Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Does the Davis Vantage Vue Weather Station come with the pole? or is that something that needs to be purchased separate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You'll need to purchase that separate or make one up yourself
    Cheapest would be an 8 foot wooden fence stake preferably a king post and drive that into the ground or set cement around it in a 2 foot hole,covering later with soil when its set

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just don't forget about pole diameter limitations.

493820.png

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Hi folks. Just looking for some advice. I'm looking to dip my toe into the weather station world and I'm a bit lost TBH. I have a budget of about €200 and would like something I can view through an app. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Been looking at this model myself which is within that sort of budget, it is also compatible with external plugin for weather view

Aercus Instruments Weather Station Wireless Professional WS2083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I've had a WH1080 weather station for 8 or 9 years. I had the data uploading to wonderground and a freebee website I made myself. Sensors gradually stopped working about 2 years ago. I've recently ordered a whole new system, WH3000 SE. It should be here in the next day or 2 hopefully.

I used to use cumulus and since I've mow got a newer laptop I had to download the software again, cumulus MX. Only problem I'm having is installing the software, it seems to run in CMD prompt only?

Use weather display
    Way better

http://www.weather-display.com/index.php

OK, I've ordered the Froggit WH3000 SE from them directly. Strangely enough, they don't sell the mounting poles so had to order that separately from amazon. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get a play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I've had a WH1080 weather station for 8 or 9 years. I had the data uploading to wonderground and a freebee website I made myself. Sensors gradually stopped working about 2 years ago. I've recently ordered a whole new system, WH3000 SE. It should be here in the next day or 2 hopefully.

I used to use cumulus and since I've mow got a newer laptop I had to download the software again, cumulus MX. Only problem I'm having is installing the software, it seems to run in CMD prompt only?

Legacy Cumulus is here: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Software#Cumulus_1

You can copy over all the old Cumulus data from your old laptop and keep it!

Weather station arrived this morning and I got everything set up.
    Uploading to wunderground, weathercloud and Ecowitt weather.

I've a bit of work to do on my website before I get it uploading there. Very happy with the new display, very snazzy!

I also got it uploading to a new twitter page I set up for it, https://twitter.com/SwinfordWeather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I've a bit of work to do on my website before I get it uploading there. Very happy with the new display, very snazzy!

I also got it uploading to a new twitter page I set up for it, https://twitter.com/SwinfordWeather

Looks great, best of luck with it.

On a related note,I've a 2 year old dell machine that freezes after about 8 hours if using it to run 24/7 for weather tweets

I don't hear its fan ever,do I have any comeback with dell?
    Standard 12 month guarantee was provided
    I did not buy an extension but surely this comes under 'fit for purpose ' in online buying rules somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mortelaro wrote: »
    On a related note,I've a 2 year old dell machine that freezes after about 8 hours if using it to run 24/7 for weather tweets

I don't hear its fan ever,do I have any comeback with dell?
    Standard 12 month guarantee was provided
    I did not buy an extension but surely this comes under 'fit for purpose ' in online buying rules somewhere?

Good luck trying that. A decent PC tower is very cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Great job. Is it reporting station pressure because it's saying 1003 hPa, which would imply you're at about 175 m amsl? Is that right?

Great job. Is it reporting station pressure because it's saying 1003 hPa, which would imply you're at about 175 m amsl? Is that right?

I need to check, might need to calibrate. I'm at 72m ASL according to google maps, but on one of the sites I'm uploading to, I put in my location on their map and they have me at 68m ASL (no wonder I do be dizzy:D ).

My next headache now is to get it uploading to my website. Years ago I had it reporting from wunderground I think it was, in a flash player iframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Cumulus can upload weather data to your own website via ftp, if set up to do so. However, if your website accepts only secure ftp connections, you must use third-party tools. I had that problem, so my own weather page data is uploaded by freeware WinSCP.

By the way, I think your weather station is the closest one to my own one at the moment. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Cumulus can upload weather data to your own website via ftp, if set up to do so. However, if your website accepts only secure ftp connections, you must use third-party tools. I had that problem, so my own weather page data is uploaded by freeware WinSCP.

By the way, I think your weather station is the closest one to my own one at the moment. :)

Yeah, I'm not too far from you. Have been following yours when i set up mine originally around 2012/13!

When I decided to get my weather station back up and running again, I didn't expect this much hassle! I thought it would be more or less "plug & play". To the most part it is, bit time consuming getting set up and creating the different accounts for the station to report to.

