Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

is there any chance of getting a list of all exchanges that are being upgraded i went to your site and couldnt find a list, did the test and not date as yet but would just be interested in know what way the fiber is an if it is likely to coming out my direction anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

Hello Garfield

I've recently switched to smart telecom and I have also signed up for BB.

But my question is the same as a few others and has either been avoided or missed I work for eircom's technical support team on DSL and as of next month they will be charging for people who go over their CAP or so I'm lead to believe.

IE.. €40 - 4GB
    €60 - 8GB

Will this apply to me when your service goes live?

Also if you are looking for a certain amount of demand before you give us the 256upload how many names do you need I'll start taking them tomorrow and I'll email them to the boss!! :)

Thank you for answering questions it really shows Smart in a better light than any other ISP this country has ever seen keep up the good work.

Jaoibh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

So smart do intend to upgrade more exchanges on a continuous basis? Will exchanges continue to be upgraded for the forseeable future at the pace that they will be over the next 6 months, or will it slow down significantly once the current crop are done?

I'm just trying to get an idea of where people who are on exchanges that aren't currently planned for unbundling stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Moriarty wrote:
    Wideband, what exactly are you asking him?

It just looks like a rant for the fun of it to me.

read the post, and make your own assumptions...and stop flaming for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I read your post. I wasn't flaming, I was asking for you to make your point instead of ranting, and warning you that if you continued in your current form you'd be banned from this board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

another exchange questions, i'm on CABRA. The exchange code is CABD. No date available yet. Anyone idea when equipment will be installed here. my contract is up with eircom and i'm currently waiting for yee or NTL to get into my area.

Also as mentioned by a number of people what will be the story with interleaving with regards to pings for gaming?

And kudos for coming onto boards.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

bla wrote:
    is there any chance of getting a list of all exchanges that are being upgraded i went to your site and couldnt find a list, did the test and not date as yet but would just be interested in know what way the fiber is an if it is likely to coming out my direction anytime soon.

This would be handy. I'm out in Ratoath Co. Meath (my exchange is RTHD). I don't have my phone line activated or hooked up yet (am investigating the free offer from eircom in getting this hooked up) but I'd dare say Garfield that you don't have any immediate plans for having this quickly developing village wired up sometime soon?

Hello?

Garfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Jaoibh wrote:
    Hello Garfield

I've recently switched to smart telecom and I have also signed up for BB.

But my question is the same as a few others and has either been avoided or missed I work for eircom's technical support team on DSL and as of next month they will be charging for people who go over their CAP or so I'm lead to believe.

IE.. €40 - 4GB
    €60 - 8GB

Will this apply to me when your service goes live?

Also if you are looking for a certain amount of demand before you give us the 256upload how many names do you need I'll start taking them tomorrow and I'll email them to the boss!! :)

Thank you for answering questions it really shows Smart in a better light than any other ISP this country has ever seen keep up the good work.

Jaoibh

Jaoibh,

I'm not trying to avoid questions. Just lots of questions.
    Smart don't have download or upload limits. Of course with people saying 128k upstream is 'miserly', the upload limit shouldn't be an issue ;-)

We don't have download limits. That's there principally for simplicity. We do have to cover ourselves against wholesale abuse. By that I don't mean people using a few more GB that other people. I mean people with a bittorrent collection that TimeWarner would be proud of! So, it's a bit of a fudge, but not much. We'll watch it closely. Like I said in another post, with all the investment that goes into this rollout, it doesn't make sense to skimp on IP.

As for the 256 question, I'll discuss it internally. As for expressions on interest in such a service, being able to record and review such interest would be useful. Don't know what mechanism to use for that though. I don't want my mailbox full of requests right now. That would just slow everything else up.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No question as such, but I really would recommend that the basic package have at least 256k upload as standard.

If downloads/contention isn't an issue as you've stated, I don't see why the upload speeds should be set so low or indeed why you would plan to charge extra for any slightly increased speed.

Moriarty wrote:
    So smart do intend to upgrade more exchanges on a continuous basis? Will exchanges continue to be upgraded for the forseeable future at the pace that they will be over the next 6 months, or will it slow down significantly once the current crop are done?

I'm just trying to get an idea of where people who are on exchanges that aren't currently planned for unbundling stand.

