Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feels warm af today but Spring is a long way away. I was freezing my arse off until the end of June last year so we've a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Longer term forecast for first half of Feb c/o EC ensemble run:

QILqfI3.gif

Quiet at first, but more unsettled and potentially quite stormy towards the middle third of month.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It surely couldn't have been your first winter that you didn't see a single flake? There were many in the 90's!

I was going through all winters in my head. Now I'm 325m asl.

All 80s had snow. 88/89 brought some in February. It was the least snowy, very mild. Cold Spring.

89/90 was mild. We got a dusting in December mid month.

1990/91 a few falls. Notably Dec 8th, Jan 8th, Feb 5-9.

1991/1992. November falls. And December Christmas week.

1992/1993. Snow around 8th January, was a Monday.

1993/94. Christmas 1993 and mid February 1994.

1994/95. A dusting on a wintry shower Christmas day. A very mild winter.

1995/96. Christmas time. Late January 1996. February 1996 few throughout the month. Small falls.

1996/97. November 19 1996. NYE. First 10 days of Jan.

1997/98. One small fall about 7-10 days before Christmas. I was at a neighbour's funeral in a snowy graveyard.

1998/1999. A fall in February. Followed by a quick thaw the same day.

Winters like 1988-89, 1989-90, 1991-92, 1994/95, 1997/98 and 1998/99 did not see snowfall at lower level to the best of my memory. Snow fell in March and April 1989, April 1990, March 1995, Good Friday 1998 (GFA agreement).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was lovely + mild at last today!

I'm a cold creature so roll on spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah we had snow Monday

That will do, 12c plus from now would be nice.

February is Spring...ish

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah we had snow Monday

That will do, 12c plus from now would be nice.

February is Spring...ish

No it`s not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very mild fresh SW'ly tonight here in Kerry, 11.8C and quite humid feeling. Kind of pleasant really, been such a change to the weather at the beginning of the week , spring like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare

Southwest winds, veering westerly will reach mean speeds of 50-65km/h, with gusts up to 100km/h on Friday evening, Friday night and for a time on Saturday.

Valid: 17:00 Friday 31/01/2020 to 12:00 Saturday 01/02/2020

Issued: 09:00 Friday 31/01/20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah we had snow Monday
    WE DIDN'T!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

typhoony wrote: »
    both GFS and ECM want to relocate the Arctic to NE Canada and NE US.

someone one told me that we get their cold a week after they get theirs

How do you explain the winter of 2013/14 then? Talk about nonsense.

Roll on summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The stretch is back , sunsets after 5pm now. 15 more days and itll be bright till after 6pm. February is one of my favourite months, your just coming out of winter, seeing things come back to life and daydreaming of beautiful summer days .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

US2 wrote: »
    The stretch is back , sunsets after 5pm now. 15 more days and itll be bright till after 6pm. February is one of my favourite months, your just coming out of winter, seeing things come back to life and daydreaming of beautiful summer days .

you could be in luck again this February. The middle 2 weeks of February do look quite unsettled but mild, however there are signals that the final week of February could develop high pressure from the south, if that was to happen and if winds were light up from Spain or Canarys we could potentially see temperatures reaching 15 or 16C in spells of sunshine and feeling very spring like. The more easterly that southerly wind becomes, would lower the temperatures more and more.

The final week of February is well off beyond FI, there is every possibility we could see the closing days of February in a similar settled spell as last year, just perhaps not as overly warm as last February, that would take some serious beating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    WE DIDN'T!

Very few people saw snow on Monday, it was mainly restricted to high ground above 200 meters in the north-west and parts of Northern Ireland. Most of the west had either cold rain or sleet showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Gonzo wrote: »
    you could be in luck again this February. The middle 2 weeks of February do look quite unsettled but mild, however there are signals that the final week of February could develop high pressure from the south, if that was to happen and if winds were light up from Spain or Canarys we could potentially see temperatures reaching 15 or 16C in spells of sunshine and feeling very spring like. The more easterly that southerly wind becomes, would lower the temperatures more and more.

The final week of February is well off beyond FI, there is every possibility we could see the closing days of February in a similar settled spell as last year, just perhaps not as overly warm as last February, that would take some serious beating.

Temperatures dont bother me that much, it's more about the sunlight. Last February was exceptionally warm but not very enjoyable with the strong breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If an active jet is algined in a north west south east axis, we could get spells of colder weather in between passing systems. Is that what Typhoony meant?
    Anyway i'm not ready for Summer. If we do get very mild temperatures to end February, it's almost a guarantee that we will pay for it later on into Spring.

