Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland civil war book recommendations

Options
  • 03-03-2020 11:03pm

Hi all,

With the centenary coming up, I realised I don't really know anything much about the civil war. Would you have any recommendations?

Many thanks,
    Pappa D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm afraid it's been so long since I've read any general books on it I can't really recommend anything.. but maybe a few quick questions might help others or remind me of something

How is your War of Independence knowledge? Would a book that covers both be better

Only national or also local? I quite enjoyed "Kilkenny in times of revolution" if you live nearby, although the Civil War section is small enough

Military/political, personal account/overview?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Michael Hopkinson's Green Against Green is a pretty good, comprehensive overview.

For a more personal approach, I enjoyed Meda Ryan's book on Liam Lynch.

And then you get the memoirs, Todd Andrews' and Padraig O'Connor's being my favourites - and since they were on opposite sides, you get the different POVs.

My war of Independence knowledge would also be abysmal!thank you for the recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Almost forgot to include Seán Enright's book, which takes a legalistic - though no less dangerous - look at the CW.

9781785372537.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Earnie O’Malley’s books would be useful, he is one of the few who wrote books and dealt with it , he was also one of the more fervent anti truce men

Agree with the above on Hopkins civil war book and would also suggest his book on the Tan War as it might open people’s eyes as to how quiet many counties were In that war and see the stark contrast with the civil war .

• Advertisement
Advertisement