Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why does Tubs need 4/5 staffers for an hour long show?

Wow love that band and Bob wasn't with with them long Trujillo was next in on the bass for them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE's youth programming being killed was genuinely heartbreaking.

But as for RTE presenters... we saw how unwanted Pat Kenny was when he parted ways with RTE. UTV dumped him before they went under, now Virgin Media have dumped him.

If RTE are trying to justify ridiculous salaries... then Dee Forbes is being just as incompetent as John Delaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

And that they lied and said it wasn't being killed/cut.

We should be all glad to hear that Larry Bass resigned from the Board of RTÉ.... just waiting for the rest of them to follow!

In fairness, bass is decrying the " welcome" he received from the board.........what did he expect??? Someone coming on/ board with such a blatant conflict of interests to 'eat your lunch'. Whoever thought it was a great idea to give him a ticket on the 'gravy train' must be a student of the Simon Coveny school of recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe he should have sent a family member to sit on the board in Moya Doherty John Mc Colgan style.

And he's is not the first Independent Producer to sit on the board Steward Switzer sat on the board while being CEO of COCO TV/Content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listening to a lot of RTE radio 1 today, and notice that at the end of each programme, they tell us who did the research, who was on sound, who produced, who edited and who the bco was.

Now from what I could gather, it appears there is a different team of people behind the scenes at each programme. I don't remember hearing a name being repeated.

Why could the sound person not be a 8 to 5 job and have one person do it all day? Could any of those other jobs be done by one person? Could someone do research in the morning and then for another programme in the afternoon?

Is it someone's full time job to do sound on LiveLine for example? For 75mins each day?

Why were 2fm djs Rick O'Shea, Will Leahy, Cormac battle and Dan Hegerty made permanent pensionable staff?

I am not sure Will Leahy is?

From my understanding many of the contractors get a 5 year contract from RTÉ, though at this point all of the above would be outside any 5 year contract. I thought Dan Hegerty was still on 2FM?

Re Contracts

Can anyone explain the thing surrounding that DJ that left RTÉ, an no longer works on Junior Eurovision or Love Island.... where is the media on this.... they don't even ask his replacement how the feel to be stepping into his shoes ... why all the tip toeing .... so much so that another thread was deleted from boards .... so we prob should tip toe ... but anyone want to explain this tip toeing

Due to the seriousness of the allegations. Obviously. But these allegations catch up. We saw that with the homeless charity fellow who took his own life, and is now the subject of a serious report.

Plus nothing can be done unless someone comes forward. As in the case of Anthony Flynn, many people had come forward to detail the very serious allegations made against him. And they came forward while he was alive too.

Unless someone comes forward, nothing can be said or done. And to discuss it here would only get boards into trouble.

Do you not think it is odd. I have never seen it like this before. I agree that due process has to be provided but not a single report. It's like the media have just kind of gone silent on it, like very hush-hush more hush-hush than ever before. I will leave it at that but very strange. And the other thread deletion rather than just a closure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭Archeron

Got home from work and as I walked in the door, rte were showing an ad for a new show called Cocooned.

Remember how scared and unhappy we all were during the pandemic? The uncertainty, the constant bombardment of death tolls and infection rate and stay safe and two more weeks. Well, as great as it is that the world is going back to normal, don't worry because rte are here to show you just how sad you were. You may not remember every difficult moment, but rte is here to remind you.

I heard mention on the radio during the week of people questioning telly people being allowed into the hospitals during the pandemic. Guess this new show must be from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Search on "new" boards is fcuked so pretty much any thread not being actively posted on may as well have gone down the memory hole. This seems to be a feature not a bug... makes it a lot easier for threads asking awkward questions to just go away.

Life ain't always empty.

Oh it's completely suspicious. Majorly so. But we saw all sorts of 'hush hush' and 'we didn't know' surrounding Jimmy Saville, or Harvey Weinstein. (I know they are extreme examples, but still). Anthony Flynn had credible allegations made against him whilst he was alive. But he was left-wing, so wouldn't surprise me if they were brushed under the table as 'the ravings of a homeless junkie' by his friends.

People who market an 'agenda' are so quick to ignore disgusting stuff happening in front of them. We've seen it time and time again. The silence is often deafening.

Man, two of RTE's 'much hyped' shows are tanking in the ratings.

The Rotunda, and 'yer wan from Love Island's' TV show are dying on their butts.

Another 'success' for Dee.

https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rtes-new-make-up-show-fronted-by-maura-higginssuffers-further-drop-in-viewers-40890713.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

34k viewers - any other station would just drop it there and then but RTE says its doing really well on the player that never works so every time someone goes to watch it it stops and you have to start over again....ahhhh I see a plan here....it's broken by design...

(some might say surely they record the IP, I laugh in your face)

If it was an American show they'd imported, it would be dumped to midnight or sometime in the early am's, like they have done with too many shows I could name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is there any verifiable numbers for viewers of shows or even users of the RTE player? Like 3rd party numbers, similar to JNLR or something.

That does seem like something that would be a lot easier to just make numbers up for, instead of TV viewers - "We had 500,000 viewers of it on the player in Aug 2021, no more questions"

TAM Ireland provide the live figures and Viewing On Same Day As Live (VOSDAL)

TAM Ireland had planned to incorporate 7 day viewing figures + 28day viewing figures after the show launched. (BARB in the UK provide this in their figures)

They are not doing well because they are on RTÉ2, which has no promotion, they have no promotion and even the 30,000 extra on the player should be considered bad, this is the kind of audience that a RTÉ ONE +1 gets.

"The way people watch programmes like Glow Up and 'The Rotunda' have changed," RTÉ said in a statement.

"Last week's third episode had an average of 57,700 viewers - Live + Vosdal. The viewing figures increased as the episode progressed and had a reach of 134,600. The show did well among women aged 15-34 and had a 20% share in the category.

"Glow Up Ireland has been doing really well on RTÉ Player - with over 60K streams for eps 1-3 to date, making the top 15 most popular shows on RTÉ Player since launch."

57,700 is an average over the course of the programme

Reach I am not sure what they are talking about, if it is just TAM Ireland reach, it is purely how many viewers it reached over the course of the episode live.

"Really well" on the "Player" 60,000 streams for 1-3 eps, is that 60,000 for each episode or 20,000. Even still this isn't great, especially if your Number 15 show is only getting 60,000 viewers.

This tells me viewing habits are changing but not to the RTÉ Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When a new series like that is heavily promoted you'd expect a reasonable number of people to watch the first one out of curiosity, an average of 57k likely means the later episodes are far, far below that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

To do “research” as he does absolutely no preparation whatsoever. Unlike Gaybo in his day.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

It’s going to be fun & games when the outdated TV license is replaced by a “broadcasting” or “enjoyment of media” license/fee/tax. How would they do it? Every household which has a fixed device, eg broadband or tv? Every individual adult with a device? Who or where will the exemptions apply to? Will it be applied as an add-on little percentage to income tax under the assumption that every working person has access to media and can afford it? Or should it just be absorbed into general taxes which may have to be tweaked (read “raised”) to accommodate it? I think probably the latter? How will likes of Tubridy the man in the bubble, Darcy the button dinger, or Duffy who still hadn’t mastered a single language, be paid?

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There is something to be said for if everyone has to pay it its akin to a tax and those receiving it should be paid in line with other state bodies, no excuses for anyone on near half a million a year to bumble their way thru an hour or so of radio "presenting" a day

• Advertisement

Ray could easily go to the UK and get a decent gig.

He does have a HGV license, doesn't he?

Advertisement