Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

The castle up close (about 10 years ago)

castle800wide4dt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

:):):) Congrats!

That's the intersection I was talking about. (Or writing about.)

But there's actually a village of Lisselton north of the Intersection of Lisselton. :eek:

lisselton4en.jpg

Here's the entire map - it's a good one (it's pdf)

http://www.killarney250.com/Kerry%20Map.pdf

Knockanore is an official mountain now? :D What's that blue symbol beside Knockanore? Something to do with the radio transmitter from long ago?
    I think the symbol besdide Knockanore is shaped like the sun's rays. There is some festival held there during the soltice.

A festival? On Knockanore? I didn't know that. You learn something every day.

How about the hill (or "mountain" ;) ) just to the east of Knockanore ... does that have a name or is it part of Knockanore?

When I was a kid my mother would sometimes talk about "the Healys on the hill." I had no idea who she was talking about, and then one summer we went to visit "the Healys on the hill." They lived on the hill just to the east of Knockanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

The place seems (from a passing visit) to be a low lying wind swept provincial funeral home and alluminum windows type town whose golden era has passed.

• Advertisement

vector wrote:
    The place seems (from a passing visit) to be a low lying wind swept provincial funeral home and alluminum windows type town whose golden era has passed.

c034.gifa049.gif

c033.gif

vector wrote:
    VECTOR,
    you have to pay a return visit sometime and see it with new eyes.
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Some pics I took in Ballyb this year when I managed to get into the caves. I thought they may inrterest some of you other bunionphiles. http://community.webshots.com/album/472945747NdwXVq/0

A90Six wrote:
    Some pics I took in Ballyb this year when I managed to get into the caves. I thought they may inrterest some of you other bunionphiles. http://community.webshots.com/album/472945747NdwXVq/0

I just turned back the clock, heading for the bed and saw the new listing on the Ballybunion Forum.

A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very very much for such wonderful photos. Especially appreciate the interior of cave views.
    It must have been fascinating to see all that color in person.
    Needless to say after spending some time looking at all your photos I will return to them again tomorrow and let it all sink in.
    I wish you every good luck with the photography.
    Thank you .

:D:D:D:D

snowscorpion: get back here , even places I have not seen!!!!

A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very very much for such wonderful photos. Especially appreciate the interior of cave views.
    It must have been facinating to see all that color in person.

:o Thank you, glad you liked them. The cave colours are not all that obvious to the naked eye. The shots are mostly 16 or 20 sec exposures as it's quite dark in there as you can imagine, and when you look around with a torch it just doesn't do it justice. I was just trying to show the texture and scale, the colours were an added bonus. I would have loved to have shot the Nine Daughters' Hole from below - that would be something. Maybe next year if the tides allow. :)

• Advertisement

That's the intersection I was talking about. (Or writing about.)

But there's actually a village of Lisselton north of the Intersection of Lisselton. :eek:

Five or six houses, a ruined church and a graveyard! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Those pictures are superb. Thanks for showing them. I don't know where some of those places are but I intend to go looking next time I'm there.

A90Six wrote:

yeleek.gif

And I thought the black and orange boards were a surprise.

A90Six, welcome to the thread. God Almighty, you sure know how to make an entrance!

Let me go look at those pics closer. I'll be back in a little while.

My first thought: my favorites are the two from the top of Knockanore. I'll have to look at them in the Windows Picture Viewer and make them even bigger to see if I can find the Francis Road.

My second thought is 'look at the angles!' I've never seen pictures of the beach from those angles before! a093.gif

And that tide goes out so far you can walk out to the Virgin Rock?! I never knew that.

I have to go look some more. (Back in a while.)

reic: If you want to know where any are taken from just ask.

snow scorpion: The Webshots onsite SlideShow gives quite a large view of the pics. Francis Road? Never heard of it. If you can give me a few more clues I'll be able to tell you if it's in there. One of my 3rd great grandmothers was a Francis from Lahesrough.

By the time I got to the Nuns' Strand the tide was already on the turn. I rushed down to touch the Virgin Rock - just to say that I did it. How sad is that!

A90Six wrote:
    snow scorpion: The Webshots onsite SlideShow gives quite a large view of the pics. Francis Road? Never heard of it. If you can give me a few more clues I'll be able to tell you if it's in there. One of my 3rd great grandmothers was a Francis from Lahesrough.

