Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men of After Hours, can you see when a man is attractive?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah, sometimes it's obvious like a Ryan Gosling type. Then again sometimes it's a bit of a "really?" situation, struggling to think of an example off the top of my head.

Would love to see women's reactions to lads going on about weird looking fellas being "gorgeous" and really attractive guys being "ugly" though, see how they like it! :pac:

LMAO ryan gosling's looks are hailo'd because of his fame but he has great image.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For the men who claim not to be able to figure out if another man is sexy or not, I have a simple foolproof formula to help you;

Does the man look in any way like Rod Stewart?

Yes: sexy
    No: not sexy

Course men can tell if another man is good looking, and they can tell if they themselves are good looking or not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

garrixfan wrote: »
    Interesting approach you took, are you good looking? Seems like a risky move if not.

are you saying I am ugly or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I am very comfortable wit my sexuality and will openly comment and admire a handsome face. I notice a lot of me however are incapable of doing so, and mention stuff like they don't know if girls find a particular guy attractive to the opposite sex? Is the wool really so much over their eyes? It is is plain to me to see when a man is attractive and I am comfortable saying it, in fact I have great admiration for handsome men, and what makes them so attractive to females.

I do not find overly macho men attractive, or least their stature/physique has no influence on me, I'm strictly talking about the face, for example the likes of David Gandy, Francisco Lachowski, Yoann Gourcuff, James Dean, Clint Eastwood etc.
    It seems men have an easy time saying someone like Beckham or Ronaldo are attractive but a harder time distinguishing what makes a non celebrity everyday man attractive?

You can be aware that someone is good looking and attractive more to other people or not goodlooking and still attractive to other people. Your just aware of it and its just what you believe in your head that other people find attractive.

If you are actually attracted to someone it means they turn you on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

I am very comfortable wit my sexuality and will openly comment and admire a handsome face. I notice a lot of me however are incapable of doing so, and mention stuff like they don't know if girls find a particular guy attractive to the opposite sex? Is the wool really so much over their eyes? It is is plain to me to see when a man is attractive and I am comfortable saying it, in fact I have great admiration for handsome men, and what makes them so attractive to females.

I do not find overly macho men attractive, or least their stature/physique has no influence on me, I'm strictly talking about the face, for example the likes of David Gandy, Francisco Lachowski, Yoann Gourcuff, James Dean, Clint Eastwood etc.
    It seems men have an easy time saying someone like Beckham or Ronaldo are attractive but a harder time distinguishing what makes a non celebrity everyday man attractive?

I always tend to think people secure in their sexuality never really have to say it.

If you find men attractive you are obviously not, however there is nothing wrong with having admiration for the physical looks of another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They're probably being more honest with you than you are with yourself really. What you're doing, it isn't admiring handsome men, it's looking at men and suggesting that you can see why women would find them attractive. Other men are telling you that they can't pretend to speak for what anyone else finds attractive. Me personally, I don't particularly care to comment on ordinary people's looks to other people because it's usually just impolite to do so.

I'd say it's more likely they have no interest in trying to read other people's minds is all. It's also possible they simply have no interest in men.

Me personally, I don't particularly care to comment on ordinary people's looks to other people because it's usually just impolite to do so.

My friends never tire of telling me I'm an ugly SOB, that my wife is beautiful, then the "how did you do it" line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes, of course.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have no trouble whatsoever in telling (and saying) if a guy is good looking or not. I'm not attracted to men in any way (except maybe an inexplicable man crush on Brian Cox - fúck me he's a handsome divil:D) but if someone is particularly good looking it's pretty obvious whether you're inclined that way or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Every time I look in the mirror
    But you have your back turned to it;)

Of course you can tell whether a guy is attractive or not. Anyone that says otherwise just feels insecure about admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

'Attractive' - no
    'Good looking' - yes
    I think this probably sums it up really. It's pretty easy to spot people who are conventionally good looking. We're all humans sharing a common culture at the end of the day, so what we consider to be "beauty" falls within in a relatively common scope.

But there's always variation, other factors to attraction and that's usually what the opposite sex can't spot.

Daniel Craig is a good example. If he was just your mate's mate Danny down the pub, you'd think, "Nice guy, but the poor fella's been hit by the ugly stick a couple of times." He looks like he played too much rugby in school and got in too many fights in college.

But other factors are in play. He's wealthy and famous, which improve his attractiveness anyway, but this also gives him more control over his image by way of personal trainers, and stylists and such. Making ugly Danny from the pub someone that millions of women swoon over.

