Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti-vaxxers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

She was in the worst Blade film and the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre so clearly we should be ignoring the scientists and doctors.

Wasn't she Mr Peanutbutters ex wife in Bojack Horseman?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

batgoat wrote: »
    In fairness, great in The Sinner... But god knows why these people think their opinions on the subject are of any value...

In fairness, B nobody can be an expert on everything. Or even one thing based on how every aspect of society seems to be getting ever more complex. It's this idea that scientists and doctors are in cahoots with big Pharma, whatever that is, and that the biggest morons and scam artists are the only ones talking sense that I don't understand.

The cynic in me reckons Biel is just looking for attention. She's not even a C-lister any more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

I did some research over the last few weeks in my spare time and I would have to side with the pro vaxxers. There is plenty evedince available to show that vaccination is safe.
    Couldn't find anything on Jessica Biel but if you look into most of these anti vaxxers you will find that they are pro trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

waxmoth wrote: »
    Tamiflu/oseltamivir is a very good example of regulatory failure and how an ineffective drug can gain widespread acceptance (including WHO approval). When the full clinical data was eventually procured the producers claims were found not to be upheld. The reduction in duration of symptoms in adults is ~16hrs (from 7 to 6.3 days) and there are significant side effects.
    https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008965.pub4/media/CDSR/CD008965/CD008965.pdf
    If this is true then why is Tamiflu still on the market and being prescribed by doctors. Governments have stockpiles of this and when the next flu pandemic hits there will be massive demand for this.

If the clinical data was found to be not reliable then this means that all the pharma regulatory bodies worldwide are corrupt, in that they are allowing a known ineffective drug to remain on the market. Is this realistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

hcf500 wrote: »
    I did some research over the last few weeks in my spare time and I would have to side with the pro vaxxers. There is plenty evedince available to show that vaccination is safe.
    Couldn't find anything on Jessica Biel but if you look into most of these anti vaxxers you will find that they are pro trump

Robert de Niro is a high profile anti vaxxer and is not pro Trump. Then there’s RFK jr, and he has aligned with two cults (scientology and the nation of islam on the issue). If you want to make a dig at Trump supporters then try something else because frankly liberalism is infested with this type of woo nonsense.
    The anti fact crowd seem to fall into a couple areas; conservatives seem to be based on anti authority or anti science and liberals anti corporation and their idea of what natural should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ipso wrote: »
    Robert de Niro is a high profile anti vaxxer .....

Aw maaaan. I used to like DeNiro..... Dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Robert de Niro is a high profile anti vaxxer and is not pro Trump. Then there’s RFK jr, and he has aligned with two cults (scientology and the nation of islam on the issue). If you want to make a dig at Trump supporters then try something else because frankly liberalism is infested with this type of woo nonsense.
    The anti fact crowd seem to fall into a couple areas; conservatives seem to be based on anti authority or anti science and liberals anti corporation and their idea of what natural should be.

AKA the fringes on both sides of the political spectrum. United by their tendencies to get behind utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In fairness, B nobody can be an expert on everything. Or even one thing based on how every aspect of society seems to be getting ever more complex. It's this idea that scientists and doctors are in cahoots with big Pharma, whatever that is, and that the biggest morons and scam artists are the only ones talking sense that I don't understand.

The cynic in me reckons Biel is just looking for attention. She's not even a C-lister any more.
    Rich people , especially in entertainment, often feel they have to put their name to something noble. Some of them have the smarts to do so very well but many just have instant recognition, well-followed social media accounts and a sense that they should be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

is_that_so wrote: »
    Rich people , especially in entertainment, often feel they have to put their name to something noble. Some of them have the smarts to do so very well but many just have instant recognition, well-followed social media accounts and a sense that they should be heard.

I'll take a wild guess that she is also a fan of wellness and treating the whole person.

I'll take a wild guess that she is also a fan of wellness and treating the whole person.
    Doesn't eat dairy or gluten and does yoga. Most of her other charitable work is non-controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It seems she isnt actually anti-vax after all. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/13/jessica-biel-joins-campaign-against-vaccination-law

Her opposition to the bill is due to a restriction on medical exemptions it would oppose.