You're related to the Francises? well, let me show you something of your past.

The Francis Road is 2 miles east of Ballybunion. SandhillRoad has undoubtedly walked, biked, and driven past it more times than he can count. :p reic is in cork so I wouldn't guess how much time he/she spends on the Listowel Road.

I'll have a good look today at your Knockanore pictures again to see if I can recognize the road or some of the houses.

slabelled7pr.jpg

You're related to the Francises? well, let me show you something of your past.

The Francis Road is 2 miles east of Ballybunion. SandhillRoad has undoubtedly walked, biked, and driven past it more times than he can count. :p reic is in cork so I wouldn't guess how much time he/she spends on the Listowel Road.

I'll have a good look today at your Knockanore pictures again to see if I can recognize the road or some of the houses.

That'll be this bit then!francisroad24sc.jpg

c045.gif

That's it!

A90, I can't thank you enough for that picture.

When I started this thread (Did I mention this is the longest Ballybunion thread on the entire intrawebnet.com/www?) I was hoping a picture like this would show up sooner or later.

I'm going to make wallpaper for my desktop out of this.

francisroadresized1gl.jpg

One of the pictures that pops up in my mind the most often (and I mean for the last 20 years) is the view from the switch (or the cross) looking up the Francis Road from the Listowel Road. Someday that picture will be in this thread. *Cue the melodramatic music* This I solemnly vow.

Thanks again, A90. I'll be staring at the pic for days. :)

SS

The empty field that you spoke of, where the new road is next to Kilcooley's, was owned by Dan Shanahan. He also owned the butcher shop near to Hillard's. Dan had two or three fields in that area where he kept horses that were rented out by the hour to tourists in the Summer. Behind that field was a yard with stables and a big corrugated-iron barn. Access to the yard was gained by walking down the road between Kilcooley's and Mikey Joe's.

I worked for Dan for a while one Summer as a guide, taking tourists in groups along the lanes then out on to the Sandhill Road, down passed Killehenny graveyard and on to the Cashen. The horses would have a bit of a canter up and down the strand and then we would head back.

The horses knew the way and were always more eager to return to the stables than they were to go to the Cashen. One time when it was quiet three or four of us guides went for a ride out on our own. On the way back, we had a bit of a race. I let the horse I was on have its head and let it gallop back alongside the fence by the golf course. Back then the path on that side was just a sandy grass verge with lots of dips and hollows. As the horse flew I sat hunkered down occasionally getting whipped by his mane.

It was somewhere during this blinking phase, and hitting one of the dips, that I noticed that the saddle was slipping slowly to the left. I hauled back on the reins with all my 14 year old strength, but it had no effect. The further left I went, the faster the saddle slipped. I was now riding with my left leg under the horse and my right clinging with all its might to the top. I couldn't throw myself off as the wire-grill fence was about two feet away. I was sure that if I wasn't killed by the horses hooves, I would have my skull split by the concrete fence posts. Still clinging with my right leg, I grabbed the left side of the reins with both hands and pulled so hard the horse's mouth was next to my head. He was snorting into my face, but still kept going.

After what seemed like an eternity he began to slow and, when almost at a stop, I fell off - with a face full of horse snot. The horse stood there chomping at the grass while all the images of my short life that had flashed before my eyes refiled themselves. The hoots and jeers from my fellow racers confirmed that, unlike me, they had found my near-death experience quite hilarious.

More empty field memories to follow....

The empty field that you spoke of, where the new road is next to Kilcooley's

Aha!! I knew it! Well, I didn't know, but I suspected. I stared at alfa's photo for I don't know how long with no memory of that road. A90, where does that road go?

I liked your horse story. It made me laugh out loud. What did your friends say when you asked them, "How come you didn't come help me?"

• Advertisement

Aha!! I knew it! Well, I didn't know, but I suspected. I stared at alfa's photo for I don't know how long with no memory of that road. A90, where does that road go?

The road goes south for about two hundred yards and then east until it comes out in the Sandhill Road near to what was once the Church Of Ireland Church that is now the Library. The road at that end appears older than the rest and I can only assume that it was once an entrance to the old Ballybunion Greyhound Track or it's car park.

