Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yikes, no bikes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone see the cycling piece on the news? Got a chuckle from the couple who were definite bandwagon jumpers and that queue at cycling superstore :eek:
    Was laughing at that aswell, the young one in particular basically just said "I jump on every bandwagon going and when I heard cycling was popular at the minute I said why not and bought this".

Looking forward to picking up a decent MTB for Winter commuting from the glut on Adverts when the weather turns...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Did anyone see the cycling piece on the news? Got a chuckle from the couple who were definite bandwagon jumpers and that queue at cycling superstore :eek:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0531/1143707-bike-boom-covid-retailers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think at least it shows that if the infrastructure is such that people are more confident about cycling then they will take to it.

Would love to see us be like Copenhagen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well that and people jobs being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think at least it shows that if the infrastructure is such that people are more confident about cycling then they will take to it....
    More to do with good weather, people with more time on their hands, and parents trying to occupy/entertain children than anything to do with infrastructure I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is the Brompton a folding bike? I was looking at a folding bike and interested in getting one.

Yes - they are expensive but definitely worth it. I've had cheaper folding bikes in the past but the Brompton folds so small and quickly, and has great luggage storage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

billyhead wrote: »
    They will be back in the car and on public transport when the weather turns and when the winter draws in.
    I hope you're wrong. I think the numbers cycling is more about the reduction in motor traffic than the weather, although recent weather is also a factor. I was at Dollymount yesterday and the numbers cycling and walking in the car free area was way more than would be seen where there is traffic. People have stopped walking and cycling in this country as it is unsafe. We see the evidence in an increase in road deaths among vulnerable road users as their numbers swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

Seeing a steady stream of 'please look out for this stolen bike' posts on Facebook. I hope people that do manage to get new bikes are investing in good locks at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Didn't Australia have the same issue as well? Couldn't get bikes.

Took up cycling a few months ago and really enjoying it. Saving so much instead of using the car or the bus. Now, I'd take the bike out first before anything else.

Yeah, missus has been toying with getting a proper bike as she only had a horrible bike shaped object from Aldi. So finally decided to bite the bullet in lockdown here in Brisbane.

Called around and most bike shops all said the same thing. 6 months of stock sold in 3 weeks and everything is on order at least in relation to more budget friendly options.

Luckily we still got a Merida Scultura 100. She's currently trying to get used to drop bars and giving me a heart attack watching her.

When lockdown first kicked off around here the bike paths were absolute jammers. Families everywhere but restrictions have eased and it's gone back to being quiet. I imagine there will be a killing to be made on second hand bikes in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

More to do with good weather, people with more time on their hands, and parents trying to occupy/entertain children than anything to do with infrastructure I'd say.
    I'm not so sure - quieter roads has played a big part where I live. Obviously the weather is a factor, and people stuck in the house, but some of it must be less traffic (which is essentially an infrastructure issue)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think a lot is due to less traffic. I was out a few times with kids over the weekend, even stopping off in Kilbride, a route that many will be familiar with. There was the usual large number of groups out for their rides around that area, but while we enjoyed some ice cream during our stop there were many more individuals, duos and groups (groups were mostly kids) that you wouldn't normally see out sauntering around, pretty relaxed. When we pulled out a group of cars caught up, previously having been behind an individual, and all gave us our space as they passed, apart from a construction van who was a bit of a dick and overtook us, and others, in stupid places.

The road into Kiblride, from the 3 directions, can often be unpleasant with many motorists ignoring the reduced speed limit into the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's all about the reduction in traffic. We had a 7-week heatwave in 2018 and there was no great uptick in cycling, certainly not compared to this one.

All down to how much safer families and cyclists feel being out and about. Weather aids this for sure but the base imperatives I'm convinced are safety (traffic reduction) and opportunity (lockdown/nowhere else to be).

All?

A vast amount of people are not at school or work.

Even those who are WFH have about 2~4 hours extra due to no commuting.

Also a lot of car parks are reduced or closed at parks until recently. The only way of getting to them is by foot or cycling.

beauf wrote: »
    A vast amount of people are not at school or work.
    To a lesser extent this happens every summer, yet we don't see a massive rise in cycling and walking during the summer.
    Even those who are WFH have about 2~4 hours extra due to no commuting.
    I pity anyone commuting 2 hours a day. Personally, If I had to commute 4 hours a day I'd take a long hard look at my life choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

To a lesser extent this happens every summer, yet we don't see a massive rise in cycling and walking during the summer.

I pity anyone commuting 2 hours a day. Personally, If I had to commute 4 hours a day I'd take a long hard look at my life choices.

My wife has close to that commute.

