Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is the countryside better than people think

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ms2011 wrote: »
    These threads are always the same:

I love the city/country and couldn't imagine living anywhere elsewhere.
    I hate the city/country and would never return.

It's all relative to your circumstances and personal preference.
    That's true. I think though at the moment things that make city great aren't around. Frankly if someones quality of life in city isn't affected at tze moment it just means that they were/are paying city prices for the lifestyle they could have in the country for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's true. I think though at the moment things that make city great aren't around. Frankly if someones quality of life in city isn't affected at tze moment it just means that they were/are paying city prices for the lifestyle they could have in the country for less.

I think making a decision now though wouldn't be wise, our current situation is (hopefully) short term. I say that as someone who is in the 'I love the country and couldn't imagine living anywhere else' bracket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Once the house wasn't a dump, proximity to a hospital and decent broadband would be my criteria for rural living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Honestly reckon a decent sized town is the best bet. Has everything you need as regards shops, schools, gym , pub , sports clubs. If you want a rural life you’ll probably get it 5 mins drive form these places.

Head to a city then for a gig, sporting event or big occasion if needs be but don’t have the frankly ridiculous cost of living , crime and anti social issues you will find in Dublin . ( of course you will always have some of these things in every town )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

spurious wrote: »
    Once the house wasn't a dump, proximity to a hospital and decent broadband would be my criteria for rural living.

People seem to have the opinion that rural houses are basically sheds.
    The vast majority of families living in the country side are living in what would be million euro plus houses if located in dublin so the standard of living space and outdoor space is so far ahead of what one would expect in the city.
    I think after this lockdown where having to stay in an apartment must really have been horrific, there will be increased interest in having a country getaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i dont hate either , i just posed the question if the countryside will get a fresh look post covid 19 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like both.

The city has the amenities and people.
    The countryside the peace and closeness to nature.

Both options have their positives, it depends what a person wants, what is good for one person is not for another.
    I wouldn't run either down as we need both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think making a decision now though wouldn't be wise, our current situation is (hopefully) short term. I say that as someone who is in the 'I love the country and couldn't imagine living anywhere else' bracket.

I feel very little preference for either as long it's the right size and locatio but that was not my point. It was an observation that an awful lot of things that make city great are not there at the moment but if someone living there doesn't even notice it they probably weren't enjoying much of what city has to offer even before. Living in the country there is feck all difference unless you got to mass or gaa pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The countryside is great when your kids are small, but when they’re teenagers it’s a pain in the ass. Expect to spend those years driving. No drinking on Friday nights when you have to drive down to the arse of nowhere at 1am to pick up from a party. Then up again at 7 to drop to a Saturday job. There’s a lot to be said for living somewhere with public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I've never understood the 'retire to the countryside' mentality. By all means stay in the countryside if that's where you have always lived, or do your countryside living when you are middle aged and possibly raising a family.

What I don't get is moving to the countryside at a time of life where you will inevitably start collecting ailments that require hospital visits. When you may have to suddenly start relying on public transport. When you might find that you suddenly need more family support.

I say this all as someone who supports older people as part of my job. Things can change very quickly and unexpectedly for a variety of reasons and being near services and supports makes such a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Multipass wrote: »
    The countryside is great when your kids are small, but when they’re teenagers it’s a pain in the ass. Expect to spend those years driving. No drinking on Friday nights when you have to drive down to the arse of nowhere at 1am to pick up from a party. Then up again at 7 to drop to a Saturday job. There’s a lot to be said for living somewhere with public transport.

My sister lives in West Dublin and still drives her kids around as there is too much anti social behaviour around the bus/Luas stop near her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I can see benefit to both , I grew up in a country town but near enough to Dublin for days out and to jump on the bus if needed so not out in the complete sticks. 10 minutes on my bike as a kid would bring me to the country side to my farming cousins where I spent most of my school holidays and I loved that freedom of going out in morning and not being seen only for meals .
    I can imagine it would be lonely for some kids if they didn’t have family or friends nearby.

Currently we have best of both rural village in a small housing estate with fields and woodland all around us. Kids can walk to friends and school and most sports are only a bike ride away.
    A friend who has teenagers and lives in middle of no where is run ragged driving the kids everywhere add to that poor broadband and mobile phone signal so he can get fairly isolated , nearest house to him is nearly 2km away and nearest village is 12km .