There are probably some fifty or sixty houses in the road now and more are being built every year. The road is used during the busy times as a sort of bypass. It started life as New Road, then some called it Lartigue Road. It was officially named Kitt Aherne Road after a local politician three or four years ago, but I think all three names are still used and understood by the postman.

Dan would, on occasion, break in horses for himself or others. So, that summer while I was working for him I became involved in the breaking in of one such horse.

The horse had been part-broken and it was now time to put some "live"-deadweight in the saddle. I was somehow volunteered for the task of being the dummy in the saddle with many assurances that the horse was quiet and no problem at all, at all.

I sat in the saddle, which had an extremely high back and pommel to support the rider as there were no stirrups, because they might frighten the horse, and the girth strap was made of some twenty-odd pieces of soft twine that would not rub or irritate the horse.

The horse was bridled, but instead of reins there was a long length of rope attached to each side, which were held by a couple of the other lads. This would enable them to hold the horse down should he start to buck and would also allow them to slow the horse should he start to run, and would allow me time to jump clear.

We walked around the field two or three times before Dan came to the gate and called one of the lads on the rope over to him. Again I was given assurances that the horse was docile and one lad at the front would be plenty to keep the beast in check should he start to act up.

As you've probably guessed, the assurances were false. The horse suddenly reared up and the guy at the front might as well have been a knot in the rope he was holding for all the use he was. I, on the other hand, became quite exhilerated and quite fancied the prospect of sitting in this extremely secure saddle and taming this bucking bronco. I gripped the pommel with one hand ant threw the other arm behind my head as I'd seen them doing in the movies.

This feeling of euphoria lasted all of three seconds. The horse rose up to full height at the front and then started to descend. I was expecting the rear end to rise up, but thought that the front hooves would hit the ground first.

This didn't happen.

While he was still only halfway down at the front, the back shot into the air. I shot several feet further into the air and had a marvellous view of Ballyb before crashing to the ground on my right side.

I landed hard, but felt no pain. My right arm was behind me, so I found it odd that my face was resting on my right hand. I tried to get up and that's when the pain came. I blacked out.

I came to, to find Dan and the lads getting me to my feet. Dan was doing his best to encourage me to get back up on the horse. I vomitted on his wellies, and he then decided that perhaps I should go home and come back tomorrow. I preferred the second option and walked off back to Ahafona cradling my right arm.

Needless to say I didn't go back the following day. I didn't go out of the house for a couple of days, and when I eventually did venture out, I had to spend five minutes getting my right hand into my jacket pocket to keep it supprted.

I remember walking around town without a problem unless someone knocked into me. On my second day out I got into the Bumper Cars at Duggan's. After the first "bump", I had to pull over to the side and get out as it nearly killed me.

My mother arrived in Ireland five days after my flying lesson and took me straight to Tralee Hospital. I had broken my humerus and spent the next eight weeks in plaster.

At the time, the words "compensation" and "lawsuit" were not in the Irish lexicon. Neither was the contracted form of "sick" and "pay". So I spent a pretty miserable time bumming around town for the rest of the summer.

My mother helped to console me by continually telling everyone she met that she couldn't work out who was the bigger ass, me or the donkey that threw me into the air. My insistence that it was a horse and not a donkey just made her audience laugh more. "Sympathy" was another word absent from the Irish dictionary at that time.

More empty field memories to follow...

Hi A90Six.
    We used to get our meat at Dan's.
    My drinking hang out was either Michael G. Clancy's, Paddy Dowlings , Mary Hanlon's( Paddy Dwyers) or Sean J Ds.
    Do you know "BUBBLES" .
    Great photo of Knockanore, what a view.! Sad to say I have not been up there,but is a must on my next visit to Ballybunion.
    Did they ever find out who stole Clinton's bronze ball?
    I saw on eBay that a local from Ballyb had for sale a golf ball that Pres. Clinton lost on the links. Starting bid was $5000.00.Did not keep tabs on it so don't know if it sold or not.
    Am enjoying your empty field memories.

SR

The drinking haunts you mention mean nothing to me other than Sean JD's. I worked there as well for a short while one summer - collecting glasses. As far as bars go, the furthest west I travelled was The Shortis Bar (The Bunker), coming back The Railway Bar, JD's, (more recently) Blake's - which was Tony's 19th, The Badger Kelly's, which was Stevie's and what is was before that I can't remember, Liston's, The one on the next corner that I can't remember the name of, Harty-Enright's, Harty-Costelloe's, Mikey Joe's, Kilcooley's and the other new addition, Holly's.