We bought where we bought because it's what we could afford. Subsequently my wife went back to work. Given her line of work, the city centre was the only real option when it came to resuming her career.

Our kids lives are where we live, school friends, sports etc, and there's no way we could afford to move to Dublin, even if we wanted to.

Which of our life choices should we be taking a long hard look at

To a lesser extent this happens every summer, yet we don't see a massive rise in cycling and walking during the summer. ...

Really? I see a massive difference. Do you live in the Sahara by any chance?

cletus wrote: »

Which of our life choices should we be taking a long hard look at
    I said "personally". I couldn't picture myself in your situation and I don't know your values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Is it time to start a rip off Ireland alive and well bike shops during Covid thread?
    I'm not talking small LBS's but should the bigger shops be allowed get away with it.
    I understand I cant name the big shop for legal reasons but I hope all the new custom will always be there for them.
    I for one will certainly be going elsewhere possibly even abroad given the increase and how it was done experience I was on the back end of.
    Anyone else find that??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You talking servicing or what?

Bikes have well established RRP's so it's easy enough to know if you're being overcharged. But... whaddya gonna do? Supply and demand innit.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    You talking servicing or what?

Bikes have well established RRP's so it's easy enough to know if you're being overcharged. But... whaddya gonna do? Supply and demand innit.

The well established RRP was changed after I expressed interest in the bike...
    No ones buying this bike regardless of supply and demand Im talking very top end.
    Typical Ireland I suppose sicken you to the teeth.
    Rant over

No ones buying this bike regardless of supply and demand Im talking very top end.
    Typical Ireland I suppose sicken you to the teeth.
    Rant over

No ones buying this bike regardless of supply and demand

Well, there's your answer I would have thought. A business is in no real position to fleece if there's no market for what they're selling - walk away and shop somewhere else. "Very top end" is 10 grand plus nowadays. Bike shortages and price gouging I would have thought would be absolutely restricted to the lower end , sub 800 bracket. There's no queues out the door of any shop for high end stuff and in my opinion the world is still your oyster in terms of choice and availability if you've a healthy wedge to spend on a bike.

Neighbour is waiting at the door for imminent delivery of a Focus Izalco Race with full dura ace, snapped up for 1999 !!! -Lucky devil, got lucky with sizing and timing.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

contact the manufacturer/distributor to ask if they have a policy on supplying shops pulling this sort of tactic.

Well known shop regularly changes prices on bikes. One bike is about 220 in their normal "sale". At the moment its 300.
    But really its ok for a shop to make money on something that in demand. No?

But this isn't just because of Covid. Some retailers are well known for this, which is why you get price tracker websites.

I might just keep up the running and wait until BTW is due to further discount my efforts...:D

To any women looking at Fat Blokes figures no one has a budget that big for a bike................:eek:
    You may need to delete that post lad!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

contact the manufacturer/distributor to ask if they have a policy on supplying shops pulling this sort of tactic.
    actually, do you mean they changed their previous price, or they're now pricing it *above* RRP? RRP and 'typical' retail price can be very different things.

Well known shop regularly changes prices on bikes. One bike is about 220 in their normal "sale". At the moment its 300.
    But really its ok for a shop to make money on something that in demand. No?

But this isn't just because of Covid. Some retailers are well known for this, which is why you get price tracker websites.

Im not disputing them making money I know how sales work...
    Its the way they did it and the amount 10% to 20% on low priced sale tagged items no worries its when the list price is of a higher value.
    I was in the shop had the bike in my hand so to speak was calling back to see it assembled out of the box.

I might just keep up the running and wait until BTW is due to further discount my efforts...:D

To any women looking at Fat Blokes figures no one has a budget that big for a bike................:eek:

G'wan, sure at this stage you may as well tell us the bike and and shop. Or the bike and the price at least!

As for the above - I'm on a long term campaign. Significant birthday in 5 years time. Expecting to be bought, or facilitated in the buying of, a new bike. So it's in my interest to inflate budgets and expectations! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

In fairness to Fat Bloke,you did say very top end in youre post about the bike you wanted to buy.I'd consider €10,000 to be the starting figure for a topend bike.Plenty of normal working people spend €5,000 easy on a bike,so when you mentioned topend, €10,000 came into my mind as well as Fat Bloke's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I understand I cant name the big shop for legal reasons but I hope all the new custom will always be there for them.
    I don't what you are going to reveal, but if it's simply a price they are asking for a model of a particular bike I see no reason you cannot say this, sure we have a bargain alerts forum with people stating prices for thousands of items, not all are good prices but that should not matter. If the price is publicly advertised I can't see the issue.

There is also a rip off forum naming shops charging loads for stuff.

Advertisement