Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Why do you mention he was gay?

Keep up Rob.

Orange Order stands by Fermanagh County Grand Master after 'homosexuality is wrong' remarks

Why do you keep entering threads based on anything do with the north, yet constantly feign ignorance in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

janfebmar wrote: »
    Here in the 26 counties I also have visited all the counties, and I have seen dozens of bonfires, not in July, but on other occasions eg mid summer's night.

There is a difference between a bonfire that's six feet tall and one that's sixty plus feet tall festooned with effigies. A hallmark of stagnant loyalist so called culture, what it severely lacks in substance it tries to make up for in scale and volume.

I was in Belfast for the first time only last week, we'd intended staying three nights but couldn't wait to get out of the kip and checked out of the hotel and made a dash for the border on the second evening.

The flags didn't bother me, Union Jack and Parachute flags everywhere. Tbh their sh*t isn't mine and I let that crap go over my head.

Done the tourist thing and took the hop on, hop off tour bus and learned a few things, Belfast is a sh*t hole, that the Prince of Wales avenue to Stormont is called the 'POW's Avenue, that the people I met in the SF shop on the Falls Road (at the Bobby Sands mural) were lovely until I asked I mentioned I was taking the bus to the Shankill Road, then the lady looked at me like she wanted to knee cap me.

Got on the bus (great guides btw) and was going to get off on the Shankill when the guide advised me not to!.. You're from Dublin, they've orange fever this week. Its not safe for you.. Ok I stayed on the bus.

Mentioned this to the staff in the hotel, yea don't go near there with your Dublin accent. You'll find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Thinking they meant that people would just be rude to me I asked a taxi man, and even a doctor (I was up on a medical appointment) and told them I don't mind telling someone to fvck off if they're annoying me.

The doctor told me that I could be lucky and meet some lovely people on the Shankill but that I'd more likely meet someone who'd be very unpleasant or I might find a phone call would be made and a few lads would be down to sort us out!!.

Fvck that sh*t!.

Found it strange that in conversation everyone very soon let me know if they were Catholic or Protestant, weird to me because I coudn't give a sh*t.

The pubs were sh*t holes too, although Kellys Cellars serve the best stew I've ever had.

Belfast is fine most of the time, tbf.

Having said that, I refused a hospital appointment for today, because marching season is a whole other side of Belfast, and if the locals, Protestant and Catholic alike head for Donegal for this week, then I'll stay in Donegal this week.

Tldr. I'd probably be grand - but why bother driving into a possible hatefest?
    I'll just wait till things normalise.
    It doesnt- I dont get the Nazi one and thats the most confusing.

Wasn't a big part of the building of an Ulster identity the fighting of the German's in 2 World Wars?

I just cant understand the Nazi one

Illusions of supremacy?
    I imagine there would be detailed consultation prior to any UI and stuff like that would be thrashed out-bonfires would probably have to go and passing Catholic churches would stop?

Not necessarily. That would depend on health and safety and environmental issues.
    As to passing Churches? There's nothing wrong with marching past a Church. It's the bands who spew bile and hatred passing the Churches that are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Far as I’m concerned the orange marches should be banned and will be banned when there’s a United ireland I would think.

Also the bonfires are the worst part of it in terms of pollution. Should be banned and all participants arrested and let the courts convict them and hand down lengthy sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Keep up Rob.

Orange Order stands by Fermanagh County Grand Master after 'homosexuality is wrong' remarks

Why do you keep entering threads based on anything do with the north, yet constantly feign ignorance in them?
    Apart from the fact they celebrate on the 12th I know virtually nothing about them and if I'm interested in threads about NI I don't have to get your permission to partake-that alright with you johnny?

• Advertisement

Apart from the fact they celebrate on the 12th I know virtually nothing about them and if I'm interested in threads about NI I don't have to get your permission to partake-that alright with you johnny?

Grand, just stop trying to pretend you're a mere neutral observer.

Sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

To be fair. There’s nothing at all to know about them outside the 12th.
    It’s a community devoid of culture unless you count their obsession with hating us. That’s not really ‘culture’ though

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

To be fair. There’s nothing at all to know about them outside the 12th.
    It’s a community devoid of culture unless you count their obsession with hating us. That’s not really ‘culture’ though

Some fascinating reading here if you are interested.
    It really isn't hard to see why the OO is in what looks like terminal decline. I would know a single young modern person who this would appeal to.

https://www.evangelicaltruth.com/orange-order-teaching

It really isn't hard to see why the OO is in what looks like terminal decline. I would know a single young modern person who this would appeal to.

Francie, I'm rarely speechless, but - honestly, words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie, I'm rarely speechless, but - honestly, words fail me.