I know Bubbles Hillard to see, but I don't think she knows me although she does know my family. I can't remember her brother's name, but he used to paint the posters for the upcoming films at the Ballybunion Cinema. I remember when they had the little shop near Dan Shanahan's.

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in the possible whereabouts of Clinton's wayward balls. I did smile though when I learned that just before his visit the town's officials removed the sign from above "Monica's", the hairdressers, in case it embarrassed him.

Back in the seventies, and possibly before that, Ballybunion was host to all the big names in the Irish music circuit. Even with ballrooms such as Horan's, The Central and Kiely's, there was still a need for more venues, and so, occasionally they would set up a huge marquis in the empty field - where the Circus would also set up if it ever came to town. I remember bands playing Ballyb such as "Big Tom & The Mainliners", "Red Hurley", "Philomena Begley", "The Horslips" and even "Thin Lizzy". I saw "Thin Lizzy" play at the Central and "The Horslips" play in the big marquis in the empty field.

It was not long after the release of their anthemic single, "Dearg Doom". It was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Raunchy, stomping rock tunes played with electric violins, flutes, mandolins and concertinas. Who'd have thought suck old, played out instruments could sound so good.

Anyway, it was a year or so later that I was relating the story of the Horslips gig to my younger cousin and three lads we had palled up with over the last few days. My cousin was down from Dublin and the boys were holidaying from Andersonstown in the North. It was just getting dark and we were sitting on the wall of the empty field at the east end.

We were smoking and joking, not paying much attention to what was going on around, when a Garda car pulled up from the Listowel direction. The two Gardai got out and began to ask us what we were up to. What happened next changed my view of the police for a very long tme.

Prior to this I had always seen them as courteous to the elders of my family, and respected them and their authority, after all, they were the good guys. Before we could even answer, one of the cops began to push us back of the wall on which we sat. the wall was only about four feet high at the road side, but dropped an extra foot or so inside the field.

One of the NI Boys shouted, "Run", but the rest of us were already hot-footing it away towards the East End. My cousin, one of the lads and I (the three that had been pushed off the wall) scrambled through the hedge at the end of the field and ran around the two or three derelict, ruined houses that were next to the field.

We came back out on the road somewhere by the Blacksmith's to see the other two lads just ahead of us. They turned right into a little alleyway between the houses opposite "Deenihan's" where they were renting a caravan. We all managed to get inside before the cop car screeched to a halt outside.

I climbed on a water barrell and managed to get on to the roof of one of the caravans. I had no idea where the others were hiding, but was sure we would all be caught. I was lying as still as I could with my heart beating as loud as a drum. I looked up at the Milky Way and tried my best to stop breathing as I was sure the police would hear it.

I heard them coming through the gate and could see the beams from there flashlamps swinging around the air. I wondered how much of a beating I would get when they caught me, and how long I would go to prison for. Worst of all I wondered what my grandmother would say. Although I had done no wrong, I was sure she would side with law & order, everyone knew the police would never lie!.

Back in the days when I still had a niggling belief in God, I thanked Him when I heard one cop say to the other, "Come on, they must have gone through the back." I stayed on the roof for a while just in case they were trying to trick me. After a few minutes I went to the edge and looked over. There was no sign of them. I called out to the other lads in a shouted whisper. Silence! I climbed down and began to look for other hiding places where they may have hidden. I couldn't find them anywhere.

My heart leaped into the back of my throat when a hand slammed down on to my shoulder. It was Brian, one of the Andersonstown lads. he and the others who were now peering from the door of the caravan they had rented were nearly wetting themselves laughing. they had all got into the caravan while I climbed on the roof of another. They thought I had been captured until they saw me through the window creeping around outside.

We sat in the caravan, playing cards, drinking beer and smoking fags for another couple of hours, retelling the story of the chase over and over until both it and we were exhausted. My cousin and I walked back to Ahafona, hiding in gardens or ditches whenever we saw headlights coming. It all ended well as no one was hurt or harmed, but it made me distrust anyone in authority for a long, long time after.

