Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Looks to me like : -

RTÉ ONE's audiences are massively down, I assume this is the reason for the takeover of schedule of this documentary, a winter WC doesn't help RTÉ really, and they might be worried if audience don't return to them following the WC in December.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭political analyst

But it was well known for years that the 2022 World Cup would take place in winter. If the documentary had been scheduled in as much advance as any other programme is then it would still get a significant number of viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good job RTE are not losing money hand over fist so they can do this

RTÉ and union negotiate 6% pay increase phased in over two years (thejournal.ie)

Audience numbers are massively down, you have to remember that Autumn and Winter are the biggest months for TV. Most new programming still premiers around this time of year. Outside of the Toy Show RTÉ this autumn hasn't had any major programme gaining an audience or even critical acclaim.

The Late Late Show itself is down massively from previous years, Nationwide is still getting the same audience that it ever had yet TLLS drop below it for the first time, Nationwide would be consider just a standard show with an average audience of 250,000 to 300,000 viewers, on the other hand TLLS would expect 350,000 to 400,000 viewers.

RTÉ next week looks threadbare, if TLLS doesn't get a bounce from The Toy Show where does that leave its stalwart show and channel. I some how doubt a normal episode of TLLS gets anything like 303,000 streams that the Toy Show got, if you go by that a show averaging 300,000 viewers is only getting about 50,000 to 60,000 streams, even then I think you'd be lucky to get those kinds of numbers for TLLS.

RTÉ should have seen the death of TLLS in 2019. But as I have said before, the sad passing of household names and lockdowns kept the audience somewhat alive, prior to that TLLS audience had had as bad a start to its 2019/2020 season, and that is now being replicated this season.

This is coupled with the fact that RTÉ cut so much, and did so in such an arbitrary manner, without considering the consequences of such cuts.

They are so unaware of the problems that resulted in those cuts they though that moving Sports over the RTÉ ONE would improve its audience share, but would have ultimately destroyed RTÉ2. Last month RTÉ2 was beaten to 3rd place by BBC1, and it just came in ahead of VMTV2.

RTÉ are afraid to look at their own internal problems, thus putting both RTÉ2 and 2FM on life support without any real plan, other than to whine about their public funding for the last decade if not more.

If you cut programming from RTÉ2 you automatically cut it on the player and the player's own output is basically bottom of the barrel stuff with no real budget given to them, I am not saying such content can't work but you need a bit of imagination... something that RTÉ don't have.

You would wonder who in RTÉ thought "The Love Experiment" would work as an hour long piece of TV, at best its 22 mins at worst its Blind date dressed up in some quasi-pseudo-academic-psychology-experiment.

But that is where we are, and unfortunately there aren't enough people aware of it or willing to state it.

______

Yesterday

Surely, Fair City must be bringing in plenty of viewers on RTÉ 1.

As for RTÉ 2, is Home & Away really so much less popular than it was in the 90s? Regarding other exports on that channel, I missed the last season of 'The Americans' because I forgot about it due to it being pushed into a graveyard slot. What's the point of showing imports if there's no consistency about scheduling?!

As for sport, I've no recollection of seeing so many GAA matches being shown on Saturday nights in autumn and winter on RTÉ 2 before the pandemic.

What are the internal problems that you say RTÉ isn't dealing with? Are the unions really willing to let the whole broadcaster sink rather than make it more efficient, i.e. all go down together?!

• Advertisement

Are the unions really willing to let the whole broadcaster sink rather than make it more efficient, i.e. all go down together?!

The unions know they won't let it sink - win win

So they think it's OK to screw ordinary licence-fee payers?

Whilst unions have some good attributes ultimately their subscribers are all that matters

I hope to god this pay rise does not apply to all those big earners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Wish I could go bankrupt then get what 60m to start up again....

3 night vanity piece for Seán from the looks of it and not the hatchet job I was hoping for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

When they showed an old clip from the LLS, with 'sponsored by Quinn Insurance'... kinda knew at that point this was gonna portray him as kind of a 'Robin Hood of business'. I'll give em credit, they cut away from it very quickly, but you'd still catch it.

It's a shame, kinda sensed it was going that way from the ads.

I think, but I have no real evidence, that the Soaps are holding up online, you have to remember most soaps are repeated due to +1 channels, daytime repeats and additional broadcasts on extra channels.

But they are nothing like where they were in the 1990s (that's near 30 years ago!) Home and Away was getting 300,000 on Network2, with the intro if the lunch time broadcast that has largely died. The only broadcast soaps still retaining their audience is Emmerdale and EastEnders (from the point of view that they were never as large as either Fair City or Coronation Street).

As for The Americans and other imports, RTÉ2 simply give up on them, fail to even promo them, The Americans could still be available on the RTÉ Player (It's not) and the lack of promotion is clear, though when The Americans first aired on RTÉ2 it was well promoted, nothing is promoted really except for brand and sure what kind of brand does RTÉ have for foreign imports nowadays?

Internal working practices its seems, RTÉ are still on a 31 week year, how is it that Today only goes out between October and May every year but Ireland AM is 52 weeks a year, Imagine the staffing costs for Today well out pass that of Ireland AM. I can see the difference in quality but do we actually need that from a daytime show?

Changing the many pay scales in RTÉ. The management is far more at fault than the Unions (but yes it is win-win for the unions), but I would wonder how RTÉ staff feel about their product particularly TV. As I said in the TLLS thread, I can't say anything about the Toy Show because: -

1. I didn't watch it
    2. Think of the Children
    3. Think of the money raised.

One RTÉ staff on twitter praised the Toy Show got a relatively benign anti-toy show reply and replied in defense of the show with out much thought.

Either motivation levels in RTÉ are at an all time low or they are completely unaware of the problems that exist.

Anyone in RTÉ want to reply as we come towards the end of the year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Well, neither Mark Little nor Tommie Gorman got to be chair of RTE. it's Siún Ní Raghallaigh, formerly of TG4. Let's see what she can do.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Good choice, she has experience as a TV executive and as a Board member. But she has a hard task taking over from 2 do nothing chairs over the last 15 years.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Well TG4 was creative in programming at the very least. But we'll see how she deals with the inertia and the apparatchiks protecting their various fiefdoms.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nor Fergal O'Rourke, whoever he is, the other guy on the shortlist. Must have felt a need to broaden the search...

Going back to the last-moment decision to have the Quinn documentary on RTÉ 1, what difference would it make in terms of RTÉ 1's audience during the World Cup? If viewers of RTÉ TV want to watch the World Cup, they'll watch the World Cup, regardless of what RTÉ 1 has to offer.

RTÉ ONE should not really feel the effects of the world cup, its a largely different audience. Their worry is weather or not audience will return. If RTÉ in total get a 26% share in both Nov and Dec they won't really care. I am only giving an opinions based on what few figures I have seen/can get over the last decade or so. All of which is available to everyone, I am not involved in the industry.

@iseegirls might have a different view point, they've seen the same figures and might have a differing opinion, sorry if I am dragging you into this.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't we establish a page or two back that the chair of RTE is basically just a figurehead - so does it matter who gets it?

Life ain't always empty.

The chair has responsibly to the company. They should be able to progress some issues in the organisation. Moya Doherty sat on some committee relating to higher wages and payment for big programmes. She and her successor should be able to bring some form of reform. IMO Moya and her predecessors took these role as simply a figure head a gift bestowed upon her by the Minister.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Here's the Examiners view !

8 years of Moya Doherty was an opportunity missed on her reappointment 5 years ago? Bizzare welcome from the press, oh! Does someone with experience know anything about media other than TV and Film!

______

Yesterday

@political analyst I am not sure that RTÉ would quick air a doc just because it didn't get an airing in January, I can understand the delay, but I would wonder why it couldn't wait another week.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On RTE media Toy Show The Musical is currently having more frequent ads than The National Lottery which is currently the highest spending organisation in the state advertising on all forms of media, will there be an audit as to where public funds have been blown?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

After it's over no figures will be released about ticket sales, citing "commercial sensitivity"

Then the whole thing will be wiped from history and never spoken of again.

Life ain't always empty.

Amazing how little any media outlets are giving to the video of Leo in a nightclub, sucking face with someone who isn't his partner.

From what I've heard, it's had a very serious knock-on effect. When the PR message 'Mr Varadkar is in an open relationship' came out, apparently nobody told his partner that they were.

I thought nobody cared about that sort of thing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The epic financial fail that the TSTM is heading towards will be off-set somewhat by the unprecedented amount of 'Govt' ads running at the moment - Its been turned up to 11. They seem to have ramped it up about 3 weeks ago which would coincide with the six week run into Christmas which I would think there's a premium ad rate for those weeks. There has been an increase of those ads on other stations too but RTE are getting the lions share.

I think every time RTE says - "The former Sinn Fein councillor Jonathan Dowdall..." they get another ad.

It's more about him cheating on his partner. I mean, the Finland Prime Minister attended a party get together, and RTE were covering that, no problem. Despite it being a non-story.

Leo is discovered to be cheating on his boyfriend, and nothing in the media. Very odd.

• Advertisement

deleted

Advertisement