Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Bike Sales

Options
  • 25-04-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere I can buy a bike online at the minute? I want to get a bmx or something for my 12 year old to have a bit of a cycle around the estate during the summer. Need to get him off the xbox for a while. I dont want anything fancy, just a basic bike.

Social distancing guidelines will be adheared to, it is just to cycle beside us as we go for our walk around the estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Argos are delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

They dont appear to be delivering, no home delivery or store pickup options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

ThinkBike in Rathmines & Terenure are delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Is there anywhere I can buy a bike online at the minute? I want to get a bmx or something for my 12 year old to have a bit of a cycle around the estate during the summer. Need to get him off the xbox for a while. I dont want anything fancy, just a basic bike.

Social distancing guidelines will be adheared to, it is just to cycle beside us as we go for our walk around the estate.

Chainreactioncycles are open and delivering free to Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Eurocycles and cyclesuperstore delivering too.

• Advertisement

By all means buy on price but please think of local jobs and businesses when deciding where to buy. And where taxes are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I am sure any LBS will be more than happy, in this difficult time, to sell to you online and deliver. Just contact them to ask.

And I share your concerns re xbox etc!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think most local bike shops (LBS) are taking orders over the phone.
    Call your local one and they'll tell you. You will also get more bang for your buck from them compared to Argos or the other UK multiples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its amazing how many LBS do not update their websites.

I actually given up on the LBS as they are always out the door.
    Leave something in for repair and you have to hound them to get it done, or back.
    As they never ring you back. I don't rely on them anymore.

I'll do a lot of stuff myself. But Last time I actually went to Halford's.
    They had an appointment system, for drop off and collection.
    They did a decent job. But I guess that luck of the draw who you get.
    Some of the shops seem to have knowledgeable guys in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

By all means buy on price but please think of local jobs and businesses when deciding where to buy. And where taxes are paid.

Had to chuckle at this when you think of the corporates and online domains registered in Ireland for tax purposes.

• Advertisement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Had to chuckle at this when you think of the corporates and online domains registered in Ireland for tax purposes.

If you had a small business in Ireland at the moment you'd have very little reason to chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I tried my best to buy local but it was hard to find anyone open. One prominent local guy was open, made me a load of promises about 2nd hand bikes coming in, dragged it out for two weeks, told me the bike was in and ready for the next day then totally abandoned me. No response to texts or emails. Had to tell my son the bike was not coming after all. Very disapointing service, very disapointed kid. Tried further afield then, found a few shops in Dublin who were delivering nationwide. Was in contact with one, picked out 2 bikes and then, totally abandoned again. No response to messages,. Again, very disapointed kids. Ended up having to buy two bikes off littlewoods, one seems ok, the other has screws falling out left right and centre.

Very disapointing service from the Irish bike retailers, I know they are busy as loads of people were looking to buy bikes with the good good weather but customer service should still be a priority. You may be busy now but this rush will pass and you may wish you had treated potential customers a bit better during the good times. I know I wont be buying any bikes over in the West Side area of galway at any time in the future.

Advertisement