That's the bit that I think both sexes struggle with - identifying those of the same sex without conventional good looks who still carry enormous amounts of sex appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I can say a man is attractive, I just don't find them sexually attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Health is the biggest indicator of attractiveness to our brains.

We are all capable of seeing people who are healthier/fitter/stronger... It's just that we call it something else. We label it beauty.

Just like we're all hyper sensitive to the signs of the aging process... as this is a visible sign of decline in health. (and hence beauty)

Things like facial structure, space between the eyes, size of ears... general proportions etc are all things we subconsciously associate with different degrees of beauty - but these are also the key signs of a stronger/healthier person too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I would see certain guys and recognise straight away, that a lot of girls would find them attractive. Other times I would miss it altogether, case in point: herself was watching "take me out", when an Irish lad came on, who looked like he had more make up, on t the 30 girls combined. Figured it would be a turnoff for a load of them, to date a guy, who was so image conscious, result no lights offs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Has anyone said "no homo" yet?

I can tell the hard on the eye and easy on the eye extremes easily enough, but overall not so much. That's just on looks, other attractive qualities I'd be adrift on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Dammn that must have been brutal for you! Interesting approach you took, are you good looking? Seems like a risky move if not. Did she try to make a move on this hunk?

What a weird thing to ask. Are you saying that if you were on a date with a woman, and she pointed out another woman who she thought was good looking, you'd say "Thanks for pointing her out, nice one" and then get up from the table and try to ride the other woman? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

OFC I can recognize if another man is good looking and I'm sure most can too but are to afraid to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I don't care how straight you are, if you look at Jon Hamm and your first thought isn't "Good Christ that's a good loooking man" there's something wrong with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

Kev W wrote: »
    I don't care how straight you are, if you look at Jon Hamm and your first thought isn't "Good Christ that's a good loooking man" there's something wrong with you.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'm 100% straight but I can say without any doubt that Ryan Gosling & Tom Hardy are a pair of rides :pac:

Don't get the popularity of Gosling. Has the look of someone that is about to start dribbling.
    biko wrote: »
    I saw a very attractive man yesterday in a window.

Turned out it was a mirror.

What were you doing looking in The Backwards Man's windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Most people that say a baby/child is beautiful don't want to have sex with them.

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Most people that say a baby/child is beautiful don't want to have sex with them.

Yeah, but try saying to a parent that their 7 year old is attractive.

I'd suggest you might get an entirely different reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

How about members of your family? My female friend has a couple of fiiiiine looking male cousins but she insists that she can't consider them as good looking at all. Even in the most detached, analytical way she refuses to concede that they are particularly handsome men. I don't get it. She says it's weird to think "like that" about family.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

If you mean good looking it's fairly easy. Just look for symmetrical features, bodies in shape, height (for men) and so on. Although sometimes people can look great in photos and seem less impressive in real life.

Although if you ask can I see who is attractive to women, you really have to see them talking to girls, as body language and how they carry themselves makes a huge difference, I'd argue in some extreme cases it can boost their attractiveness by up to 50 percent.

The latter is clearly something you can't see in photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

I can tell with extremes, in a comparative sense, I guess. I can tell Brad Pitt is better looking that Danny Devito, (poor oul Danny, he always gets used as my not good looking guy example, have to find someone else to use). Danny is short, bald, fat, etc. Brand's tall, fit etc. But outside of that, not really, no.

If you took the three lads in the cast of Friends for example, Joey was always talked about as a really good looking guy, Ross and Chandler weren't, but without knowing that, if I was to try and put them in order I'd be just guessing randomly.

I remember when I was a young lad, I asked a female friend of mine if she'd ask a friend of hers to meet a friend of mine, as was the etiquette at the time. She told me straight off there was no point as my friend really wasn't a very good looking guy and she'd just say no, news to me, he was tall and fit and didn't have six noses or was missing teeth or anything, so really couldn't see it.

I suppose if there's something obvious like a massive nose or they're fat or whatever then I know they're unattractive traits.

But in general, no, men just look like men to me in the way cats just look like cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Of course you can tell whether a guy is attractive or not. Anyone that says otherwise just feels insecure about admitting it.

That's pretty lazy reasoning, as vast generalisations tend to be I suppose.

I have no problem saying that another man is handsome, but I'm often wrong, at least according to the women in my social circle.

I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense too because the features that I, as a straight man, identify as attractive are not going to be the same ones that a straight woman will.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I have yet to meet a man who wouldn't go gay for Josh Homme.

• Advertisement

folamh wrote: »
    I have yet to meet a man who wouldn't go gay for Josh Homme.

Until now.

Nacho. Pleased to meet ya.

Advertisement