Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• If there had been contact he'd have blamed the cyclist for running into him I bet :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Strobing wrote: »
    What annoys me more is the sheer ignorance and aggressiveness some taxi drivers exhibit on the roads to other users.
    You're obviously in the wrong because they're "professional" drivers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I didn't notice the new thread. /waves

I had a punishment pass coming up through Lucan village on Monday evening. Unfortunately my GoPro battery had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Had a close call last night coming down the Tallaght bypass , just through the junction of the road that goes to Lucan, a Suv coming on to the Tallaght bypass on my left, they have a turning lane before they can safely come out on to the Bypass, I had front and back lights, fluorescent yellow strips on jacket and leggings , he decided to move out and would have wiped me out, saw me at the last second and violently swerved back in , when he eventually came out behind me and along side me , just behaved as if Nothing had happened, no apologist hand up to acknowledge he was in the wrong ...,NADA.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

9:15 AM this morning, Church st heading south approaching north king st

There’s two lanes there, but nearly half of the left hand lane is taken up by a cycle lane. Car appeared beside me with about 3 inches between my handlebars and her mirror. She then squeezed past me, swerving left as she did so and nearly forcing me off the road. I had to brake and swerve to avoid her car. I stopped beside her about 100m down the road and asked her why she had tried to drive me off the road and it was clear that she wasn’t even aware of what she had done.

Gonna report this one I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

secman wrote: »
    Had a close call last night coming down the Tallaght bypass , just through the junction of the road that goes to Lucan, a Suv coming on to the Tallaght bypass on my left, they have a turning lane before they can safely come out on to the Bypass, I had front and back lights, fluorescent yellow strips on jacket and leggings , he decided to move out and would have wiped me out, saw me at the last second and violently swerved back in , when he eventually came out behind me and along side me , just behaved as if Nothing had happened, no apologist hand up to acknowledge he was in the wrong ...,NADA.
    :(

I've had a fair few close calls at that exact location - even one with a Garda motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

droidus wrote: »

There’s two lanes there, but nearly half of the left hand lane is taken up by a cycle lane. Car appeared beside me with about 3 inches between my handlebars and her mirror. She then squeezed past me, swerving left as she did so and nearly forcing me off the road. I had to brake and swerve to avoid her car. I stopped beside her about 100m down the road and asked her why she had tried to drive me off the road and it was clear that she wasn’t even aware of what she had done.

The road layout in that part of the world just promotes conflict. The same happens northbound on Constitution Hill.

crisco10 wrote: »
    The road layout in that part of the world just promotes conflict. The same happens northbound on Constitution Hill.

Stopped going that way because of close passes on the bend + congestion. First time Ive been caught the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

droidus wrote: »

I hate that section of road. I move out of the cycle lane into the "general traffic" part of the lane, from just past Broadstone, where 'SLOW' is written on the road. I use a dramatic hand signal to do so.

Northbound I do the same thing where those potholes are in the cycle lane going up the hill approaching Broadstone.

Yeah, Im usually well out on the road there to deter drivers from cutting across to take the filter onto North King Street, but I was well to the left hand side of the cycle lane and its very wide, and she just pushed me aside. Makes me wonder if she would have just driven into me if Id taken the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet another car that sailed through the first roundabout at the Castleknock Gate end of Chesterfield Avenue this morning without yielding or even slowing. He’d have taken me out of it despite a strong front light and the much fabled high vis if I hadn’t stopped and roared at him. He slowed down after existing the roundabout to utter what I can only hope was an apology but never caught his words. Have the registration so might call traffic watch later to report as find it the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays morning and evening. They have cones circling the roundabout at present due to works but most brain dead morning commuters ignore its status and just veer around it.

