Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rumen Fluke Treatment

• 11-02-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can buy Zanil (Oxyclozanide) for the treatment of rumen fluke? I tried my own vets but they cant source it, I think this is the only one that treats rumen fluke or am I wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I think this is the only one that treats rumen fluke

Yes according to jack keneddy in the farmers journal, it's the only one to kill em.
    Don't know where you can get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

I think this is the only one that treats rumen fluke or am I wrong?

Your correct Zanil is the only one to kill stomach fluke, it's out of stock with all suppliers in my area, will not be available with any of them until very late feb or early march. Luckily I got mine early some of the neighbours are really trying hard to get their hands on it but can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are we over panicking about this whole "Stomach Fluke" thing. I don't think it is as widespread as people think.
    Jasus, a lot of people don't even do them for liver fluke.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

pakalasa wrote: »
    Are we over panicking about this whole "Stomach Fluke" thing. I don't think it is as widespread as people think.
    It depends. Considering the amount of flooding that the countryside has endured, i think that to ignore the issue would be a greater sin. That said, there are some farmers who just like with liver fluke, are at a greatly diminished risk.

If you can't get Zanil, ask you vet about rafoxanide (marketed as Ridafluke by Chanelle) and consider upping the dosage significantly for rumenal fluke. It doesn't really work at regular dosage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 michelle.shelle

Hi,

I done a lot of research on the different veterinary drug for the treatment of anthelmintic infections and oxyclozanide is the best drug on the market for stomach fluke, it is not efficient for the treatment for liver fluke so if you can get a combinaton product with oxyclozanide and another drug this would be the best thing. I dont know of any combination products for the treatment of stomach and liver fluke, maybe you might have to use two single products if it is needed.
    I think there is a veterinary formulation called levafas or something like that that contains levamisole and oxyclozanide and this has a short enough withdrawl period compared to drugs like nitroxynil and should be able to treat nematodes (roundworms) and stomach fluke if you have more than one problem to treat! Hope this is of help!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

I think there is a veterinary formulation called levafas or something like that
    Levafas diamond.
    Zanil can't be got in the country for love nor money!;) Not surprising considering no one heard of stomach fluke until about 3 years ago. Surprising though the pharma company hasn't upped production as it appears there is good demand for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

pakalasa wrote: »

It probably depends on where you are Pakalasa. if you are on dry sandy soil, neither might be a big issue it might not matter whether you dose or not.

If you are in the wet west where I am, it can be so bad that it ALMOST doesn't matter whether you dose or not!

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Just out of interest has anybody had confirmed cases of rumen fluke?

I asked the vet in our local factory what he thought and he was extremly dismissive about rumen fluke - he felt it was a 'miniscule risk'.

Then i met a rep from Norbrook who manufacture Levafas. He said the reason that rumen fluke has become such an issue was because it is spread by the water snail which had grown hugely in numbers from the wet years we had previously.

hard to know if its all hype...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

krazyklown wrote: »
    Just out of interest has anybody had confirmed cases of rumen fluke?

I asked the vet in our local factory what he thought and he was extremly dismissive about rumen fluke - he felt it was a 'miniscule risk'.

Then i met a rep from Norbrook who manufacture Levafas. He said the reason that rumen fluke has become such an issue was because it is spread by the water snail which had grown hugely in numbers from the wet years we had previously.

hard to know if its all hype...

got 10 samples done in the spring all had traces of rumen fluke and liver fluke, over half had a high burden. milk tank samples taken 2 months back showed a high burden still. will monitor tank every 2/3 months from now on.
    never had fluke problems till 12 months ago, serious problem cost dearly.
    some of our ground is wet, but not the west wet.
    previously would only have used 500ml of trodax about every 3 years on 400 head.
    reaaly caught us off guard around x mas time, all our heifers suffered badly, luckly didnt loose any.

dar31 wrote: »
    got 10 samples done in the spring all had traces of rumen fluke and liver fluke, over half had a high burden. milk tank samples taken 2 months back showed a high burden still. will monitor tank every 2/3 months from now on.
    never had fluke problems till 12 months ago, serious problem cost dearly.
    some of our ground is wet, but not the west wet.
    previously would only have used 500ml of trodax about every 3 years on 400 head.
    reaaly caught us off guard around x mas time, all our heifers suffered badly, luckly didnt loose any.