I'm actually an undercover OO man...bet you you wanna join??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

francie it is ironic you quote such a way out website. You recently slated me for comparing certain aspects of the OO to the RC church and yet the website you link does just this e.g.
    "....the Orange Order and the Roman Catholic Church were equally responsible for stirring up religious strife and bigotry and both presented a false Christ"
    &
    "certain objectionable rituals are common to the Black, Jesuits, Mormons, Templers, Freemasons, Knights of Malta and others."

and of course i could go on and on. and i could post endless websites that present irish culture etc in a very bad light but that is just petty whataboutery and not representative of these organisations and communities as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

janfebmar wrote: »
    You could also say the Roman Catholic church is a deeply sectarian organisation, members who marry non-Catholics are supposed to bring up the children as Catholics etc
    If you wish to compare 'religions' open a thread on it.
    downcow wrote: »
    francie it is ironic you quote such a way out website. You recently slated me for comparing certain aspects of the OO to the RC church and yet the website you link does just this e.g.
    "....the Orange Order and the Roman Catholic Church were equally responsible for stirring up religious strife and bigotry and both presented a false Christ"
    &
    "certain objectionable rituals are common to the Black, Jesuits, Mormons, Templers, Freemasons, Knights of Malta and others."

and of course i could go on and on. and i could post endless websites that present irish culture etc in a very bad light but that is just petty whataboutery and not representative of these organisations and communities as a whole.

hmmmm

did you just out one of your own sock accounts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

For some odd reason when I think of the 12th celebrations up there I also have an image in my heard of the deep south in North America.
    All these bible belters, burning crosses etc.

nthclare wrote: »
    For some odd reason when I think of the 12th celebrations up there I also have an image in my heard of the deep south in North America.

Correct. You couldn’t get a cigarette paper between the two and all the bonkers and bigotry of it all.

lawred2 wrote: »
    hmmmm

did you just out your own sock account?

I honestly have no idea what you are saying Lawred.
    I was just quoting a wee bit of Francies linked website that he missed.

I have actually just glimpsed back at this thread and it contains huge amounts of poisonous hate material directed at the OO community . I trust there is fair stuff in there to, but I just dipped in which is never that good an idea. i'll have a proper look later and respond to some stuff - if i am allowed

I honestly have no idea what you are saying Lawred.
    I was just quoting a wee bit of Francies linked website that he missed.

I have actually just glimpsed back at this thread and it contains huge amounts of poisonous hate material directed at the OO community . I trust there is fair stuff in there to, but I just dipped in which is never that good an idea. i'll have a proper look later and respond to some stuff - if i am allowed

of course

nthclare wrote: »

I find this thread a pretty depressing read. It is so far away from reality I just don't know if there is any point in trying to educate.
    I would love to know in a few sentences or bullet points what you think happens at a twelfth parade. If you do that then i will respond honestly and openly.
    We need to stop this hate and misunderstanding of a whole community

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I find this thread a pretty depressing read. It is so far away from reality I just don't know if there is any point in trying to educate.
    I would love to know in a few sentences or bullet points what you think happens at a twelfth parade. If you do that then i will respond honestly and openly.
    We need to stop this hate and misunderstanding of a whole community

Ok maybe my analogy was a bit over the top, but why do they burn tricolours on the bonfires etc

We don't burn butcher's aprons on bonfires or have replicas of the leader of the Anglican church on top of bonfires.

I remember year's ago being at an orange parade in Warren Point, we were there out of curiosity.
    I was a young lad maybe 11 and dad had warned us not to talk very loud while there, fortunately for us my dad had a big moustache and threw on a wife beater vest and mum's very dark with a Mediterranean look so we blended in quite well, it was out of character for dad to wear the wifebeater and mum had a t-shirt with the butchers apron on it lol

Looking back it was hilarious a Kerry man with a Spanish looking lady and 3 brats at an orange parade, first time I ever seen a police man with a gun too.

Tricolours aren’t allowed at Patrick’s day parades up north.
    But they are allowed to be burned on bonfires on that lovely family day out that is the 12th.

Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could you argue in court that they are being selective in who they stop building bonfires?

You could argue that, but you'd be arguing in a British court, you might as well be arguing that the coppers shouldn't have murdered your family member for 60 years, or some other such fruitless exercise.

• Advertisement

boetstark wrote: »
    Also I live in the republic and I have seen numerous occasions in rural Ireland, bonfires being lit to celebrate occasions , eg a local team winning a gaa game.

Are they 9 storeys high in densely populated residential areas? do they involve burning symbols of the neighboring county?

Tricolours aren’t allowed at Patrick’s day parades up north.
    But they are allowed to be burned on bonfires on that lovely family day out that is the 12th.

Go figure

No just where did you get that idea. It would be best in northerners from a nationalist perspective were the correct this nonsense rather than me. But suffice to say st Patrick’s parades in north are awash with tricolours- a sea of green white and orange. Where do you get this stuff. I am not going to degrade st Patrick’s day by showing pictures of nutters burning union flags at st Patrick’s day parades / but I could.

No just where did you get that idea. It would be best in northerners from a nationalist perspective were the correct this nonsense rather than me. But suffice to say st Patrick’s parades in north are awash with tricolours- a sea of green white and orange. Where do you get this stuff. I am not going to degrade st Patrick’s day by showing pictures of nutters burning union flags at st Patrick’s day parades / but I could.

Never once seen such an image. It certainly wouldn’t happen anywhere down here. Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened up there though.yis are as mad as each other :)

please do

cgcsb wrote: »
    Are they 9 storeys high in densely populated residential areas? do they involve burning symbols of the neighboring county?

I can’t speak for roi but nationalists fires in the north damage property and involve burning symbols of their neighbours flags etc.
    But as with 11th fires it’s a minority so keep it in perspective

I am not going to degrade st Patrick’s day by showing pictures of nutters burning union flags at st Patrick’s day parades / but I could.

Lol, 'I'm not going to dignify that with an answer'. :pac:

You tried to before, and IIRC got torn a new one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

&

Great to see you back-you have been missed.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Lol, 'I'm not going to dignify that with an answer'. :pac:

I didn’t want to do this but due to some posters interest here you are.

Hope this works. Never added a photo before

• Advertisement

It's all a bit sad really

Advertisement