Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

topper75 wrote: »
    Would it be so crazy if they ALL had their say and I got to use my own brain to decide?

Or maybe my brain can't be trusted - is that it?

Well let's extent that out to radical Islamists. Facebook and Youtube should not be hosting podcasts and videos for anyone seeking to radicalise people, be they young and impressionable Muslim immigrants or young and impressionable white kids in the west.

There are some people whose brains can't be trusted, hence the lunatics flying out to join Isis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

topper75 wrote: »
    Well - then this raises that big question:

not what they like, but what you like? what who likes? Who sets this bar?

I don't think Alex Jones or his views need discussion in this thread. The banning of them - now that is 'interesting'.

If you think Trump isn't winning 2020 - here's an old Democrat gem for you "It's the economy stupid". People vote with their pocket, not on isms.

His views have not been banned. He is still free to express them. Just not on some online platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looks like his defense of "I'm a fraud and all my followers are unreasonable idiots" (and not for the first time) didn't spare him here.

That literally has been his defense:
    “There can simply be no statement of fact when Mr. Jones views a video of Anderson Cooper and provides his commentary and opinion with regard to possibilities as to why Mr. Cooper’s nose disappeared on the video, all the while directing the viewers’ attention to the very video about which he opined,” a motion to dismiss the suit filed by Jones’s attorney argues. “No reasonable reader or listener would interpret Mr. Jones’ statements regarding the possibility of a ‘blue-screen’ being used as a verifiably false statement of fact, and even if it is verifiable as false, the entire context in which it was made discloses that the statements are mere opinions ‘masquerading as a fact.”

He knows he's a fraud and that he's making all of this sh** up for clickbait, and he knows it is radicalising people into acts of terrorism but yet he continues to peddle those stories about child sex dungeons in pizza shops, school shootings that left toddlers dead being a 'false flag' (parents whose kids were killed continue to get death threats from Jones' followers, the government is controlling the weather, child slave colonies on Mars (no no, really), and on and on it goes.

And the gullible idiots lap it right up in a cult like Jonestown fashion, where the truth is simply what Alex Jones tells them. Good f***ing riddance, from these platforms at least.

https://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-threatens-shoot-pedophile-robert-mueller-accuses-zuckerberg-1038500

In that one, he's making very thinly veiled death threats against Robert Mueller and accusing him of being the leader of a Hollywood pedophilia group.

I don't see how any platform could leave themselves open to lawsuits by hosting that kind of lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Bob24 wrote: »
    This. Anyone who genuinely thinks he has no chance of reelection is still living in the same social/media bubble they were living in 2 years ago and needs more exposure to the outside world.

Remember that he may lose the midterms and win. Clinton did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Looks like his defense of "I'm a fraud and all my followers are unreasonable idiots" (and not for the first time) didn't spare him here.

That literally has been his defense:

He knows he's a fraud and that he's making all of this sh** up for clickbait, and he knows it is radicalising people into acts of terrorism but yet he continues to peddle those stories about child sex dungeons in pizza shops, school shootings that left toddlers dead being a 'false flag' (parents whose kids were killed continue to get death threats from Jones' followers, the government is controlling the weather, child slave colonies on Mars (no no, really), and on and on it goes.

And the gullible idiots lap it right up in a cult like Jonestown fashion, where the truth is simply what Alex Jones tells them. Good f***ing riddance, from these platforms at least.

Actually that is a common enough defense on the US. It’s what the national enquirer use as well. You can’t be defamed by the village idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Remember that he may lose the midterms and win. Clinton did.

Yeah any scenario is possible as far as I’m concerned. The country is so divided with entrenched opionions on both sides that I see the situation as being very open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The lunatic has been removed from the asylum.

No he hasn’t been, his music is still all over YouTube. My favourite is ‘Walking in the Air’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Freedom of speech ≠ the right to a platform

True ... the problem however is that we are not talking about *a* platform being removed here. We are talking about most major online platforms being removed.

The problem is not a company individual decision, but their collective massive influence and the fact that they make identical decisions.

That concentration of power and similar thinking is a genuine threat to free speach and democracy IMO.

You either allow these companies to control their content or you say they have to put up everything that comes their way. There's no middle ground where you say certain companies can control content or only a certain amount can ban the same content.

Also anyone who thinks this is the end of his career or that he won't find another platform is sadly mistaken. He'll probably end up on Fox News.

I'm pretty sure the shooter made their lives a misery.
    in any case I don't consume Alex Jones' content and I also don't believe for one second that YouTube give two fcuks about the parents of Sandy Hook victims.