Hi Dar31,

I am curious about the milk tank sample testing for fluke:

1. If it is a test for antibodies, then surely it is just telling you about the previous infection (which you have presumable cleared with a dose). How long do antibodies take to appear in milk of infected cows, and how soon do they disappear after treatment? Totally open to contradiction here, but I would have a strong personal preference for checking dung samples for fluke eggs - old fashioned but robust and easier to interpret. If fluke eggs are detected in a dung sample the animal has fluke. If no fluke eggs are detected, it could still have immature flukes, but you are probably in the clear.

2. I understand that the bulk tank test can only tell you about liver fluke (subject to point 1 above), but it can tell you nothing about the rumen fluke. Is this correct?

3. How much does the milk test cost?

Sorry for all the questions, I just think that parasites are fascinating, if a bit frustrating.

Thanks

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sent a cow to ucd during the year and she had rumen and liver fluke - of course he said to use zanil , but where to get it ? wonder can it be got in the uk, we routinely do all cows at drying off for fluke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

My vet said to do all animals for rumen fluke, I did some for it last winter, anything that I thought that was underperforming was done.

I know a person who lost several animals from it and it was confirmed in his herd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

LostCovey wrote: »
    Hi Dar31,

I am curious about the milk tank sample testing for fluke:

1. If it is a test for antibodies, then surely it is just telling you about the previous infection (which you have presumable cleared with a dose). How long do antibodies take to appear in milk of infected cows, and how soon do they disappear after treatment? Totally open to contradiction here, but I would have a strong personal preference for checking dung samples for fluke eggs - old fashioned but robust and easier to interpret. If fluke eggs are detected in a dung sample the animal has fluke. If no fluke eggs are detected, it could still have immature flukes, but you are probably in the clear.

2. I understand that the bulk tank test can only tell you about liver fluke (subject to point 1 above), but it can tell you nothing about the rumen fluke. Is this correct?

3. How much does the milk test cost?

Sorry for all the questions, I just think that parasites are fascinating, if a bit frustrating.

Thanks

LostCovey

Analysing faeces for fluke eggs is an unreliable method of detection of fluke infestation. This is because early immatures and immatures can cause significant losses, and no eggs will yet be shed in the faeces.

Only adult fluke give rise to eggs in the faeces, and expecting fluke eggs to be present may give rise to a misdiagnosis/losses.

whelan1 wrote: »
    sent a cow to ucd during the year and she had rumen and liver fluke - of course he said to use zanil , but where to get it ? wonder can it be got in the uk, we routinely do all cows at drying off for fluke

Whelan can you use Rafazole, Flukex, or Ridafluke? All have the same ingredient as the Zanil (rafoxanide). It might be worth checking with your vet. As Red_Marauder said above, it is made by Chanelle veterinary in Loughrea. If your vet approves what Red Marauder said above then I can check it out with chanelle for you as I know someone working there. But almost anything that they sell needs a prescription now.

I see farmrite sold out of the zanil which shows that a lot of southern farmers got prescriptions and went to them. Maybe there's another UK or northern ireland seller that will sell to you if you get a prescription from your own vet??

Reilig, me oul' segoshia,

For once we absolutely totally agree on something!!!!!! More or less agree anyway, and your emphasis on the risk of disease caused by immature fluke is a fair point, even if it is more relevant for sheep than cattle.
    reilig wrote: »
    Analysing faeces for fluke eggs is an unreliable method of detection of fluke infestation. This is because early immatures and immatures can cause significant losses, and no eggs will yet be shed in the faeces.

Only adult fluke give rise to eggs in the faeces, and expecting fluke eggs to be present may give rise to a misdiagnosis/losses.

or as I put it
    If no fluke eggs are detected, it could still have immature flukes, but you are probably in the clear.

However, the point I was making is that a positive faecal egg test is always significant - not so sure if that is true of the milk test, which is what I was really questioning.

LostCovey

Whelan can you use Rafazole, Flukex, or Ridafluke? All have the same ingredient as the Zanil (rafoxanide). It might be worth checking with your vet. As Red_Marauder said above, it is made by Chanelle veterinary in Loughrea. If your vet approves what Red Marauder said above then I can check it out with chanelle for you as I know someone working there. But almost anything that they sell needs a prescription now.

I see farmrite sold out of the zanil which shows that a lot of southern farmers got prescriptions and went to them. Maybe there's another UK or northern ireland seller that will sell to you if you get a prescription from your own vet??

No rafoxanide won't do it Reilig. Oxyclozanide is the only product licenced in Ireland that will kill rumen flukes, Rafoxanide definitely does not. However a lot of people do not seem to realise that Oxyclozanide is in more products than just Zanil - e.g. the Levafas Diamond example given above.