I have lived in a few city’s and you are never bored and always something to do and I did enjoy city living for a while. But definitely found city living more lonely than rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having being brought up in the country and lived in a few different cities at this stage, the country life is underrated. But that seems to be a city vs country upbringing thing. I love the nights in the country. Mostly silence, some wildlife. But the best part is when there is no cloud cover, and you get to see the night sky in all its glory. That is what is underrated. During the winter, as I work nights, I'd be getting home while it's still dark, and I'd spend 5-10 minutes just staring up at the stars. Beautiful.

Had a friend who was born/raised in the city, and the country was 'too quiet' for him, and the wildlife used to freak him out. Jumping at every little rustle in the bushes, the cries from the nightlife. He couldn't hack it. I'm still waiting for my moment to make a fox friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We live on a small farm in a rural area.

Literally can’t imagine living anywhere else.

But it’s all down to what your used to, what you want from life and how you live.
    We never go to the pub so it’s no problem being 6km from them nearest town. Kids schools are on way to work so school runs are never a problem.

We keep cattle, chickens, pigs.

Have spent much of the lockdown building a stables and paddock as we’re getting a horse for the youngest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I grew up in the country and still live there now. It’s ok for families with small children but not great for teenagers. As a teenager, I lived a distance from my friends and as a result was and am a bit of a loner. When my own kids were old enough, I had them join every club possible and spent years driving them to various events. It was tough going, but I think worth it as they’ve got great friends from these groups. I love my home, but have been seriously considering selling and moving into or closer to town as the maintenance is a bit much now that we’re approaching retirement.

Exactly this. During the years when I should have been starting to exist somewhat independantly from my family (meeting up with friends, just wandering into the town centre or whatever, only appearing at mealtimes) I was stuck at home for the most part. Being at home is what is most normal for me even now in my 40's, and it's VERY hard to break out of that mindset when you missed out on a lot of that part of your social development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

People have preconceptions of both but the truth is both have a massive range.
    I grew up in a suburb, it was about a 30 minute walk to the city centre but your not going to do that for a coffee and taking the car means traffic, parking hassle etc.

I live now in a semi d with excellent fibre in an estate of 12 houses just outside a town. I can walk in less than 15 minutes to a dozen bars and more restaurants and drive within 15 minutes to six or seven beaches the closest being 3km. I actually use cafes, restaurants etc more in the rural location as its just so much easier. I'd be home again by the time I queued at a bus stop or found parking in the city. I think its a far better location for families, kids, teens, couples. Young adults who want gigs on a Monday night and a wide variety of bars and older singles are far better served in the city.

Just trying to show urban isn't necessarily an apartment in the city centre and rural is not necessarily isolated. The big plusses are events in urban areas and rainy day activities. Whenever there's a good comedian or band I'm interested in playing in the town ill definitely be there, in the city I would have been picker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Best county I lived in was Waterford, bye far it was rural, with mountains beaches loads of space for activities...
    and blaas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I grew up in the countryside, about 2 miles from a busy town. I am looking to but a house now and I saw a 7 acre site in the middle of nowhere overlooking a lake for only 50,000. I would have bought it but it was too far from where I work so I had to leave it. That is the ideal place I want to live, the lake would have been great as I have always been into fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I grew up in the countryside, about 2 miles from a busy town. I am looking to but a house now and I saw a 7 acre site in the middle of nowhere overlooking a lake for only 50,000. I would have bought it but it was too far from where I work so I had to leave it. That is the ideal place I want to live, the lake would have been great as I have always been into fishing.

50k - Just buy it!! You’ll be regretting that for a long time!! ( Unless of course it floods!)

50k - Just buy it!! You’ll be regretting that for a long time!! ( Unless of course it floods!)

it isnt on daft now, it comes and goes on it. but with my work it wouldnt suit at all, I will probably be working in a different industry in 10 years but at the moment it just wouldnt work. i doubt it floods at its on a steep enough hill.

• Advertisement

Or you don’t get planning.

Or you don’t get planning.

There was planning with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

+1

Different strokes for different folks, some people like what the city has to offer and others prefer the quiet life in the countryside.

