Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recognition as an Artist

• 16-05-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello.

I am new here.

I have sung on boats, a bus and at open mics and other events.

I was wondering what I can do to recognised and rememberd by the public as a singer and acter and model please

How do I ensure that I go somewhere and contact someone who will sign me up?

I find doing that very enjoyable experience and I like to make a difference in the world and to people.

I have wanted this since I was 14 and am 26 now and losing my patience because I have been putting myself out there. am on talent finder sites, in the newspaper and put up posters and went to open mics. I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks for listening.

I hope to get an answer soon please.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Better suited here OP

Wurly

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ROCKCHICKac

Wurly wrote: »
    Better suited here OP

Wurly

what do you mean by that statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I moved your thread as it is more suited to the bands and musicians community forum as opposed to the singing and vocals forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Have you thought about the X-factor or 'The Voice of Ireland'?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Are you singing your own original material, or covers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 big break

Get a following so great you fill out every gig you do.
    When you say sang on a bus ?
    The vengabus?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Singer, actress and model? First I'd say concentrate on one of those and if you get successful the others will be options further down the road. As for getting recognition, you just have to know how to use the amount you get. Very few walk in as a relatively unknown artist, play a gig and get signed by Universal. Grab fans whatever way you can, get them onto your facebook page or whatever and build up a fanbase gig by gig. When youre eventually selling out gigs around the city/country, people will start to recognise your name and remember you even if they have never heard your music before which will hopefully make them interested and have a listen. Naturally, easier said than done as most of us here are in the same boat but play as much as you can, try and get friendly with other artists and grab supports from them and direct people to your facebook page/website. Slowly but surely your fanbase will grow and with that comes recognition from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

OP, can I ask, what is it exactly that you want to achieve?

If it's to be a recognised singer/artist, I don't think singing on a bus and at a few open mic nights is enough work to justify being frustrated from not getting much return. It's certainly a good start, but it's a very long road.
    You don't list any experience in acting or modelling... so I can only assume you just want to be famous and aren't particularly concerned how.
    I don't mean that in a negative or condescending way btw, I just think trying to be recognised for so many talents at such a young age without (what seems like) much work is a little over-ambitious and unrealistic.

So, my recommendation would be (like Fandangos) to focus on one career. You seem to have done more as a Singer than a model or an actress, so it would probably be best to work with that. Continue getting experience working live, get a band together if needs be and host your own gigs. An open mic night isn't exactly the best way to showcase your own talent.
    Write songs, record an album, play gigs... the usual.
    But have fun - it's worthless otherwise, IMO. Set realistic expectations for yourself. :)

Though, with all that said.... I play in an unrecognised metal band, so.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

its an interesting phrase really "sign me up". there isnt very much to get signed up to anymore. its not like in the good old days when you got A Record Deal and lived on cocaine and hookers for the rest of your days. one person's recognition is another's annonymity. some people would say "who?" if you mentioned kim gordon, niamh from the hamsambos or lisa hannigan. david byrne from talking heads had lots to say on the subject in his book. and he is far more elequent than i.
    if you can sing, get yourself into a band. doesnt matter if its covers, originals, jamming, anything. the only recognition you require is your own. it would be nice but not essential if your bandmates thought you rocked too. if you mean recognition as in getting paid for singing, well, we re all working on that one.
    as for modelling and acting, i really cant say much. lots of am-dram should help the acting. not lucrative but probably more fun and creative than surfing the web on a friday night... :-)

"and when you want to live like a star, where d'you go? who do you need to know...?" as morrisey once said. ahem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have a guaranteed solution! Simply send me 50 quid...

grand so! how about a hundred?! you ll have a bit of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kahler wrote: »
    grand so! how about a hundred?! you ll have a bit of that...
    For a hundred, you get the deluxe package. Including 2 minutes on the phone with Louis 'Starmaker' Walsh*.

*May not be actual Louis Walsh**

**This would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

kahler wrote: »
    its an interesting phrase really "sign me up". there isnt very much to get signed up to anymore. its not like in the good old days when you got A Record Deal and lived on cocaine and hookers for the rest of your days.

Indeed, these days most major labels sign mostly easy to market, dont have to pay alot, short term pop acts or sign established acts that dont really need them (altho their extra push always helps!). Had the luck to be signed by one many many years ago, they spent a fortune on us but it didnt work out in the end. Unfortunately they cant afford risks like that anymore so need to be relatively certain the band/group/artist will be a success before going near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HughieQ

If you believe in your music, (JUST FOCUS ON ONE GOAL)start winning friends and family over(biggest crirics!!), then open a musician page on facebook reverbnation myspace etc, get a fanbase online, ask local bands if you can open for them bring demos with you and pass them out.........its not easy.... but what you put into your music in, you'll get back eventually.....the question is how motivated are you to succeed???........all the best HughieQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Artists nowadays have about as much chance in "getting signed" (to a major) as they have in winning the lottery. There is normally a lottery winner every few weeks in Ireland so you never know.

However, major labels sign very few artists and put millions into promoting them, expecting many more millions in return. If they do not make the returns pretty damn quick then they are dropped equally as fast.

The music "business" is as cold blooded as any other business. If it ain't gonna sell in bucket loads no one is going to want to buy what you have or invest in you.

Do you have a sound cloud site OP?

Have you recorded a demo and send it to any of the Irish labels?

Labels look for many existing things when considering new artists, but one of the most important one is:

"has the artist already made a significant genunie loyal fan base who attend their gigs?"

The labels want many many more boxes ticked before they will consider signing you. Enjoy performing music and whatever comes along with that is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ROCKCHICKac

endacl wrote: »
    I have a guaranteed solution! Simply send me 50 quid...

50 euros? I was close to getting into a band, as I done many rehearsals but it didn't work out in the end. The band preferred I don't perform at the festival and the drummer was only available for 2 rehearsals and he possessed essential sound equipment.

I am 31 and am using various social media platforms to gain recognition. I have dealt with two professional photographers so far, in relation to modeling. I have attended an acting for TV and Film production class for one year and performed in college society Gum's version of Adam's family Musical . I attended so many open-mics including ones in Dublin city and I jammed with some musicians. I am currently working on getting a strong enough fan base and a good amount of followers, as well as improvements in working with Musical instruments. I have an idea to sign up as an acapella artist for two festivals next year for within small venues to see what comes out of that.

Thanks very much for your responses and sorry for the delay.

Just graduated from Arts college last year level 8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

put a band together and go play gigs. where theres a will theres a way - no-one will sign you up from your bedroom

Advertisement