Any more stories will have to be from somewhere else as my empty field anecdotes have now run dry.

Most of the pubs I mentioned were the previous owners of the pub names you mention.I was a generation before you.
    Chris is Bubbles brother, we got our newspapers there at Bubbles store.
    1979 was the last time I spent any length of time in Ballybunion.
    We moved to Ballybunion in 1966 and I came to America in 1972 .I no longer have family there.
    Thanks for the photos and the names of the new roads.It helps to keep in touch.

I liked your horse story. It made me laugh out loud. What did your friends say when you asked them, "How come you didn't come help me?"
    SNOWSCORPION:
    your Forum has passed the 2000 mark !!!!Where is ALFA ????????????
    Drinks all round!
    Hip Hip Hurrah !!

They turned right into a little alleyway between the houses opposite "Deenihan's" where they were renting a caravan.

Deenihan's! There's a name I recognize. There are house across the street from Deenihan's. ermthink.gif That rings a faint bell way in the back of my mind. I can't picture them in my mind, but let me chew on the idea for a few days.

Any more stories will have to be from somewhere else as my empty field anecdotes have now run dry.

I've got a story, A90. And it involves your distant relatives. Last time I was in Ireland, summer 1978, I good stretch of dry weather hit north Kerry and everyone was rushing to get the hay in once it was good and dry.

So one day my uncles draft my brother and me along with the two Hollys from the upper road (well, we called it the upper road. I didn't know it was called the Barra Road until A90 labelled the Knockanore picture the other day.) So the four of us, all in our teens go help the Francises bring their hay in.

To shorten the story a bit, the adults (my uncles, Sean Francis, and a couple other adults - I forget who now) ended up drinking tea, eating cake and bull****ting in the Francis's kitchen while we teenagers, six or seven of us, did the work.

We had the Francis's tractor and trailer and the my uncle's tractor and trailer, and well, boys will be boys so it wasn't long before a competition broke out. In an average load, we could get about 160 bails of hay onto the trailer before we had to take it to the hay shed.

Both teams were trying to break the mythic "200 Bail Barrier." My team consisted of me, Pat Francis, and I think it was Dan Holly:confused: Anyway, Pat was driving the tractor, Dan was heaving the bails of hay onto the the trailer, and I was on the trailer stacking the bails. Now, in all fairness to me, I'm a city boy. All I know about stacking bails of hay was whatever I learned helping my uncles.

So we get a load of about 175 bails and it becomes clear that's all we're gonna get this load - no 200 bails this time. :( So out the gate and up the road we go. Pat Francis driving the tractor at about 3 miles per hour, Dan walking up the road ahead of the tractor to shed, and me sitting on top of the load, my ass about 15 feet off the ground.

I'm sitting on top of the hay, my back to Knockanore / facing the Listowel Road, the tractor crawling along as we hit the very foot of Knockanore. And the load of hay begins swaying. It sways to the left and then to the right and then to the left. Again and again and again. And each time it sways, I can feel it swaying just a little farther each time.

Just then, a yellow car turns up the Francis Road. Now you guys know how Irish farmers drive - 60 mph is a touch on the slow side. So I'm watching the yellow car racing towards us, and by now the swaying is making me nervous. First, there are the dykes on either side of the road: lots of thorns and the occasional bunch of nettles. :eek: And the drainage ditches filled with stagnant water and nasty insects going around the perimeters of each field.

The swaying continues to get worse and then I feel it. The load sways to the left, but instead of coming back to the right, it hesitates. My heart goes into my mouth, and I lean back, spread-eagle. I dig my heels into the bails at my feet and grab the bails behind me with my hands, trying to hold the load together.

Now, the bails were four stone each. Do the math: 175 bails of hay at 56 pounds each is about 4 1/2 tons of hay. And the 165 pound teenager sitting on top of it - in a very awkward postion - trying to hold it all together, watching a speeding car cominright at us and still not slowing down.

There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of me keeping the load together. The load swayed left, hesitated for a moment, and then kept going left.

As I fell, for those 3-4 seconds, I was never more scared of anything in my life. When I knew the bails were going to go, I instinctively sat up straight again, the only thought in my head was if I land in this position, the first thing to hit the ground will be my ass, and if I land flat on my ass fifteen feet up, I could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

I squeezed my eyes shut, gritted my teeth, and waited for the pain.