I live in a small village and it suit me perfectly, can walk to the local shop or the pub (when it opens) for a pint and still have lots of open space for walking cyclyng etc.

Although growing up in a rural area in the 70s and 80s wasn't great, my folks had no car and never learned to drive and when we had to go somewhere it was a case of asking neighbours for lifts and you always felt they were doing it because they were too polite to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Covid -19 is an incurable plague that can kill and that has no cure and that you can catch multiple times - each a chance for death . I think we wouod be mad to assume that the lure of decrease of risk for health and the availability clean open privately contained spaces will not be affected by this.

As regards cliqueness - I specifically chose to buy in a new build estate with lovely houses in a semi rural location close enough commute to the city thinking everyone would be in the same boat and friendly and living happily ever after together - NO!! Tensions of close enough living, bitchy bored housewives and knacker behaviour from professional but not interested in or available to parent families, issues over noise and parking problems has aligned the estate into general factions and provided within a short enough timeframe the kind of closed thinking, schoolboy cliques and nasty bitchy attitudes and behaviour that I guess would be similar after generations of fueds and fighting in the country.

I can’t imagine , given the availability of finance for second hand cars and the normalising of banger/starter cars for late teens that the issues of isolation from one car working families in the 1980’s or 1990’s would be the same 30 years on which seems to be the biggest issue in this thread.

Having listened to 5 hours of screaming & fighting inna foreign language by over the wall kids yesterday if the broadband and house was excellent and in its own grounds - acerage - I certainly would be strongly considering moving. I can always get into the car and drive for a meal/ gig/ shopping centre - not that any of them are open in the city anymore anyway!! And rather than joining a gym a home gym room and Jie Wicks on the internet, and whetever it takes to out in a hottub and heated pool under the stars in the garden would certainly be money well spent : )

You can dream different with space - and in the city it is a numbers game and only a matter of time before you catch it. Chilling reports from people who have caught it and recovered telling of long term (so far) lung damage and breathing pain and exhaustion issues ... :0

A big yes from me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

pgj2015 wrote: »

Sounds like a lovely place to retire in.

50 k is a steal, what county is it in if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like a lovely place to retire in.

50 k is a steal, what county is it in if you don't mind me asking?

Roscommon. its not on daft now. might be sold.

it seemed a bit too good to be true.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Exactly this. During the years when I should have been starting to exist somewhat independantly from my family (meeting up with friends, just wandering into the town centre or whatever, only appearing at mealtimes) I was stuck at home for the most part. Being at home is what is most normal for me even now in my 40's, and it's VERY hard to break out of that mindset when you missed out on a lot of that part of your social development.

The last thing people should want is their teens hanging around on corners or wandering around the town. Contrary to some I would see the inability to get around by themselves as a big advantage of country and makes it much easier for parents to keep control on teens and know where they are.

When I was a teenager I was far too busy working on the farm to be hanging around the town causing trouble like the people in our nearest time used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The last thing people should want is their teens hanging around on corners or wandering around the town. Contrary to some I would see the inability to get around by themselves as a big advantage of country and makes it much easier for parents to keep control on teens and know where they are.

When I was a teenager I was far too busy working on the farm to be hanging around the town causing trouble like the people in our nearest time used to do.

For younger teens yes, but as they get older you want to foster some independence and self reliance, which is much harder to do when they have to involve you in their social life. The solution is to have them driving as soon as possible, but the way car insurance currently stands it’s completely impossible (for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Not everybody in the country lives on a farm. That would of course have kept me busy, but unless you LOVE farming it could also build resentment that here you are, stuck baling hay when your mates are on holiday or just off for the day having the craic on their summer hols.

My point wasn't about just wanting to hang around the town though, but as multipass said above, about fostering a sense of independance and normalising the fact that another life exists beyond the confines of your garden. Or the farm.

• Advertisement

Multipass wrote: »
    For younger teens yes, but as they get older you want to foster some independence and self reliance, which is much harder to do when they have to involve you in their social life. The solution is to have them driving as soon as possible, but the way car insurance currently stands it’s completely impossible (for me anyway).

Both mine learned to drive as soon as they turned 17. It eased my burden a lot!

Advertisement