As the network rolls out we're going to the biggest/ most accessible exchanges first. Next we'll go to the next biggest/ next most viable exchanges. At some point, it won't make sense to go to smallest exchange/ furthest away exchange. What point is that? Don't know. We're reviewing exchange requests all the time. Bit of a fudge, but that's where it is.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Moriarty wrote:
    I read your post. I wasn't flaming, I was asking for you to make your point instead of ranting, and warning you that if you continued in your current form you'd be banned from this board.

Re-read his post he has some very valid points and issues raised which haven't been answered.

PiE wrote:
    No question as such, but I really would recommend that the basic package have at least 256k upload as standard.

If downloads/contention isn't an issue as you've stated, I don't see why the upload speeds should be set so low or indeed why you would plan to charge extra for any slightly increased speed.

PiE,

It's hardly 'so low'. It's the standard at present. There seems to be significant interest in a 256k upstream. I've said we'll look at it. We would charge extra. It is twice the upstream speed and that will have an impact on pricing.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Okay Garfield, Im on IOL BB in tramore (Waterford), are you supplying to my town? If so i need to sell this product to my parents, exactly how much will your BB package on its own with nothing else and all of the equipment to set up myself be?

And how much is your overall package, BB, Line rental and phone calls?

Thanks dude!

We don't have download limits.
    Garfield.

Thanks for making that clear

Regards

Jaoibh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

We would charge extra. It is twice the upstream speed and that will have an impact on pricing.

Heh, that does not compute. You said yourself that current standards are not 'true broadband'. The downstream is four times the standard for the same price, but upstream is somehow different?

But hey, who am I to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

I would like to add my voice to those urging 256kbps (minimum!) upstream and preferably more than that.

Videoconferencing of any quality at all is impossible at 128kbps. You could certainly use this as a selling point. A lot of Irish people have relatives overseas (in countries where caps and tiny pipes are NOT the norm, thankfully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Can I ask some questions? Is this "Line Rental" the same "Line Rental" I am paying to eircom? If i sign up with SMART will I still have to pay line rental to eircom for my line?

The website says that my exchange will be upgraded in July / Aug; So if I sign up now and take SMART's phone service does that mean I will be in the 100,000 or does that begin when i get BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Don't see how I've committed a banning offence Moriarty, Heres the simplified or edited version to make it clearer.

<Smartcom FAQ>
    Do Smart Broadband have download or upload limits?
    There is no limits on the amount of data that can be downloaded or uploaded however users whose usage is deemed excessive on a regular basis will be contacted and restrictions will be used if the activity persists.

***what is the "deemed excessive"?

<Smartcom FAQ>
    How much is Smart Broadband?
    Smart Telecom provides a very competitive price. We offer free self installation, free modem, optional wireless modem, a speed of 2Mbs and free line rental for your telephone, all for just €35.00 (including VAT).

***the FAQ doesn't mention ......"first 100,000 customers to register for Smart Broadband will receive FREE line rental FOREVER! at €35.00 " just says all for just €35.00 per month (incl. VAT).. .....so is the cost €35.00 plus €xx.xx line rental for those not in the first 100,000....and is the 100,000 for Ireland or Dublin or Exchange?

<Smartcom FAQ>
    How fast is Smart Telecom’s Broadband connection?
    Smart Telecom offers all customers a download speed of 2Mbs and an upload speed of 128kbs. This means you can download information at a very high speed.

***2Mbs / 128kbs.....whats the real advantage over 750kbps / 128kbs....minimal id say...unless you only wish to download music/videos all day..no real advantage for gaming, hosting or web surfing.

***With Smart Vision (TV package) is this through the broadband line too.....will this affect the broadband download speed??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

you haven't given an answer on interleaving. will it be turned off?

also, only interested in this if you significantly increase the upload speed. 256 at the very least. preferably higher.

Kapper

I found out yesterday when I was speaking to the Rep that you only need to worry about SMART from now on Eircom are have nothing to do with how your billed so you dont have to pay for a line rental through them... and since smart arent charging for it when you sign up.. you dont have one!

• Advertisement

neon_glows wrote:
    Okay Garfield, Im on IOL BB in tramore (Waterford), are you supplying to my town? If so i need to sell this product to my parents, exactly how much will your BB package on its own with nothing else and all of the equipment to set up myself be?

And how much is your overall package, BB, Line rental and phone calls?

Thanks dude!