And landed soft and gentle! :confused:

The bail of hay I was sitting on stayed under me all the way down and broke my fall.

And the yellow car was gone. While my eyes were closed, the car turned in what we called "The Old Road" an unpaved road across from the Francis's land.

I turn around and what do I see? The tractor still going up the road (now a huge gaping wound where the bails used to be. Pat and Dan had no idea they lost almost a third of their load (not to mention losing me!) I had to scream at them twice and then whistle before the tractor stopped and the both of them come around the trailer to see me sitting in the middle of the road surrounded by bails of hay.

They thought the whole thing was very funny. They thought it was a little less funny when we had to pick up 53 bails. The bails in the road were easy to collect, but some bails went over the dyke and into the ditch on the side of the road. Wet hay isn't that funny to a farmer. To a city boy like me, however, it was kind of amusing.

copyoffrancisroadresized8mw.jpg

SNOWSCORPION:
    your Forum has passed the 2000 mark !!!!Where is ALFA ????????????
    Drinks all round!
    Hip Hip Hurrah !!

I saw that! The second thousand views came faster than the first thousand.

Sandhill, you know what this means? We have lurkers! Apparently alot of them.

Come on, you feckers! Post something!! c004.gif

SANDHILL ROAD: Most of the pubs I mentioned were the previous owners of the pub names you mention.I was a generation before you.
    Chris is Bubbles brother, we got our newspapers there at Bubbles store.
    1979 was the last time I spent any length of time in Ballybunion.
    We moved to Ballybunion in 1966 and I came to America in 1972 .I no longer have family there.
    Thanks for the photos and the names of the new roads.It helps to keep in touch.
    I feel a bit better now. I was thinking maybe I was the generation before you! The photos I took are all picture-postcardy - aestheticly pleasing, but not too informative. I'll take some general town shots on my next visit - probably some time next Spring.

You should start a website - "The Hunt for Bill's ball." Visitors could add notes on places searched and possible clues as to the whereabouts. You could link to the site http://www.AdolphsAbsentPlum.com. With a bit of advertising - pay-per-click, it could be a little money earner.

SNOW SCORPION: The swaying continues to get worse and then I feel it. The load sways to the left, but instead of coming back to the right, it hesitates. My heart goes into my mouth, and I lean back, spread-eagle. I dig my heels into the bails at my feet and grab the bails behind me with my hands, trying to hold the load together.
    This made me laugh. I pictured you trying your best to keep it all together - like trying to stop a landslide with a staple.

Don't worry, I still have plenty of stories - just none involving the empty field.

• Advertisement

Did they ever find out who stole Clinton's bronze ball?
    Bill’s ball turns up in bag of oysters

GIVEN the public’s liberal understanding of the word ‘swing’ in relation to Bill Clinton it probably came as little shock to most that his statue’s recently-stolen golf ball turned up in the most unlikely of places – a record drive from its tee in Ballybunion.

The North Kerry mystery of the late summer was put to rest with the discovery of the brass golf ball in a bag of oysters on the shore in Ballylongford on Monday, discovered by local publican and oyster farmer, Michael Finucane.

The ball had been stolen from its plinth under the life-size statue of a golfing Bill Clinton in Ballybunion some weeks ago and until Monday no one seemed to have any idea of its whereabouts.

Mystery still shrouds the identity of the thief however, but it can at least be said that they have a flair for the dramatic - the ball was wrapped in a farewell note that simply read: “Please return Bill’s brass ball to Ballybunion. I have no further use for it. Signed – Ball Breaker!”

Some might say that its discovery immediately prior to the Ballylongford Oyster Festival (at which it is intended to now publicly hand the ball back over to its Ballybunion owners) should lead to some searching questions, but Michael Finucane certainly wasn’t pointing any fingers.

“It looks like it was only a prank. Where else though would you expect to find Bill’s ball except inside a bag full of aphrodisiacs?” he laughed.

“We’re excited and delighted for poor Bill,” Kevin O’Callaghan of the Ballybunion Development Company told The Kerryman. “He will now be reinstated to full and former glory and we look forward to accepting it back from the people of Ballylongford soon,” he added.

Kerryman, Spet 15, 2005

c008.gif

Advertisement