If an active jet is algined in a north west south east axis, we could get spells of colder weather in between passing systems. Is that what Typhoony meant?
    Anyway i'm not ready for Summer. If we do get very mild temperatures to end February, it's almost a guarantee that we will pay for it later on into Spring.

I think we will get some cold in Spring too, but hopefully it doesn't stick around and ruin the early part of summer either. The depth of cold that's been locked across the pole, Iceland and the northern fringes of Scandinavia all winter has to go somewhere. The PV will weaken eventually, although no signs of that as of yet. I think February will deliver very little if any snow away from high ground in the west and north-west but snow could still happen in March of even April, even if it's very short lived or transitional. With the exception of 2009 and 2010, most years we seem to see more snow in Spring than in Winter.

Those little streamer type showers moving through S. Connacht at the moment are certainly more potent than they look. Brought a rate of almost 50mm/h here as it passed through. Came out of nowhere. Reminded me of the rain we had back in late July and August last year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same up here earlier, was pouring down for a while so I had a look at the radar and there was nothing more than light drizzly stuff being shown

Thought the stretch in the evening was really noticeable today though, first day since the Autumn I got home from work in relative daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Violently windy here Dublin 5 no warning from Met Erieann?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

stevek93 wrote: »
    Violently windy here Dublin 5 no warning from Met Erieann?

Can't see any windspeeds that qualify as even yellow criteria, Dublin airport gusting to 28kts (51km/h) at 1:30 and Casement to 35kts (65km/h). Yellow criteria is gusts between 90km/h and 110km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Very mild yesterday evening,it felt even warm.
    A lovely spin home on the motorcycle last night.
    Yellow wind warning for parts of the west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Don't know where to post this question,
    If our seasons are based roughly on temperature trends from statistics.
    If there was a major change in the statistics say in the next 50 years.
    Could the meteorological seasons change
    Is certain months became colder or warmer.
    It was a long boring night in work last night, it's amazing what can go through your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looking at this mornings models all I can say is roll on Spring, nothing but Atlantic wind and rain forecast for the first half of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The winter here in Central Europe has been non existent this season. Only 3 weeks of winterish weather, which happened over christmas and new year.
    Currently in south and western Poland's big cities its 16-18c. Even here in the mountains its 14c.

The poor ski resorts have spent so much money making snow, its become to the point where they have to make a decision to stop as the costs outweigh the income.

Our neighbours even have their livestock out. Usually in Jan and Feb there is 50cm+ snow lying.

We were at the top of our village yesterday, 1450mASL. There is snow, about 30cm laying around and +5c. Normally over 2 meters at that height.

Not only is the warmth a problem its the fact its so dry. We barely have any precipitation of any sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting to 80kmh in Arklow westerly

2m temperature (anomaly) outlook out to mid -February from this morning's EC mean run:

fpjf4WQ.gif

N. Atlantic cooling down suggesting that a classic 'zonal' pattern will set in towards mid-month.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sign of a relatively mild winter, had to cut the grass today, a lot of growth during the mild few days this week . Cut it around the same time as last year.

Got up to 10.6C and currently 6.6C

We had a very mild January overall, perhaps one of the mildest January's of the past decade. Dunsany finished January with 55.1mm of rain, making it the dryest month since July 2019 and an indicator that the prolonged deluge spell of August-early December is behind us.

What is not behind us is the mild and extremely zonal winter. Dunsany finished with a mean temperature of 5.8C which is 1.2C above the average. During the incredibly mild winter of 2018/2019, Dunsany finished with a 5.0C January, so this January has well beaten last winters January in terms of warmth.

I don't think this winter will beat last winter for overall mild as December this year finished with 5.6C which is 0.5C above average, but that pales in comparison to December 2018 which finished with a balmy 7.6C. February 2018 finished with a 7.0C, more than 2C above average.

We would need this February to be even warmer to stand any chance of beating last winter for overall warmth and I don't think we will do it. However I still think this February will be a milder than average month, making this winter another very mild but not record breaking mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

New York has seen very little snow and is unusually mild this winter. So it’s not just Europe that’s been very mild. Wouldn’t be surprised if the east coast of US gets a major arctic outbreak in the next few weeks though.

• Advertisement

esposito wrote: »
    New York has seen very little snow and is unusually mild this winter. So it’s not just Europe that’s been very mild. Wouldn’t be surprised if the east coast of US gets a major arctic outbreak in the next few weeks though.

most places in the typical northern hemisphere winter zone have been much milder than usual, that includes most of Europe, Russia from the European side to the far east near Alaska and eastern half of north America. Western Canada and probably parts of western US have been below average a fair bit. Very little has changed since over the past 2 months with the mild just going on and on.

Advertisement