Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

risteard7 wrote:
    A lot of pensioners & Dole people wouldn't have online accounts though.

So many do though.
    Edgware wrote:
    Taking bets on what, the Belarus greyhound Derby?

Slots, roulette, poker, bingo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really miss it

Not really for a drink (u can still buy cans) but for the atmosphere, killing time watching some random match on the TV, been annoyed at the loud drunken gob****es and for the music

Reckon most will be full for the first few days/nights when they open up again and wont be as comfortable as your used too but it should be back to our normal a few weeks after

Really miss it

Not really for a drink (u can still buy cans) but for the atmosphere, killing time watching some random match on the TV, been annoyed at the loud drunken gob****es and for the music

Reckon most will be full for the first few days/nights when they open up again and wont be as comfortable as your used too but it should be back to our normal a few weeks after

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't miss the pub atmosphere because I'm an introvert but there are two parts to my local pub and one is smaller and it's very rarely full which I do miss the lads from there. There's no TV on and the wifi is spotty so not much point using it. I've had some great conversations in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I reckon 10000 pubs and 50 kegs each on average, so 50000 kegs will need to be delivered in quick time.

That will be some operation.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    I reckon 10000 pubs and 50 kegs each on average, so 50000 kegs will need to be delivered in quick time.

It was 7000 that closed wasn’t it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A lot. I work in Dublin city Monday to Wednesday and would go for a few pints after work have a read of the paper and catch up with other traders/mates/regulars in Hogans and Grogans.

I miss work and a pint after a busy day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Edgware wrote: »
    Taking bets on what, the Belarus greyhound Derby?
    I've seen bets offered on computerised football games (Greece) and computerised chariot racing (Australia). They even offered form guides. To help you decide which computer-generated team to bet on.

Sounds utterly absurd, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My two locals(the 2 I'd drink in anyway) wouldn't use 50 kegs in 4 months...between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Sure you will, ande, sure you will.

Busted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Except for Budweiser of course

Whats the issue with Budweiser, did I miss something here

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Whats the issue with Budweiser, did I miss something here

You’re not allowed like it or drink it. There must have been a delay with your memo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't go to pubs as I don't play into the whole drunken Irish stereotype. If I do play into a stereotype it is the ruthless hate filled Irishman of the 10th century slaughtering Vikings. In many ways I dislike modern Irish heritage and Irish people who are so fake. That Father Ted sketch sums it up well, John and Mary, the fake smiles and then stabbing you in the back afterwards.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

**** me its depressing looking at these images. That place should be on par with hell right now :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Miss a few pints, but more than that, miss live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Off the cigarettes a week before the pubs shut, some might say this is selfish but if there's any good to come out of all this death and economic depression is that Ill have given them up, having a pint in a pub was always my downfall when previously trying to give the cunce up.

I don't go to pubs as I don't play into the whole drunken Irish stereotype. If I do play into a stereotype it is the ruthless hate filled Irishman of the 10th century slaughtering Vikings. In many ways I dislike modern Irish heritage and Irish people who are so fake. That Father Ted sketch sums it up well, John and Mary, the fake smiles and then stabbing you in the back afterwards.

There is help available.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Off the cigarettes a week before the pubs shut, some might say this is selfish but if there's any good to come out of all this death and economic depression is that Ill have given them up, having a pint in a pub was always my downfall when previously trying to give the cunce up.

If that’s the only way you can give them up then you’ll be back on them first time you’re back out. Biggest mistake people make when giving up is thinking they have it cracked too soon.

wish OL still sold those mini heineken kegs

be very handy in a time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

when do we think lads??? when will thy be open

• Advertisement

My two locals(the 2 I'd drink in anyway) wouldn't use 50 kegs in 4 months...between them.

Works out at 1.5 kegs per pub per week.

I am talking about the average, what you are presenting is the bottom end, hardly even viable at 1.5 kegs per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

If that’s the only way you can give them up then you’ll be back on them first time you’re back out. Biggest mistake people make when giving up is thinking they have it cracked too soon.

Ill have good momentum built up by the time pubs open again and I'm hoping to cut my drinking as well as stopping smoking, this is working out quite well. There's a pub 30 seconds from my front door so that lure is gone. I know, I'm a kunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Works out at 1.5 kegs per pub per week.

I am talking about the average, what you are presenting is the bottom end, hardly even viable at 1.5 kegs per week.

A keg of Heineken costs pubs 224. Price of a pint of it now on average is 5euro

5 by 88 pints -224 euro is 216 euro profit.

I don't know how many stay open when Sky is a grand a month along with insurance, heating, electric etc. I know a lot of the country pubs have got rid of Sky.

You would want to averaging 250 pints a week to make any sort of living if you own the pub which I think most do with the Friday, Saturday, Sunday trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't miss the pub myself.
    But that was something I felt before Corona. When I was younger I'd have to go out every week. Like it was so sad to stay in. Ah to be young and a fool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Cans can be just as good as the kegs.

A keg of Heineken costs pubs 224.

No it does not cost €224

• Registered Users Posts: 84,325 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dickie10 wrote: »
    when do we think lads??? when will thy be open

Maybe outdoor large beer gardens in June

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

_Brian wrote: »
    Haven’t been in a pub in 2-3 years.

I hope you're not contemplating a career as a T.D.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The key is to have pour one can and put the next one in the freezer. the next one will be perfect

Guinness in a freezer? Are you crazy? Room temperature, man!

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't miss them at all. How about when this is all over turning all the pubs that have a viable chance of surviving into gyms and restaurants.

Prohibition doesn't work.

Advertisement