Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remote PCs for Browsing Internet

• 17-07-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

We have a few locations where we have employees who need to access to browsers.

We don't need Windows PC programs like Word etc....just to be able to run a browser like Chrome, Firefox

We do not want to have to deploy full PCs as we do not want to maintain updates etc.

I have been reading about Thin Clients, Virtual Desk Tops etc.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Thanks fo that OSI....I had never heard of that service.

It would not suit us as we basically need workers to be able to access our Website from remote locations.

We also have a great host and do not want to move away from them with our Websites.

Someone had mentioned Thin Clients as a solution but as it is not an area I have dealt with before I am not familiar with the terminology to be able to start googlng effectivly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭SilverSideUp

A thin client is a lightweight computer that has been optimized for remoting into a server-based computing environment. As such, it's a generic term and can mean different things. In many Universities, for example, there are thin client terminals which consist of a monitor and keyboard that allow students access campus resources like library searches and student records. Google's Chromebook is a web client, a variant of a thin client, which accesses web resources using the Chrome web browser. With tablet computers now very cheap (see this offer today on Amazon Prime for its 10 inch Fire tablet for £99) you can buy a simple tablet that you can use as a thin client that will allow your employees access your website inexpensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Thanks very much for that detailed response.

I forgot to add that the PCs must plug into a monitor which rules out tablets.

Androids are out because I tested those devices and they do not work with Youtube Videos on Browsers.

The reason I am looking at thin clients is because mini PCs have a lot of bloatware programs when We just need browsers as the only program.

Plus there is a lot of updating for Windows PCs

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭SilverSideUp

From what you have said, a thin client would not be suitable. With thin clients, you need a server-side infrastructure which uses cloud computing software such as application virtualization or a hosted shared desktop (HSD) or desktop virtualization (VDI). As a third party is in charge of your web servers, you would need to set up your own server or get someone else to do it.

What you want is just a web client with a browser like Chrome or Firefox which will do everything you need. Any cheap second hand PC will do everything you need. The bloatware is trivial to take care of - unwanted software can be uninstalled when you set it up. You'll have to update the browser and any OS you install though but that's simple beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

A Chromebook would be the perfect answer.

Quick, Simple, cheap, easy to use, very little to no software/operating system maintenance/updating to do, long battery life, can be connected to a monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for Chromebooks in this scenario

Advertisement