Zealand and always answers emails with any tech queries
    It will build a literally plug in and play website for you if you have cloud space
    Does that upload my data to wunderground live? That is what I am aiming to do!

I prefer Weewx
    https://weewx.com/
    https://github.com/michael-slx/weewx-weatherlink-live

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Best money you'll spend
    I have it 17 years

Agree 100%. Its light years ahead of Cumulus in the way of features but starting out Cumulus was great to get up and running.
    On another note love that mast that you have your anemometer on.
    I know Met Eireann use similar but was wondering does it move much in high winds especially seeing it doesn't have any guy wires attached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I use Cumulus 1.94 and it uploads to WUnderground Live, my own website, UKMO-WOW and a few others. Met Eireann WOW gets my data via the UK WOW.

Does that upload my data to wunderground live? That is what I am aiming to do!

Yes it does and twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Danno wrote: »
    I use Cumulus 1.94 and it uploads to WUnderground Live, my own website, UKMO-WOW and a few others. Met Eireann WOW gets my data via the UK WOW.

I was going to suggest wow, I dropped wunderground when they were taken over by IBM(?) and they stopped giving a free subscriptions to the mobile app. Petty, I know 🙄 😌

And if you like having full control and aren't adverse to a bit of code I'd recommend weewx too

I am still sort of concerned slightly about my Davis station and the temp readings.

If we compare my station with this one:https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD8
    My station:https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAV3

You can see my temperature fluctuates a lot, with respect to the sun/cloud variation! This station is only about 7 miles away so we are under the same cloud/sun regiment. Whereas the other station has very little variation from 2c. Do you think this is abnormal or something I should keep an eye on?

It does seem that my station does record accurate temperatures when we are under cloud.

I am still sort of concerned slightly about my Davis station and the temp readings.

If we compare my station with this one:https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD8
    My station:https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAV3

You can see my temperature fluctuates a lot, with respect to the sun/cloud variation! This station is only about 7 miles away so we are under the same cloud/sun regiment. Whereas the other station has very little variation from 2c. Do you think this is abnormal or something I should keep an eye on?

It does seem that my station does record accurate temperatures when we are under cloud.

Without knowing the surroundings of the station you are comparing with, its impossible to know
    Attached are the 3 Davis stations nearest me
    Beechfield is the closest at about 8 miles
    They are all within 25 miles
    All always much different in temp

• Advertisement

I suspect that the differences are simply down to the local micro climate caused by the position of the trees and the wind direction and over what the wind blows over before it reaches the temperature sensor.
    If the wind blows gently over a concrete/tarmac surface first, then it can easily be raised a few fractions of a degree C.

Without knowing the surroundings of the station you are comparing with, its impossible to know
    Attached are the 3 Davis stations nearest me
    Beechfield is the closest at about 8 miles
    They are all within 25 miles
    All always much different in temp

I am just wondering if there is anything I could do to rectify the quick variations? How did you get the temp to show 0.1c?

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I suspect that the differences are simply down to the local micro climate caused by the position of the trees and the wind direction and over what the wind blows over before it reaches the temperature sensor.
    If the wind blows gently over a concrete/tarmac surface first, then it can easily be raised a few fractions of a degree C.

There is grass surrounding the station. I am wondering what I could to limit quick variations.

There is grass surrounding the station. I am wondering what I could to limit quick variations.
    Just average it out over a (say) 30 minute periods.
    Sometimes, you just have to work with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Can you send a photo of your sensor setup. It would seem some solar radiation is directly affecting it. Is there one of those black pluviometers under it? Some of those Davis stations have them, which is ridiculous imo as that itself will heat up in sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy now in Kildare with blizzard like conditions

Can you send a photo of your sensor setup. It would seem some solar radiation is directly affecting it. Is there one of those black pluviometers under it? Some of those Davis stations have them, which is ridiculous imo as that itself will heat up in sun.

No, there is a white housing surrounding the Aspirated fan and Humidity/Temperature sensor. There is grass below it.

I was hoping the aspirated fan with produce a real time, accurate temperature in daylight hours.

I am just wondering if there is anything I could do to rectify the quick variations? How did you get the temp to show 0.1c?

I'm not sure I understand?

My weather station is over reading again...this shouldn’t be happening with a £1000 weather station!

I6CZWg2.png

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD8

Dropped to 2.4c once it clouded over. Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wanna rid of it? I'll be more than happy to take that burden off your back. ;):D

Dropped to 2.4c once it clouded over. Pathetic
    Don't forget the first rule of climate, "the sun heats the ground which in turn warms the air."
    Sun shines surface temperature rises, sun clouds over warming affect diminishes, air above ground cools.

Well there’s nothing wrong with the actual sensor or as it reads accurately on cloudy days or at night. It’s something around it.

My weather station is over reading again...this shouldn’t be happening with a £1000 weather station!

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD8

Are you comparing grass temp stations with your own air temp station?

At a quick glance, it seems the other two stations are reporting grass blade temps whereas you're recording standard 4ft air temps? :confused:

Danno wrote: »
    Are you comparing grass temp stations with your own air temp station?

At a quick glance, it seems the other two stations are reporting grass blade temps whereas you're recording standard 4ft air temps? :confused:

No, those are Davis Vantage Pro2 stations. We are not supposed to get anywhere near 4c today.

This is the setup of my station. There is grass behind it followed by tarmac. I can’t seem to find a location that has pure grass.

It’s overeading again by about a 1c.

TBmXssr.jpg

Up to 4c. Air temperature is about 1c.

Up to 4c. Air temperature is about 1c.

Sit the console on the rain bucket for an hour and compare the inside and outside temp after that hour
    Location looks fine, being in the shade would be reducing the temp a bit if anything
    That field out the back would be perfect because its in normal exposed sunlight

I would move it further away from the fence, best to have a free-standing pole. if the sun was to warm it up and the wind blows towards the sensor, it could cause fluctuations.

• Advertisement

The three main components of the Davis can and IMHO should be separated where possible. Also, all sensors should be ~10m away from buildings and artificial surfaces.

Advertisement