Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Contract change

• 10-04-2019 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

CONTRACT CHANGE: From 15th May 2019 the rates in your plan for calls & SMS from ROI to EU are reducing to 23.37c per min & 7.38c (inc. VAT) respectively. If you have an add-on that gives you a rate for such calls or SMS, this rate will also be reducing. For more about these changes, see 3.ie/op31j8 From Three.

I remember the last time Three changes contracts you could break a contract and go sim only. I wonder if this is possible with above ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

CONTRACT CHANGE: From 15th May 2019 the rates in your plan for calls & SMS from ROI to EU are reducing to 23.37c per min & 7.38c (inc. VAT) respectively. If you have an add-on that gives you a rate for such calls or SMS, this rate will also be reducing. For more about these changes, see 3.ie/op31j8 From Three.

I remember the last time Three changes contracts you could break a contract and go sim only. I wonder if this is possible with above ?

I can be corrected here but i think its only if prices are increased that a contract can be cancelled....Open to correction tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I can be corrected here but i think its only if prices are increased that a contract can be cancelled....Open to correction tho.

I guess that makes sense. But a change is a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I guess that makes sense. But a change is a change.

You can only cancel on an increase. Its in their small print

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You can only cancel on an increase. Its in their small print

Any idea where in their small print?

My knowledge of contract law is a bit rusty, but any unilateral change to a contract .. is a change to what was agreed .. unless the contract specifically references that rates may go down etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

Any idea where in their small print?

My knowledge of contract law is a bit rusty, but any unilateral change to a contract .. is a change to what was agreed .. unless the contract specifically references that rates may go down etc.

So the EU are forcing the rate change but people can still cancel their contract with Three because of that? That seems harsh to the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I contacted them first thing Monday after I received the text. They said I cannot cancel my contract as it is for a decrease in rates, not an increase

SteM wrote: »
    So the EU are forcing the rate change but people can still cancel their contract with Three because of that? That seems harsh to the supplier.

Erm I didn't say that - that post came in after I posted , not sure why different order now . And I was talking in general terms - all contracts have to accommodate legislation .. otherwise people could be signing contracts for les than min wage, more than max hours etc. I was only raising a query on the contract change being to "lower value" element

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

Erm I didn't say that...

Erm, it's what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Where's the bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Where's the bargain?

23.7c/min? Not here for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

From the Three Forum ,this change doesnt allow you to cancel contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

billbond4 wrote: »
    From the Three Forum ,this change doesnt allow you to cancel contract

I wonder what an independent legal expert would say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I wonder what an independent legal expert would say?

How about you pay one of them their entirely reasonable professional fee to find out?

Or you could just pay the monthly bills you signed up for while taking advantage of the lower call rates that have been changed in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Vic_08 wrote: »
    How about you pay one of them their entirely reasonable professional fee to find out?

Or you could just pay the monthly bills you signed up for while taking advantage of the lower call rates that have been changed in your favour.

This isn’t really the point though, if it’s a contract change(either way) there is meant to be an out for the consumer,

I fail to see how three can make this change and then say ‘nope no cancel for you’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I don’t see how it merits a break in contract when it benefits them.

Let’s call a spade a spade, the OP is looking for a free (or close to it) phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

They seem to have sent that text out to everyone.

The changes if you go outside your bundle or if you have no bundle are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

https://twitter.com/ThreeCare/status/1116615434453708800

Cheers guys! @robflan107 thanks for getting in touch 😊 We are not offering customers a right to exit their contract on the basis of these positive changes which are exclusively to benefit our customers and are as a result of EU regulation.

GBX wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ThreeCare/status/1116615434453708800

Cheers guys! @robflan107 thanks for getting in touch �� We are not offering customers a right to exit their contract on the basis of these positive changes which are exclusively to benefit our customers and are as a result of EU regulation.

hmm... rights aren't "offered", you either have the right under contract & contract law, or you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/internet/contracts/

"When a service provider changes your contract
    Your service provider may wish to change the terms and conditions of its service, including changes to the prices it charges.

Service providers are required to notify you of any changes to the contract (a contract covers both price plan and terms and conditions). They must do so by giving 30 days’ notice and advising you of the option to withdraw from contract without penalty."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don’t think it matters if its of benefit or not in this case. That it is a result of an EU Regulation is what allows them to do this, from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

a change of the terms of your contract entitles you to port out within the 30 day's notice period.

call charges are subject to change during your term AFAIK

change terms would be related to base price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don’t think it matters if its of benefit or not in this case. That it is a result of an EU Regulation is what allows them to do this, from what I remember.

This. I'm pretty sure they're allowed to include regulatory changes. It'd be in their contract, which everyone accepts when taking up the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Got a text this evening from three re contract changes. Seems probably favourable so unlikely to be able to break contact due to it?

CONTRACT CHANGE: From 1 January 2020 your EU data roaming allowance is increasing from 11GB to 14GB and your out of bundle rate will decrease from 0.55c to 0.43c per MB (inc. VAT). All You Can Eat Data remains for use in ROI. Both changes are in line with EU roaming regulation. For more information about these changes, see 3.ie/FUP3. From Three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

I get similar texts when I go abroad and I've questioned them with 3 before, I don't think they charge 0.55c per MB. I think it's probably more like €0.55 I.e 55 cents or even more.

I've raised with them but they just the text must be wrong so be careful!

webpal wrote: »
    I get similar texts when I go abroad and I've questioned them with 3 before, I don't think they charge 0.55c per MB. I think it's probably more like €0.55 I.e 55 cents or even more.

I've raised with them but they just the text must be wrong so be careful!

It's definitely 0.55c per MB if you're travelling in the EU.

It's definitely 0.55c per MB if you're travelling in the EU.

Seems a bit odd that if you exceed your allowance abroad you're only charged that but the add on of 500MB is 4.99 which works out as double the price.

Exceed your allowance at home and it's 200 times the price at €1 MB :eek:

webpal wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd that if you exceed your allowance abroad you're only charged that but the add on of 500MB is 4.99 which works out as double the price.

Exceed your allowance at home and it's 200 times the price at €1 MB :eek:

Where are you getting that figure from? It's also 0.55c per MB in Ireland. https://www.three.ie/pdf/20181031_Price_Guide.pdf

Must be an increase from 1 Jan, says it here

https://www.three.ie/pdf/consumer_prepay_priceguide_010120.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Within those price guides it says it's 1.01 euro per MB for out of bundle data (under the heading "Prepay Plans").

The 0.55c per MB rate (0.43c from January 2020) is the surcharge for going over the roaming allowance.

There's no price regulation of at-home pricing, it's only the roaming price that's regulated.
    From Jan 2020...
    Prepay Plans.

Charges for calls and messages.

Prepay
    Voice Calls ROI & EU 38c*
    Voicemail ROI & EU 15c
    Video Calls ROI & EU 35.58c
    Text message ROI & EU 15c
    MMS ROI & EU 24.60c
    Data ROI €1.01 per MB
    Data EU 0.43c per MB

All prices include VAT. For terms and conditions, see footnotes.

*All chargeable calls to Irish and EU landlines & mobiles from ROI or while roaming in the EU are subject to a call set up fee of 9.15c. Rates shown are billed per minute.

Advertisement