Neon_Glows,

Check the website www.smarttelecom.ie for details of the rollout. If you still have questions, let me know.
    The BB package isn't available on its own. It's BB, calls and line rental (first 100K customers free line rental). The equipment is free, so we'll be sending that anyway. Also, it's ADSL2+ CPE. I don't want to get accused of 'pimping' twice today, so if you have other questions, please send a private message.

Garfield.

phreak wrote:
    you haven't given an answer on interleaving. will it be turned off?

also, only interested in this if you significantly increase the upload speed. 256 at the very least. preferably higher.

Not avoiding the interleaving question, don't have an answer right now. Will post as soon as I do.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Jaoibh wrote:
    Kapper

I found out yesterday when I was speaking to the Rep that you only need to worry about SMART from now on Eircom are have nothing to do with how your billed so you dont have to pay for a line rental through them... and since smart arent charging for it when you sign up.. you dont have one!
    Thanks, Just some more clarification then. If I order SMART now and use there phone service I presume I pay eircom line rental up until I get BB (some time in July) then I pay €35 + what ever calls I make for my BB line and Phone line.

If I order now will I get this or is it when I actually get BB installed I find out if I am in the 100,000

Ruhan wrote:
    This would be handy. I'm out in Ratoath Co. Meath (my exchange is RTHD). I don't have my phone line activated or hooked up yet (am investigating the free offer from eircom in getting this hooked up) but I'd dare say Garfield that you don't have any immediate plans for having this quickly developing village wired up sometime soon?

Hello?

Garfield?

I'll get full listing over the next day or two. Standard caveats will apply to dates, especially the ones later in the summer. Ruhan, if we can get fibre to the exchange in any kind of reasonable fashion, we'll be there. Don't know if we can, don't know when we could. Sorry.

Garfield.

Kappar wrote:
    Thanks, Just some more clarification then. If I order SMART now and use there phone service I presume I pay eircom line rental up until I get BB (some time in July) then I pay €35 + what ever calls I make for my BB line and Phone line.

If I order now will I get this or is it when I actually get BB installed I find out if I am in the 100,000

Kapper,

€35 BB
    €XX for your calls.
    €0 Line rental.

Between now and then, your curernt situation remains in place.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I imagine the vast bulk of people this will appeal to (quite a few I imagine) couldn't care less about upload or download speeds as long as its cheaper than Eircon and cuts their phone bill. Most of the current BB products out there only have a 128 up offering as it is and people are still signing up to them.

What is the line rental to be if you are not in the first 100,000 people who sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Im with netsource and have been for two years ,but ive signed up with you ...im wondering how will it work for me ...its important for me to have BB each day and im wondering ???your girl on the phone said it will be in d12 drimnagh in march to april ...how will i know when to canel my netsource line to make way for your your line ,is there an easy way to cross over without ...going without my line for a couple of weeks
    if you have any ideas on this i would be greatful
    thanks dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Garfield - thanks for all the info. Didn't take much to convince me. I stopped reading after I saw 2MBit and €35. Though I'm pretty certain my line will only handle 1MB.

My only worry is that my eircom contract expires at the start of March. i'm on the Crown Alley POP and was told on the line checker March/April.

Don't fancy the prospect of going without BB for 1-2 months.

Will exact dates be released for exchanges at some point. Or is it a case of wait and see with no guarantee?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Hi,

Firstly just to say very nice to actually have someone come on here and field questions in what appears to be a very customer unfriendly bb arena at present.

Anyway just to reitorate what a couple of others have alluded to as regards 'excessive use'. I ask because often what providers consider excessive and what customers consider excessive are 2 different things. For instance at 2meg connection (very nice) for example with Eircom with 4gig, 8 gig or even 12gig would be a bit of a joke. Do you have an idea as to what your acceptable use will be. We see many operators claiming unrestricted download/upload but then once customers come in and a few people use it 24/7 a harsh usage policy comes into affect with a ridiculous cap. This tends to be the case when customers are already locked in and have to pay for 6-12 months.

I'm no 'warez monkey' or watever other names people use here but I think at 2meg Im going to use it a bit more that I would otherwise as the speed simply allows more options.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Gsand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

monomaniac wrote:
    My only worry is that my eircom contract expires at the start of March. i'm on the Crown Alley POP and was told on the line checker March/April.

Don't fancy the prospect of going without BB for 1-2 months.
    after your 12 months you can quit at anytime once you give them a months notice you dont have to go into another 12 month contract

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement