Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

• 24-03-2018 10:16pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Any examples of notable Irish people who are more popular or acclaimed outside of Ireland than here? One prime example would be Enya, she has a big following on the Continent, Germany , Italy etc yet here shes largely known as that strange lady who lives alone in a castle and makes celtic new age-y music (famously mocked in the film Intermission)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ambrosio O'Higgins
    Robert Ross
    William Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jimeoin.

He's massive in Australia, yet relatively unknown here.

Google him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Jimeoin.

Google him.

I remember he was on the very first episode of the Panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Forty coats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

There's a guy from Co Clare called Gari Deegan he's doing very well in Dubai.

I think he's a presenter over there and was on some talent show here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Johny Logan. Is a legend to our continental cousins playing sold out gigs all over and obviously the Eurovision. Here he just won the Eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jimeoin.

Google him.

That’s more due to the fact he emigrated and lives there, comes back up for the summer and the Edinburgh Fringe. I saw him on Soccer AM a few years back and wondered where he went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tommy Smyth - sports commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gareth Steenson, ulsterman playing at out half for Exeter Chiefs, definitely good enough to play for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Primordial. They're pretty big elsewhere, but are largely unknown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Shamrocks O' Toole

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

Colin Farrell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Eoin Morgan the turncoat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Those bands that play in Finland.

I posted this story from the BBC somewhere on After Hours when I read it last year. Still a fascinating woman, whom I have never heard of outside this article (although I heard of Shostakovitch's The Gadfly years ago):

The Irish novel that secuded the USSR
    One of the most popular English-language novels of the 20th Century is almost unknown in the English-speaking world – a global phenomenon in translation, now neglected in its original form. The Gadfly, by Irish writer Ethel Voynich, was a sensation on the other side of the Iron Curtain – it sold over 5 million copies in 107 editions in the 22 languages spoken in the Soviet Union. The book inspired seven musical adaptations, including an opera by Prokofiev, five theatre adaptations, including an ‘official’ version by George Bernard Shaw, and five film adaptations, one of which featured a famous score by Shostakovich.

Also, Peter Lacy (1678-1751) from Limerick was a beyond exceptional Russian general in the 18th-century (and his son became a famous Austrian field marshal). With the craven anglocentricity of so many backward Irish-born people we never hear of such people and their contribution to the world.

Peter Lacy, ‘the Prince Eugene of Muscovy'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Arghus wrote: »
    Primordial. They're pretty big elsewhere, but are largely unknown here.

I was going to say God is an Astronaut, exact same reason

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Stano aka John Stanley. The Irish Eno. Cult-ish figure in places like Germany, barely known here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bray's own Fergal Devitt is a huge star in the USA,UK and Japan. He's better known as WWE wrestler Finn Balor and formerly as Prince Devitt. A good looking, talented, popular and humble chap and in great nick too.

tenor.gif?itemid=9470313

tenor.gif?itemid=9576956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Enya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Ed Byrne (comedian) seems to be more famous in the UK than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Boy George

I think he's a horrible person and I can never understand what the Brits see in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Mike Craughwell, he makes Swords, Giant Big Ones, YouTube Star, has his own TV Show on Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Graham Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

AllForIt wrote: »
    Boy George

I think he's a horrible person and I can never understand what the Brits see in him.

He was born in London. Same MacGowan Greater London (Kent).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

AllForIt wrote: »
    Boy George

Irish parents but he was born and raised in London.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Grayditch wrote: »
    Graham Norton.

I'd say it's 50/50 or close. Probably slightly more famous in Britain but it's not like he's a complete unknown here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Patww79 wrote: »
    He also did a Wogan and completely turned into a Briton after he went there. He's about as Irish as Ronaldo now.

He was born and raised here. Both his parents are Irish. He spends most of his free time here, has a home in West Cork and is well known to partake in local events, etc. He holds an Irish passport.

What gives you the right to denounce his Irishness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Jedward

Advertisement