Of course they don't, if they did they would have kicked him off years ago. A private company kicking you off their hosting platform is not 'silencing', it's them reacting to bad press that would likely impact their bottom line, such is the nature of capitalism. And as is also the nature of capitalism, if Alex Jones didn't generate so many clicks for the likes of Youtube and FB he would never have been allowed to break their TOS so often and would have been booted off of them a long time ago, so long as people reported his videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You either allow these companies to control their content or you say they have to put up everything that comes their way. There's no middle ground where you say certain companies can control content or only a certain amount can ban the same content.

Ageee and I believe as a society we should think hard about this. When a handful of companies control most self-published online content distribution, have a final say of what gets in or not, and tend to all make the same decisions, in my view there is a democratic issue.

I don’t blame companies individually but that is a systemic failure which I think needs to be addressed. Either we force all of them to accept any content which is not illegal, or we break their oligopoly and force the introduction of other large scale distributors which can host legal content which is currently refused by all current major players. Having the standards of what is acceptable on large scale online platforms globally defined by a few company execs in California who pretty much all have the same ideological views is a serious issue IMO. And not just on this case, if you simply want to publish an illustrated art critique of a classical painting which shows certain body parts you will likely get shot down by most of them. Or if you try to express certain ideas they done like and become to popular. The collective power they have is huge and people would be wrong to assume they are safe and it only applies to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

This is just the start freedom of speech is being attacked worldwide for those who don't have leftist views, Antifa can be just as violent as they want and nothing is done to them but someone says something you don't like suddenly they get banned from the airwaves its not good for freedom of speech and democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Ageee and I think as a society we should think about this. When a handful of companies control most self-published online content distribution, have a final say of what gets in or not, and tend to all make the same decisions, in my view there is a democratic issue.

I don’t blame companies individually but that is a systemic failure which I think needs to be addressed. Either we force all of them to accept any content which is not illegal, or we break their oligopoly and force the introduction of other large scale distributors can host legal content which is currently refused by all current major players. Having the standards of what is acceptable on large scale online platforms globally defined by a few company execs in California who prettt much all have the same ideological views is a serious issue IMO. And not just on this case, if you simply want to publish an illustrated art critique of a classical painting which shows certain body parts you will likely get shot down by most of them. Or of you try to express certain ideas they done like and become to popular. The collective power they have is huge and people would be wrong to assume they are safe and it only applies to others.

This is the problem. Who cares about Alex Jones..I don't anyway. But the global media monopolies are a huge problem. Not to mention their absolute control and manipulation of user data. User programming is not a conspiracy idea - it is active policy, direct from the Bernays school of propaganda. If people think it is benign, it is because they are uninformed.

Mutant z wrote: »
    This is just the start freedom of speech is being attacked worldwide for those who don't have leftist views, Antifa can be just as violent as they want and nothing is done to them but someone says something you don't like suddenly they get banned from the airwaves its not good for freedom of speech and democracy.

Alex jones has gone slightly beyond "saying something people dont like". would you be happy for an extremist muslim to be given a platform?

If a poster on boards.ie continuously breaks the forum charter, they tend to get banned. That is what has happened here, only to further the analogy, Jones was allowed break the rules for a lot longer because of the number of 'thanks' (e.g. views... e.g. $$$) his videos generated.

Basically, the biggest error was not kicking him off as soon as he hit the threshold for a ban, as would typically be the course of action when people with less followers do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Strange when feminists say 'kill all men' is not considered hate speech

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

get over it. Freedom of speech is the cause dujour of the right at the moment. Someone spills out hate filled bile like alex jones and when someone else doesn't want to carry that material they're suddenly against freedom of speech.

By all means political views should be free to be discussed but the outright lies that he vomits over the airwaves shouldn't be tolerated.

Show me a Youtube channel where the owner is regularly saying that and advocating for murder.

Here's Youtube banning a feminist video for the use of the 'f' word - https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/youtube-bans-vile-exploitative-f-bomb-feminism-advert-1471386

Youtube deletes tonnes of videos and bans tonnes of content, and has done for a last time. It banned/deleted 8.3mn videos in the last three months of 2017 alone... that's more than one video per second being deleted. In the time I have taken to type this, they will have deleted over 100 videos. Today is just a day like every other day, the only difference is the person getting their stuff deleted happens to have a bigger following than usual (which is the reason he wasn't deleted/banned earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

What is this strange thing on After Hours where almost any subject being discussed eventually descends into....but feminists.

It's really fukcing tiresome at this stage. There's plenty of threads opining feminists, go ask someone who cares on one of those.

• Advertisement

Here's Youtube banning a feminist video for the use of the 'f' word - https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/youtube-bans-vile-exploitative-f-bomb-feminism-advert-1471386

Youtube deletes tonnes of videos and bans tonnes of content, and has done for a last time. It banned/deleted 8.3mn videos in the last three months of 2017 alone... that's more than one video per second being deleted. In the time I have taken to type this, they will have deleted over 100 videos. Today is just a day like every other day, the only difference is the person getting their stuff deleted happens to have a bigger following than usual (which is the reason he wasn't deleted/banned earlier).

That's the thing. The bigger you are the longer it takes because they probably assess it to a different standard.

Alex jones has gone slightly beyond "saying something people dont like". would you be happy for an extremist muslim to be given a platform?
    Speech is speech if you arnt happy with what someone says challenge them and muslim extremists call for sharia law on a regular basis but the left don't seem to be up in arms about that just about those who speak up against it.

Grayson wrote: »

get over it. Freedom of speech is the cause dujour of the right at the moment. Someone spills out hate filled bile like alex jones and when someone else doesn't want to carry that material they're suddenly against freedom of speech.

By all means political views should be free to be discussed but the outright lies that he vomits over the airwaves shouldn't be tolerated.
    Who are you to decide what is acceptable or not the thought police are well out in force it seems.

Speech is speech if you arnt happy with what someone says challenge them and muslim extremists call for sharia law on a regular basis but the left don't seem to be up in arms about that just about those who speak up against it.

You're all over the place here.

This is about Alex Jones being banned on Facebook and Youtube for harassment and radicalising lunatics.

Isis, and muslim extremists are also banned on Facebook and Youtube for harassment and radicalising lunatics.

If a poster on boards.ie continuously breaks the forum charter, they tend to get banned. That is what has happened here, only to further the analogy, Jones was allowed break the rules for a lot longer because of the number of 'thanks' (e.g. views... e.g. $$$) his videos generated.

Basically, the biggest error was not kicking him off as soon as he hit the threshold for a ban, as would typically be the course of action when people with less followers do the same.

I don't know what it's like on social media but I used to work for a huge ecommerce site. On it there were loads of independent sellers. With a small seller who'd just selling an item or two they tended to get suspended or temporary suspension for their first big infraction. With the guys who sell hundreds of thousands a month they would get coaching first. The idea is that they are worth a lot so the company didn't want to lose them.

Who are you to decide what is acceptable or not the thought police are well out in force it seems.

My personal standard would be repeated lies that lead to other people suffering. By all means discuss right wing politics but when it's effectively trolling Sandy Hook survivors you've crossed the lines.

BTW, if you want to know what the lines are for social media companies, read the terms and conditions. The same terms and conditions that Alex Jones agreed to and broke. He knew what the rules are and you're complaining because he got banned for breaking those rules. That's a victim complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

This'll surely play into Jones's hands. It would be mighty surprising if he hasn't got a rant up on Infowars about he's being censored by the globalists for getting too close to the truth, and his fans will absolutely eat that up.

I first heard of Jones when Danny Wallace was doing a series on SKY about conspiracies. Jones was one of the people Wallace talked to. Seemed a little less crazy, then. At the time, he was mainly known around Austin, Texas, where he was based.

The only people up in arms here are people like you. Challenging the likes of Alex Jones is pointless. They are not interested in a debate. In fact i would say it is actively dangerous to do so.

You ban him then you start to ban everyone else who's opinion you don't like where does it all end.

• Advertisement

You ban him then you start to ban everyone else who's opinion you don't like where does it all end.
    Youtube and Facebook are services people sign up to in order to post their opinions and garner reactions - in this sense it is no different to boards.ie, only you post videos rather than words.

Now if I were to use this account to go on a years-long, tireless campaign of harassment of Ana Kriegel's family (the girl who was killed in Lucan a few weeks back) claiming it was a false flag conspiracy and they were in on it, which in turn led to multiple other boards.ie posters sending death threats and the likes to those same grieving family members, then got warnings from mods or admins to stop, but continued on in my claims that it was all false and a conspiracy, and that yes the family are indeed in on it as the death threats continued to flow in to the point that some of the family had to move home multiple times, hundreds of miles away form their daughters' grave... how long do you think my boards.ie account would last?

This is ignoring all the other ones and focusing on just one of the reasons Jones got kicked off Youtube.

Advertisement