It seems she isnt actually anti-vax after all. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/13/jessica-biel-joins-campaign-against-vaccination-law

Her opposition to the bill is due to a restriction on medical exemptions it would oppose.
    From that article - She declined to vaccinate her son in 2015, so at best she seems to favour uninformed choice. Optics of supporting an anti-vaxxer not exactly good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm reminded of Brass Eye now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Big study showing linkage between genetics and autism, analyzed here: https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/genetics-cause-autism-study-vaccines/

”the current study results provide the strongest evidence to our knowledge to date that the majority of risk for autism spectrum disorders is from genetic factors,” said a team led by Sven Sandin, an epidemiological researcher at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I'm reminded of Brass Eye now :)

Reminded of Brass Eye and The Day Today every day. Tonight's C4 News featured discussion of the proposition that "sterling gets punched in the face!"

Woman that contracted measles on flight from NYC->Israel has died. Anti-vax gift keeps giving

https://www.timesofisrael.com/el-al-flight-attendant-dies-4-months-after-contracting-measles-on-plane-from-ny/

1022 cases up to June, 2019. All-time highest since eradication in 2000.

CA state senator, who is sponsoring legislation to reduce vaccine exemptions, attacked by an anti-vaxx loon. Funny how the fringe types in the US are always violent.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-21/richard-pan-confronted-anti-vaccine-activist

Fortunately this didn't end up as these things so often do in the US, with firearm use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mikeecho wrote: »
    I know a few anti vaxers, the same few have views on Monsanto /coca cola etc

A few of them have what I consider poor levels of education, ie home schooled (their parents were hippies)

The others. ... I honestly believe that they have either mental deficiencies or are easily lead by the fantastic.

yep, its those new age hippy types that are spearheading this lunacy, they've got it in for 5g as well...they're convinced its all mind control:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭Ecce No Homo

tigger123 wrote: »
    It's an excellent way to tackle it: 'If you're going to put the population of the school at risk, you're not welcome.'

If all the other children are vaccinated then how are you putting them at risk by letting your unvaccinated child go to the same school? Isn't the whole point of vaccines that they vaccinate the child from an illness?

If all the other children are vaccinated then how are you putting them at risk by letting your unvaccinated child go to the same school? Isn't the whole point of vaccines that they vaccinate the child from an illness?

Some children cannot receive vaccination due to other medical conditions. vaccines are not 100% efficacious. If you have too many unvaccinated children then chances of an outbreak massively increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Vaccination/epidemiology effificacy is more effectively measured at a population level, rather than individual. Overall herd immunity increases as the % individuals vaccinated increases, allowing individuals derive protection from the herd, but this is lowered as the ratio vaccinated v unvaccinated decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The efficacy of vaccines varies from person to person. For example vaccines give me limited and short term protection of Hep B, My wife for some reason despite multiple inoculations has no resistance to measles.

Neither of us knew that until we have to get tested for work related issues.

Plus not all children CAN be vaccinated.. Some children has immune issues or other health issues that means they cannot be vaccinated.

To eliminate pathogens (like we achieved with Smallpox and to a lesser extent polio) you need to achieve herd immunity so the virus no longer can maintain a reservoir within the population. Once you achieve that they the need for vaccination is eliminated..

Anti-vaxxers staying classy as always. Throwing menstrual cups of blood at the California Senate as it debates new regs to prevent bogus medical exemptions. Violence is an anti-vaxxer thing it seems.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/anti-vaccine-protester-menstrual-cup-blood-california-senate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Igotadose wrote: »
    Anti-vaxxers staying classy as always. Throwing menstrual cups of blood at the California Senate as it debates new regs to prevent bogus medical exemptions. Violence is an anti-vaxxer thing it seems.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/anti-vaccine-protester-menstrual-cup-blood-california-senate.html

This is for the dead babies!!! Crazy. On an unrelated matter it said they went until they had all work done and then adjourned for the year!!!!

Theres a major class action coming up in the high court in a few weeks. Lets see how quiet this thread gets when the vaccine manufacturer loses!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Theres a major class action coming up in the high court in a few weeks. Lets see how quiet this thread gets when the vaccine manufacturer loses!
    A class action?
    I thought GDPR was the only legislation here that allowed a type of class action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks for the links. :rolleyes:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Thanks for the links. :rolleyes:

There you go

Not a class action. because we dont have those in ireland.

• Advertisement

Not a class action. because we dont have those in ireland.

OK, not a class action but very similar! Having read more about it, it is a "test case". The outcome of that case will mostly determine the outcome of the following cases? Apparently they are almost certain to win the case. Is it the gov or gsk that will have to pay though? Both are being sued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement