Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

• 29-11-2016 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

The government are set to bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

A slab of 24 cans will have a minimum price of €48 and a bottle of spirits will be a minimum of €28.

Ultimate nanny state bolloxogy and pandering again to the vitners association.

I'm on touch site, so link to follow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1124/834033-alcohol-research-rcsi/

(Misspelling in the headline ... no surprises coming from that North Korean unionised crap rag anyway.)

This is absolute nonsense in my opinion. Even the cheapest of beers (shop own brand) will have to be sold at €2 per can (1 Euro per unit of alcohol). Naggins will be a minimum of €8, 70cl bottles will be €28, cans of beer €2 and a whopping €40 for a litre of spirits.

We are heading on a slippery slope towards a fascist Nazi-style dictatorship. Ireland is a First World country, I believe in capitalism. If someone over the legal drinking age wants to buy a can of beer at 50 cents and a shop is offering the cans at such a price, then why should a Hitler-style government stop them?

Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing? 558 votes

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.
    6%
    onedmcGileadififthNonoperationalPeadar06Fraggle00coolbeansBronsonTBMuppet Manbrowne_rob5KingFling[Deleted User]pat kKaiserLu_ptashek_bren_mcManionNolarsThe Phantom Jipperdybbuk 34 votes
    I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    93%
    VictorTom DunneCabaalembraer170SteMOfflerCrocGodDampsquidcarlospodge3ozmogriffdaddyDeagoljimmycrackcormmobbydavehey79charlie_saysscout353Exodus 1811highdefbbbbb 524 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I doubt the vitners are celebrating. Look what tobacco price hikes have done for smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brings the whole water charge thing into light.

Just because a very small few can't handle their drink shouldn't mean it ruins it for the rest of us.

Up north we go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Doomed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 london bus 200

LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

^^^^^^^ What this guy said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,

Nail on the head mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Go home to London, bus, you're drunk. (On cheap booze).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's speaking fluent 24 cans there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think the guy is talking about refugees. 5 gazillion threads and he gets the one that isn't about muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

What ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

dfeo wrote: »
    What ??

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Alcohol in Ireland is one of the most expensive in the EU, making it more expensive will only make the problem worse if you compare the lack of drink problems in countries where drink is a fraction of the cost of here.

• Alcohol in Ireland is one of the most expensive in the EU, making it more expensive will only make the problem worse if you compare the lack of drink problems in countries where drink is a fraction of the cost of here.

The cost wont go up in the Dáil bar me thinks somehow :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The poll is flawed as it doesn't cover enough options. As a nation we clearly do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and how we consume it. Not all of us obviously, but there is a significant portion of the population who do. However I completely refute the suggestion that minimum alcohol pricing is how this issue should be dealt with. Better education regarding alcohol and longer opening hours for pubs so people aren't binge drinking at the end of the night and then all spilling out onto the street at the same time as all the other binge drinkers. The same goes for off licences, there's no logical reason why it should be illegal to purchase alcohol for home consumption while the pubs are still serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Zaph wrote: »
    The poll is flawed as it doesn't cover enough options. As a nation we clearly do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and how we consume it. Not all of us obviously, but there is a significant portion of the population who do. However I completely refute the suggestion that minimum alcohol pricing is how this issue should be dealt with. Better education regarding alcohol and longer opening hours for pubs so people aren't binge drinking at the end of the night and then all spilling out onto the street at the same time as all the other binge drinkers. The same goes for off licences, there's no logical reason why it should be illegal to purchase alcohol for home consumption while the pubs are still serving.

It was just a hastily-made poll. Feel free to edit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

dfeo wrote: »
    The government are set to bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

A slab of 24 cans will have a minimum price of €48 and a bottle of spirits will be a minimum of €28.

Ultimate nanny state bolloxogy and pandering again to the vitners association.

I'm on touch site, so link to follow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1124/834033-alcohol-research-rcsi/

(Misspelling in the headline ... no surprises coming from that North Korean unionised crap rag anyway.)

This is absolute nonsense in my opinion. Even the cheapest of beers (shop own brand) will have to be sold at €2 per can (1 Euro per unit of alcohol). Naggins will be a minimum of €8, 70cl bottles will be €28, cans of beer €2 and a whopping €40 for a litre of spirits.

We are heading on a slippery slope towards a fascist Nazi-style dictatorship. Ireland is a First World country, I believe in capitalism. If someone over the legal drinking age wants to buy a can of beer at 50 cents and a shop is offering the cans at such a price, then why should a Hitler-style government stop them?

Godwining your own thread, well done.

I was more or less with you until that moronic hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Of course this is all about the vintners. We really don't have a problem with people drinking at home, the messiness is all about leaving the pubs and clubs. What really annoys me is the tax on wine, I mean let the middle classes have their minor vices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

,THEM ABOUT NOHTING KNOW WE AND CITIXENS OF BUNCH A HAVE JUST CANT WE ,FUNTIONS WORLD ENTIRE TEH WAY THE ITS ,WRONG ,COMPLETELY GOT THIS GOT HAVE HAVE I AND ANDU WAY OTHER YHE IT A LOK ,SAY AND AGREE LETS
    I've looked at it the other way around and yes it's beginning to make a little more sense now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Although there is certainly a problem with a portion of the population and their ability to control their drinking habits, this is a self-serving exercise and will benefit nobody but vintners. I foresee a repeat of people flocking up North for cheaper alcohol for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Person working 40 hours a week on minimum wage fancies a Can of beer €2

TD doing feck all earning 90k plus, fancies a beer €2 (Or gets it free in the dail bar)

Minimum pricing is a terrible idea. Oh dear god lets think of the children merchants thats all this government and hangers on are.

Oh and btw im a fully qualified barman who ended up out of a job not just because of cheap cans but...........................

Greedy vintners/brewers who increased the price of a pint from what was avge €3 when the euro came in to now costing a fiver and maybe more.

Smoking ban didnt help either and that was pushed through same as this will be.

If anyone thinks this will get people back into pubs or even save one life then sadly they are deluded. Its another stage in the FG/FF nanny state agenda.

Nothing more nothing less :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Sariah Bitter Trend

It seems in that article that it worked well in Canada, but that's a very different culture and not somewhere where it's so easy (most of the country) to hop over the border and stock up.

There's already a healthy black market in alcohol too. Business will be booming there. I wouldn't often buy a litre of spirits but I will in my hole be paying forty quid for it, usually not worth the bother sourcing it elsewhere but it will be now.

And for the really serious problem drinkers I doubt this'll be a case of "oh I suppose I'll drink less then' so much as 'oh I suppose I'll feed myself/my children less then, step up the ol crime a bit, and then it'll all be fine'.

Ridiculously biased article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

THAT SLAB JUST GOT TEN QUID PRICIER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I haven't heard anything about this since the beginning of the year when the EU buried similar plans by Scotland. A quick Google showed that there hasn't been any developments since then.
    I envisage this turning out like the majority of bills, it will be a watered down version of what was originally proposed with plenty of loopholes.

Varadeker (when Minister for Health) proposed to ban alcohol advertising in sport. He was quickly met by brewers and the likes of the GAA and told to forget about it as it was too lucrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Problem drinkers will still drink just as much but they will be experimenting with home brewed shoite and there will be many mass poisonings from home-brew spirits like there is on other third world dictatorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Problem drinkers will still drink just as much but they will be experimenting with home brewed shoite and there will be many mass poisonings from home-brew spirits like there is on other third world dictatorships.

On the point of homebrew gotta tell this one.

Many years back (over 30) i was staying with my grandparents when late one evening a loud bang came from the kitchen.

Turns out my granddad decided to try making his own stout and sourced the yeast hops malt etc

All a great idea until he decided to chuck the lot into plastic lemonade bottles and seal the bloody things down tight. :eek:

A very fond memory especially seeing my grandmother going bat **** crazy at him.

foggy_lad wrote: »

That's going to be hilarious tbh. I can already see people forcing down a concoction that a Trabant would struggle with, because it'll be too expensive to start again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's going to be hilarious tbh. I can already see people forcing down a concoction that a Trabant would struggle with, because it'll be too expensive to start again :D
    The biggest problem will be greedy people much like the Vintners selling this moonshine and hooch to people who they know will drink it from a smelly welly but they will be long gone when the hospitals start to fill with the casualties.

Vradkar the prick has got this 150% wrong but he's too ignorant and pig-headed to wind his neck in and let it go!

Shouldn't really expect more from a minister who used his homosexuality to get himself some sympathy when he was going down the drain as minister for health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Sariah Bitter Trend

Is my reading comprehension gone or something, if 45℅ of the heaviest drinkers are buying the cheapest alcohol regardless of income, does that not mean that for the majority of the heaviest drinkers price isn't a factor?

It says this'll affect 14℅ of drinkers, presumably the 14℅ on the lowest income ffs.

I'm all for doing something to tackle the damage alcohol does but any ideas that don't have the vintners' interests written all over them don't seem to get far.

This isn't like the smoking ban, where a substance with no earthly benefit which many (even most) users wanted to quit was made more inconvenient to indulge in and easier to stay away from. It's making a substance which is fine in moderation and an important part of the social fabric of adult society more difficult for the poorer members of society to partake in. And a big blow to small businesses.

Is my reading comprehension gone or something, if 45℅ of the heaviest drinkers are buying the cheapest alcohol regardless of income, does that not mean that for the majority of the heaviest drinkers price isn't a factor?

“If you can't change it, tax it”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A can will still be almost three times cheaper than a pint in Dublin city

Advertisement