LostCovey

LostCovey

Reilig, me oul' segoshia,

For once we absolutely totally agree on something!!!!!! More or less agree anyway, and your emphasis on the risk of disease caused by immature fluke is a fair point, even if it is more relevant for sheep than cattle.

There's no winner or loser here, you don't always have to be right. What you said is not true, its equally relevant for both cattle and sheep and goats for that matter and for you to say
    If no fluke eggs are detected, it could still have immature flukes, but you are probably in the clear
    is wrong and bad advice which can cause people to think that they don't have a fluke problem when they may have and may lose animals and profit because they don't dose for fluke.
    If you are in the wet west where I am, it can be so bad that it ALMOST doesn't matter whether you dose or not!

Don't dose your animals for fluke and see how well they thrive. Try bringing sheep that you haven't dosed for fluke to a factory - they won't be long throwing the liver out on a desk in front of you to tell you how bad your farming practices are.

We live in Ireland, our climate and land quality dictate that the majority of grazing land is prone to fluke. Every farmer should have an annual fluke dosing policy. To advise someone that it "almost doesn't matter whether you dose or not" is irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I'd advise anyone who may think their stock is at risk from stomach fluke to consult their vet.

Some of the information given on this thread is utter bullsh1t

To advise someone that it "almost doesn't matter whether you dose or not" is irresponsible.

It's just an irony-free zone isn't it?

For the record, and for the benefit of any pathologically literal/feeble minded people who my stumble on this thread, and for the clarity of all, please let me explain that I was advising no such thing.

I humbly apologise if I implied that livestock production in wet land in the west of Ireland could proceed without fluke dosing. I didn't mean to. It was irony. Wasted.

LostCovey

snowman707 wrote: »
    I'd advise anyone who may think their stock is at risk from stomach fluke to consult their vet.

Some of the information given on this thread is utter bullsh1t

Well, yes, that is true snowman707.

But if you don't specify which of the information you think is bullsh1t, and leave us to guess, you're not adding very much to the discussion are you?

LostCovey

• Advertisement

thanks lc another thread lost:mad:

whelan1 wrote: »
    thanks lc another thread lost:mad:

Don't be so predictable whelan1.

If a discussion upsets you, you should not feel compelled to join it, but as you are here, you are welcome to join in. If you have anything to say

If you have nothing to say but whinge about who is involved, you are still welcome.

Nice to see you are still around.

LostCovey

why bother answering a thread that is inevitably going to be shut down by your comments ... i give up .. you win... good night

As far as I can determine, the following is the complete current list of licenced products on the Irish market that can kill rumen flukes (i.e. contain oxyclozanide at the proper concentration). If there are others, I would be interested to hear about them.

Best regards,

LostCovey

Listed as Trade Name /Licence Holder = manufacturer usually / IMB Licence Number / Active Ingredient
    LEVAFAS C FLUKE AND WORM DRENCH Oral Suspension Norbrook Laboratories Limited 10999/042/001 Oxyclozanide
    LEVAFAS DIAMOND FLUKE AND WORM DRENCH Oral Suspension Norbrook Laboratories Limited 10999/036/001 Oxyclozanide
    NILZAN DRENCH PLUS Oral Suspension Schering Plough Limited 10277/027/001 Oxyclozanide
    PHARMAZAN C ORAL SUSPENSION 1.5/3.0/0.382 Oral Suspension Chem-Pharm 10823/020/001 Oxyclozanide
    ZANIL FLUKE DRENCH 3.4 Oral Suspension Schering Plough Limited 10277/043/001 Oxyclozanide

There's no winner or loser here, you don't always have to be right. What you said is not true, its equally relevant for both cattle and sheep and goats for that matter

Again, just for the record, this is untrue, Reilig, and if you had experience with both sheep and cattle, it is really obvious. Immature liver fluke are not equally relevant for sheep and cattle.

Sheep and goats are very susceptible to acute liver fluke disease, which is caused by immature flukes, and usually fatal.

Cattle do not normally get this condition, as they have greater resistance to liver fluke.

Cattle do get infested with immature fluke, they do suffer liver damage, but to a much lesser extent than sheep, and rarely show any ill effects. Sheep, especially lambs regularly die from the effects of immature flukes, often in numbers.

LostCovey

Sheep and goats are very susceptible to acute liver fluke disease, which is caused by immature flukes, and usually fatal.

Cattle do not normally get this condition, as they have greater resistance to liver fluke.