I'd done a bit of research while I was waiting for my WH3000 SE to arrive. I set up the various accounts beforehand and even set up a twitter page for the station to automatically report to.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ISWINE1

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=276ad5e8-203e-ea11-8454-0003ff59ab13

https://twitter.com/SwinfordWeather

I also found a plugin for my website that would work for my weather station and had some very nice page templates to use on my website. So far so good..... or so I thought!

Weather station arrived, got everything set up in place of the old WH1080. 1st difference was this is all worked on wifi. No usb ports, no need to connect to a pc. That ruled cumulus out. Everything is set up from an app you have to install on your phone. OK, download app and have everything set up pretty quickly and easily.

Now to set it up with my own website. The plugin I'd installed, needs to connect with Ambiant weather, the one service my weather station doesn't connect too.

Back to google I go (what did we ever do before google!) to see if I can connect wunderground data with my site. There seems to have been major changes there recently, but after a lot of research I've found that I can gather the data my station is uploading and show it on my own website through an "API".

This is a little beyond my skills so I've had to get the BIL involved. So now, he's developing a plugin that will pull in the data from wunderground and display it on my own website.

To be continued.....

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    OK, I've ordered the Froggit WH3000 SE from them directly. Strangely enough, they don't sell the mounting poles so had to order that separately from amazon. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get a play with it.

Ok, she arrived yesterday and working away very nicely and very easy to setup and understand.

What's the best app/site to upload data to?

• weather underground is the site I use www.wunderground.com
    I believe that many stations only allow one site at a time.

weather underground is the site I use www.wunderground.com

That's currently off line for adding new stations.

• Advertisement

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Ok, she arrived yesterday and working away very nicely and very easy to setup and understand.

What's the best app/site to upload data to?

I have mine uploading to

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ISWINE1

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observa...4-0003ff59ab13

https://app.weathercloud.net/d2948079482#current

weather underground is the site I use www.wunderground.com

Think they're having some issues.

I like the new weatherlink live device from Davis and the much improved App
    Its pricey though but I'm very tempted

https://youtu.be/JA5mYuFSKno

Ok I splashed out
    You need pro about 4 euros a month to change the updates to everybody to 5 min intervals and to store your data and give everyone access to it

On your home wifi the app becomes like the console on your phone with 2.5 second updates on all data
    You mainly notice this on wind speed

I've had a few issues which I'll be getting on to the place I bought it from tomorrow

For example theres no reset button and according to Davis no way to delink it from one account and add a different one
    That cannot be true
    I think I got a bad Davis webchat agent
    The webchat service is dreadful bad

I'm attaching a screengrab of the main app page
    This and the chart data can be embedded in your own website
    Anything embedded will update every 5 mins if you have pro
    But it can't talk to twitter
    More later

Davis are horrendous bad at support for their weather stations since the company has been bought out
    Their webchat is a joke and they will answer emails a week late and not follow up
    Ring them in the United states and you are put on hold for Ages

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I agree. I have had a Vantage Pro for years. You are, effectally, on your own. And spares cost a leg and an arm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I bought 3x TP1080WC in Maplin or somewhere more than 10 years ago.

Had one running in the centre of Galway for years and there's still one in place, that is connected the Galway VHF Group APRS digipeater. (Ham radio gear, for those who don't know).

Well ... One of those was still on the shelf, never unpacked.

Spend yesterday unwrapping and assembling it.
    49716183356_a55097f220_c.jpg

Integrated it into my OpenHAB installation (using pywws and MQTT)
    49716843591_87fd84e63d_c.jpg

And added the configuration to export the data into a database
    49716013868_91fba23b55_c.jpg

Calibration is done and it's now on the Weather Underground Wundermap.

/M

I need to check, might need to calibrate. I'm at 72m ASL according to google maps, but on one of the sites I'm uploading to, I put in my location on their map and they have me at 68m ASL (no wonder I do be dizzy:D ).

My next headache now is to get it uploading to my website. Years ago I had it reporting from wunderground I think it was, in a flash player iframe.

Well, after 2 months, alot of head scratching and a bit of hair loss, i've finally managed to get my weather station reporting live on my own website!

A bit of a workaround, but its more or less what I wanted. I've a bit of dickying up but it will do for now!

https://michaelmaye.com/swinford-weather-station/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Guys I finally put my blessed 5-1 up but it's not receiving data from the sensor.

It's about 30 feet away from the base but is over a hedge(just). Does it need line of site.
    I can raise it if needed.
    I tried setting it up beside each other but still no joy.

TIA

Advertisement