***not me - I saw this on twitter just now...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1202287867206213639

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

that's a close one alright.
    Even if the truck driver was turning right, that cyclist was too close to it.

awful junction and bridge to go through on a bike, which I did for about 5 years myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

De Bhál wrote: »
    that's a close one alright.
    Even if the truck driver was turning right, that cyclist was too close to it.

awful junction and bridge to go through on a bike, which I did for about 5 years myself.

That video also demonstrates the shocking cycle lane infrastructure in this country perfectly. Cycling along merrily in a dedicated cycle lane, than suddenly on the footpath (with no "painted" lane even) then dumped back out onto the road at a roundabout. It is mind blowingly bonkers, with that sort of setup is it any surprise that there is a conflict culture between cyclists and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

I don’t know this junction at all but it seems to me that cyclist would have been better off staying behind the truck and taking a central lane position in that right hand lane. Why does he choose to filter up the left to pass out a truck supposedly going in the same direction as him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hesker wrote: »
    I don’t know this junction at all but it seems to me that cyclist would have been better off staying behind the truck and taking a central lane position in that right hand lane. Why does he choose to filter up the left to pass out a truck supposedly going in the same direction as him.

I'd agree with you, stupid maneuver. HGV driver is a dangerous pr1ck. The way the cyclist went round him though, Jesus wept at the stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

hesker wrote: »

Agree. With a big yoke like that I prefer to be behind it not have to make assumptions on which way its going to turn. Much less stressful that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That dog is loving that cargo bike :D

• He should set up a strava for him, he's in nearly every video he posts and if he's not in the cargo he's running loose along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Thargor wrote: »

He lets him out for a run beside the bike at the Alfie Byrne rd. nothin’ like a happy dog 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

From the old thread.

Speaking of that petrol station, I needed to change my pants after this one. I was focused on the guy nosing out of the next exit of the petrol station, so I missed the gap in the line of traffic until this lady landed in front of me. Audio cut out to protect the innocent.

https://streamable.com/vvlfn

Probably the closest I've come to a wipe-out is just where your video begins. I was going along the cycle-path but a car swung in front from the opposite lane into their drive-way (same move as in your video except executed fully). Full brakes stopped me centimetres from their side-door. If I'd been half a second further up the road, it would have been nasty.

Like you, I couldn't see the gap because the car leaving the gap and blocking the view was a large SUV. The lack of clear view didn't stop the car swinging blindly across the road of course. I'm willing to give the SUV partial credit for leaving the gap and allowing the ridiculous manoeuvre in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thargor wrote: »

Meet him coming the opposite way 2/3 times a week. One hell of a well-trained dog!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Like you, I couldn't see the gap because the car leaving the gap and blocking the view was a large SUV. The lack of clear view didn't stop the car swinging blindly across the road of course. I'm willing to give the SUV partial credit for leaving the gap and allowing the ridiculous manoeuvre in the first place.
    I leave gaps all the time but **** me I use my rear view mirror and keep an eye out. I seriously wonder what training drivers get nowadays at all.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Meet him coming the opposite way 2/3 times a week. One hell of a well-trained dog!
    I meet him a few times a week, lovely dog (owner is grand :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

This mornings fun: https://streamable.com/zczps

If anyone is asking why it looks like i stopped in the lane, it's an up hill road and i braked initially. I had a foot on the ground

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kander wrote: »

If anyone is asking why it looks like i stopped in the lane, it's an up hill road and i braked initially. I had a foot on the ground

Wtf? That is pure mental. Unacceptable driving. I'd have stopped out of shock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Kander wrote: »

What the hell were they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jumping the queue obviously.

What the hell were they doing?
    Presumably wanting to take the left off the roundabout but are obviously impatient gits!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Stark wrote: »
    Jumping the queue obviously.
    Presumably wanting to take the left off the roundabout but are obviously impatient gits!

Yes, but what the hell were they doing???? :D

Fcuking arseholes. Ridiculous move.

• Advertisement

• The devil on my shoulder would have loved for that to have been a van or something meeting him so he couldn't get by and refusing to budge for him :D

Advertisement