LostCovey

Is this more irony???. While older cattle are more immune to liver fluke (they still contract it and need to be dosed), younger cattle are prone to infection from immature fluke. This can cause significant condition loss or growth stunt and result in up to 30% loss. Fluke may be less fatal in cattle than sheep, but you are leading people astray by coming on here and telling them that cattle do not normally get immature fluke. Local vets and agricultural advisors are on red alert across the country after the wet july and are advising all farmers to dose against ALL types of fluke. Your statement above is misleading and if people were to follow the advice that you gave throughout this thread then they would not be dosing for immature fluke and only dosing when they saw fluke eggs in faeces which can often be too late to prevent losses - maybe not on farm deaths but significant dents in farm profit.

Cattle do get infested with immature fluke, they do suffer liver damage, but to a much lesser extent than sheep, and rarely show any ill effects. Sheep, especially lambs regularly die from the effects of immature flukes, often in numbers.

LostCovey

Sorry, Just reading your post again and I realise that I missed out on the above point that you made which shows that you and I agree. But I feel that the advice that you are giving to people is not to dose cattle for immature fluke?? Is it?? While immature fluke will rarely cause death in cattle, it will result in significant losses in condition and growth - people need to be advised to dose for it, especially in young cattle. On my farm I don't just dose to prevent death - my dosing policy is also based around cattle thriving and growth.

Sorry, Just reading your post again and I realise that I missed out on the above point that you made which shows that you and I agree. But I feel that the advice that you are giving to people is not to dose cattle for immature fluke?? Is it?? While immature fluke will rarely cause death in cattle, it will result in significant losses in condition and growth - people need to be advised to dose for it, especially in young cattle. On my farm I don't just dose to prevent death - my dosing policy is also based around cattle thriving and growth.

No worries Reilig, it is really easy on these forums to mis-read a post......or a person.

I wasn't exactly advising people not to dose for immature fluke - I wouldn't presume to advise anyone, but I would give my opinion. Any advice needs to be tailored to the farm & area.

However some things are universal facts. Flukes are regarded as immature from day 0 (when the animal eats the grass with the fluke cysts on it) to say day 80 or so when the fluke starts laying eggs, and is considered an adult. As it grows, it does more and more damage, as it tunnels through the liver No available fluke dose kills all immatures. Some doses kill some of them. The very best kill flukes over 14 days (but only a percentage of these) and a few doses kill more or less everything older than 50 days.

So when you say you dose for immatures, you mean you select one of the better doses. But assuming your cattle were on pasture infested with liver fluke (ie west of Kinnegad - joke) you let your cattle walk out of the crush after dosing with live immatures present in their liver, which your dose did not kill - no matter what dose you used. Furthermore, your cattle are picking up more immature flukes the second you let them out to graze, and the dose doesn't kill them after a day or two - none of the flukicides have a residual effect.

And yes, there is no doubt that if you are using a flukicide that kills immatures, you are killing more flukes, and you are probably be getting some better performance as a result. But you are removing a bigger percentage of the flukes - that's all, so it won't be a dramatic difference whether your dose kills 55% of the flukes in the animal or 68% (I made these percentages up).

The point I was trying to make was that immature fluke cause serious disease in sheep - I have seen sheep that were dosed every six weeks dying of acute liver fluke disease. That does not happen with cattle, possibly because they have a tougher liver with more fibrous tissue, and liver fluke find it harder to tunnel through it. Cattle also become resistant to liver fluke with age (as you say) partly because they react to fluke attacks by producing more fibrous (scar) tissue. Sheep immune systems just can't cope, and mature ewes are as susceptible as hoggets.

So while I do actually believe that there is relatively little to be gained from dosing cattle for immature fluke, I do it myself, because it does reduce the burdens. But it is nowhere near as important as with sheep, where if I use an adult-only flukicide, I will get deaths.

I think we also have to look at other measures, like drainage, fencing off wet areas, ditches and flooded areas, and also accept that there is land in the west which in a bad fluke year, is unsuitable for livestock, because the amount of dosing needed to keep them safe would be neither economic nor advisable. That is the type of land where I said it probably doesn't matter whether you dose or not - some places which have been heavily grazed by sheep are almost that bad, although I did mean it as a joke.

This whole debate started about rumen fluke, where the same weather & ground conditions favour its development.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.........who owns these legs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cowmad

It only takes a poddle of water for an animal to get fluke. Fluke is a major problem every where.Fluke is the number one problem in animal health followed by IBR then BVD

Advertisement