Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A good map for December - the Christmas gift-bringers of Europe

DR0DK1aXcAAGKST.jpg

There's an article to with the map which you can read here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So Ireland spends the most as a percentage of income on alcohol? And it appears it’s not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So Ireland spends the most as a percentage of income on alcohol? And it appears it’s not even close.

Only because alcohol is taxed so heavily and far more expensive compared to the known heavy drinkers such as Finland and Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Combination of being heavy drinkers and very high duty and vat on alcohol.

Only because alcohol is taxed so heavily and far more expensive compared to the known heavy drinkers such as Finland and Russia.

It’s expensive in other countries too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The areas in red were called 'Zone Rouge' and were no-go areas after WW1. They were filled with unexploded ordnance, bodies, barbed wire, machinery etc. The areas are in rich farmland and were gradually cleared out over the following 80 years. In parts of that area you still need special permission to erect any structure, they government will get teams in to check the earth for bombs and bodies.

For comparison, the distance from Paris at the foot of the map to Lille near the top is about the same as Cork to Dublin.

Lille to Namcy is about the same as Belfast to Tralee.

Red_Zone_Map-fr.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It’s expensive in other countries too.

While we're usually around the top 10, we're not the heaviest drinkers - lots of data below - including the map posted, but on the graph it looks like we're 7 or 8 per consumption/GDP

https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Excellent thread. Keep ‘em coming. I love maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Antipodal map, showing where you come out the opposite side of the earth. Approx 15% of land is opposite land which is roughly 4% of the surface of the earth.

KWpyhcO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭dasdog

The offend everyone in Europe map

GdnyzIe.jpg

• Advertisement

While we're usually around the top 10, we're not the heaviest drinkers - lots of data below - including the map posted, but on the graph it looks like we're 7 or 8 per consumption/GDP

https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumption

We’re big bingers, according to that. The pattern is more telling to me than the amount.

Top ten out of 200+ countries? Yeah, we’re boozehounds.

There’s been a map like this in my local pub long before Brexit was a twinkle in somebody’s eye

Brexit_1050x700.jpg

40807418308175.562c74f10b6c0.jpg

Psychogeographic map - how the brain sees the body

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There’s been a map like this in my local pub long before Brexit was a twinkle in somebody’s eye

Interesting that those who drew that map didn't allow their dislike of the UK to motivate them to take back the 6 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Stereotype map of Europe.

85f9e51b7565c83bc66037d4e24b8a5f.jpg

ofdline3.jpg

Map of Ogof Ffynnon Ddu, one of the longest caves in Britain and one that i was reckless enough to go into as a teenager - some while ago, now!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

vektarman wrote: »
    Stereotype map of Europe.

85f9e51b7565c83bc66037d4e24b8a5f.jpg

I read the top line as "Lots of Darkies".

Off to Specsavers in the morning for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Interesting that those who drew that map didn't allow their dislike of the UK to motivate them to take back the 6 counties.

Probably didn't show foddin sport son the tv either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Irish Language 1871
    Irishin1871.jpg

50% of Canadians live below the red line:

61758-C9-E-3-E1-B-46-CE-98-E0-DED96-DD8-DB5-B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

na5i31mmzrn21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

i can't find it online but in Ed Moloney's book "Voices From the Grave" about a UVF man (David ervine) & about a IRA man (Brendan Hughes) it shows 3 different very detailed maps about The Trouble hot spots. Fiirst map is about the North of Ireland in it's entirety and shows all the the main places in it like Greysteel, Strabane, Sion Mills, Omagh, Crossmaglen, Camlough, Derry Claudy, Newry, Craigavon etc...the only places it shows outside the North are Belturbet, Monaghan town, Dundalk & Pettigo

The second map shows Belfast, it shows all the main places in East, South, West & North. So South you have Andersontown & Castlreagh, in the North you have Ardoyne, Glengormley, Mount Vernon etc.... In the West you have the Truf Lodge, Falls, Ballymurphy, Shankill, Woodvale, Sandy Row, Shankill etc...And in the East you have the Short Strand, Newtownards, Woodstock, Ravenhill etc...

And the final one is about the Falls Road circa 1969.
    So you have the Royal Victoria Hospital (not sure if it's there now), Roden street, Grosvenor road, Cyprus street, Lesson street, Little Distillery & places like Divis Flats, the Clonard Monastrey, Bombay street & so on, very interesting just to see clearly how close the UVF & IRA were pusehed up together with RUC & British soldiers in the mix as well, like a giant bomb ready to explode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

i can't find it online but in Ed Moloney's book "Voices From the Grave" about a UVF man (David ervine) & about a IRA man (Brendan Hughes) it shows 3 different very detailed maps about The Trouble hot spots. Fiirst map is about the North of Ireland in it's entirety and shows all the the main places in it like Greysteel, Strabane, Sion Mills, Omagh, Crossmaglen, Camlough, Derry Claudy, Newry, Craigavon etc...the only places it shows outside the North are Belturbet, Monaghan town, Dundalk & Pettigo

The second map shows Belfast, it shows all the main places in East, South, West & North. So South you have Andersontown & Castlreagh, in the North you have Ardoyne, Glengormley, Mount Vernon etc.... In the West you have the Truf Lodge, Falls, Ballymurphy, Shankill, Woodvale, Sandy Row, Shankill etc...And in the East you have the Short Strand, Newtownards, Woodstock, Ravenhill etc...

And the final one is about the Falls Road circa 1969.
    So you have the Royal Victoria Hospital (not sure if it's there now), Roden street, Grosvenor road, Cyprus street, Lesson street, Little Distillery & places like Divis Flats, the Clonard Monastrey, Bombay street & so on, very interesting just to see clearly how close the UVF & IRA were pusehed up together with RUC & British soldiers in the mix as well, like a giant bomb ready to explode

So some maps of Northern Ireland and its capital city?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

50% of Canadians live below the red line:

And that line would run through Northern Italy in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

The map of Ireland before and after the Down Survey, the first large scale survey based on triangulation.

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php
    496884.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

KAGY wrote: »
    The map of Ireland before and after the Down Survey, the first large scale survey based on triangulation.

Oh man, I'd love a high quality print out of that for the wall at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Lest we forget the reason why the survey was commissioned
    496889.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The before map is strange - the coastline is quite accurate for most of the country but they must have been on the poitín when doing the stetch from Galway to Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The before map is strange - the coastline is quite accurate for most of the country but they must have been on the poitín when doing the stetch from Galway to Derry

Lough Erne dried up a good bit too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

na5i31mmzrn21.jpg

How did you do this ?

Advertisement