Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Shed for Bikes

• 31-05-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Finally I've been told to stop bringing my bikes into the house :/

So going to have to get a new shed (current one is half rotten and no where near secure).

Was thinking of a steel shed for security. Anyone use a steel shed for their bikes? Is condensation an issue, and do you need installation?

Any recommendations? Only have about 2k max to spend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

awww, the poor bikes! be all cold and dark an all :eek: :P

But seriously though... we used these guys: https://www.shanettesheds.ie/ and I see there is a 10' x 6'6 one there that you could even get fully insulated and be near enough to your budget. But... and it is a bit of a big but... the concrete base for it needs to be factored in. If you already have the area concreted, or you are able to follow their spec for it and do it yourself then grand...nice few bob saved.

Personally, I'd stick a camera in there just to have piece of mind (like the Blink Ones for example) just in case.

We don't actually store our bikes in the shed, but when talking with the guys there in Kilbeggan...they have special vents built in to prevent condensation. It does work, but we're in an exposed windy area so we've plenty of through-wind. Actually on that point...despite being REALLY exposed (like nothing to block the wind) and all the storms that hit us, it's solid as a rock. I'd recommend these guys no bother.

now, there is another crowd that do the metal sheds...steeltech or something. very similar but on recommendations locally we went with Shannete. I've passed trucks on the motorway heading to Dublin a good few times, so they do seem to supply to not only the midlands.

I actually do have an old frame in the shed that I couldn't bring myself to throw out. Still looks fine and it's there nearly 5yrs now. Same with the couple of sets of old old knackered wheels that are stored there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭kirving

I've a steel shed at home, where I and my brother keep our bikes.

If I was to get another, I'd definitely get a lock which is built into the door rather than an external padlock which can be more easily attacked.

While I can actually get a lock around the internal steel frame, I'd love specific fixings welded to the frame where I could attach the lock. I'm sure any shed company would do this for a nominal charge.

Finally, in terms of space, I've put some hooks onto the uppermost frame crossmember and put the front wheel into it, not perfect, but great for the MTB which I don't take out every day.

I think most shed companies also do shelving, but I bought 4 Lidl shelves for €30 each which are great for tools and bike bits. Not the sturdiest things in existence, but I've no need for warehouse quality shelving.

Can't say I've found condensation to be a problem at all. Minimally insulated roof and some ventilation where it meets the walls has been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I've a steel shed at home, where I and my brother keep our bikes.

Do you remember where you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭kirving

Sorry yep, Clane Steel Garden Sheds.

https://www.clanesteelgardensheds.ie/

Was actually my parents who bought it, but now full of my stuff as I'm sure is often the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IMO trying to secure the shed is a losers game. Unless you go for something massively expensive that's more like a garage then you can get into many(all?) with a swift kick.

Secure the bikes instead. Buy a set of Sheffield stands and bury the bases in concrete. Then pop a cheapo Woodies shed over the top. Let them get in, they won't get the bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

ED E wrote: »
    IMO trying to secure the shed is a losers game. Unless you go for something massively expensive that's more like a garage then you can get into many(all?) with a swift kick.

Secure the bikes instead. Buy a set of Sheffield stands and bury the bases in concrete. Then pop a cheapo Woodies shed over the top. Let them get in, they won't get the bikes.

Not that handy to do all that. Want a secure shed as I remember my dad having a new bike from his shed nicked with just a hammer to ply open the shed and a hacksaw, granted the lock was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Had a yardmaster cheapo steel job from Argos - absolute condensation drip monster.

Bought an Adman steel shed with anti-condensation coating (like a fluffy wool) and it's ace. It gets damp, so garden furniture cushions get mildew but the bikes and tools are fine. I have a beer fridge, stereo and the like and everything is still perfect after 4 years.

Wasn't what I would class as cheap - but I went to the farm building grade and got it powered and was the going rate for Ireland.

Think they have a deal with woodies, so you get priority but if you go direct you get either a bike rack or workbench included (the workbench is decent, have added a #3 vice with no bother).

Would buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there anything you can get with any sort of reinforced door? Where I live professional thieves are using battery powered angle grinders to cut locks. i imagine they'd fancy their chances hidden inside a shed in the middle of the day if they thought no one was home. Not sure what lock or anything sunk into concrete would do for you then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

No.

Asgard do a security bike shed but they are pretty tiny.

Anyone who wants into anything can get it. You just have to make your place less appealing than next door/down the road.

You can slow them down but that can make then more determined.

Or they cut through the frame and flog the bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

andy69 wrote: »
    awww, the poor bikes! be all cold and dark an all :eek: :P

But seriously though... we used these guys: https://www.shanettesheds.ie/ and I see there is a 10' x 6'6 one there that you could even get fully insulated and be near enough to your budget. But... and it is a bit of a big but... the concrete base for it needs to be factored in. If you already have the area concreted, or you are able to follow their spec for it and do it yourself then grand...nice few bob saved.

Personally, I'd stick a camera in there just to have piece of mind (like the Blink Ones for example) just in case.

We don't actually store our bikes in the shed, but when talking with the guys there in Kilbeggan...they have special vents built in to prevent condensation. It does work, but we're in an exposed windy area so we've plenty of through-wind. Actually on that point...despite being REALLY exposed (like nothing to block the wind) and all the storms that hit us, it's solid as a rock. I'd recommend these guys no bother.

now, there is another crowd that do the metal sheds...steeltech or something. very similar but on recommendations locally we went with Shannete. I've passed trucks on the motorway heading to Dublin a good few times, so they do seem to supply to not only the midlands.

I actually do have an old frame in the shed that I couldn't bring myself to throw out. Still looks fine and it's there nearly 5yrs now. Same with the couple of sets of old old knackered wheels that are stored there.

Can also recommend these guys. Did a lot of research a few years back and they were my pick. No problems whatsoever with the shed. Got the "silver" level insulation. No condensation ever noticed, even when turbotraining in the middle of it! Yes, they do deliver to Dublin no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do you guys hang the bikes?

We need a new shed for both general usage and bikes, they're currently stored indoors. It was looking like going down the shed and bike locker type thing as we don't want the main shed taking up too much space. Would never have thought of condensation being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Not sure on your budget but I went with these guys a couple of years back and am very happy with them.
    https://www.loghouse.ie/

They put the boot in for painting, guttering and electrics so I sorted that myself.
    Might not be what you're after but I've a treadmill, bikes and turbo in there and I work in it.
    Big locks, an alarm with solid doors (better than on my house) give peace of mind too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Used to have one of them at my office, their great but overkill for my needs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

That's true. Definitely too much if you're only after storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

towger wrote: »
    Great sheds. Again, best put in concrete base to take full advantage of the security features..

They’ve rocketed in price though since we hit our one some years back

Advertisement