Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caching Equipment

• 05-01-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

What equipment do you use for caching? I'm currently using a combination of my Garmin e-Trex H and my Galaxy Note 2. I download all the caches that I want to find onto the Galaxy for offline use as I don't have the data cable for the Garmin. The Galaxy is also handy for finding nearby caches if I'm out and about and don't have any caches downloaded for that area.
    I am thinking about changing my GPS for something like the Garmin e-Trex 10. Nice and cheap but packed full of great features.

So, what do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Can you not do it all on your phone?

Feck Garmin and all their overpriced crap, big thanks to google maps for putting them in their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Can you not do it all on your phone?

Feck Garmin and all their overpriced crap, big thanks to google maps for putting them in their place.

You can, but there is no replacement for a dedicated gps to be honest. Not to mention the battery drain on the phone by using the phones gps.
    Also, the garmin handheld gps devices are second to non and very cheap! No need for any maps either. You don't navigate by maps when geocaching. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

I use my Iphone
    Garmin Nuvi in the Bus
    Garmin GPSMap 62SC Main Device

I started off using the Iphone and it was fine.
    The Gps units are a bit more accurate and some like the one I use is geared up for Geocaching holds all the cache details etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Lardy wrote: »
    You can, but there is no replacement for a dedicated gps to be honest. Not to mention the battery drain on the phone by using the phones gps.
    Also, the garmin handheld gps devices are second to non and very cheap! No need for any maps either. You don't navigate by maps when geocaching. ;)
    so how does it work? Is it a dot you hone in on?

I really need to read up on it but the size of the wiki page is putting me off.:o

The Gps or App just gets you close, how close depends on the equipment.
    Basically you will see your current location and the location the Cache was logged at.
    You could be within a few feet or a few metres of it.

Then its just a case of looking, some caches will give a hint.

Start off with the easy ones until you get the hang of it, you soon get used to the type hiding places and types of cache

Some can be quite large about the size of a sandwich box or a bit bigger some are a lot smaller, Nano cache oftren magnetic around 5-6mm in diameter 10mm long, these only contain a log book.

Some are right sneaky
    branch of a tree
    A Rock
    A Snail
    Pine cone
    Grass

these are some of the types ive found and can take a bit of finding

The one advantage of the phone app is it is live, so wherever you go you can do a live search for Caches. With a GPS you have to download the caches to it. So if you downloaded caches for Dublin for example and ended up in Belfast chances are you wont have all if any of the caches on your GPS device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was using an etrex10 for a while, grand bit of kit. Someone was very nice any upgraded me to an etrex20. It's more or less identical to the 10 except with maps.

Using your phone on it's own is grand for a while, only problem is the gps function absolutely kills your battery, and of course it isn't as accurate. It should do okay for finding the odd few caches, but if you plan on putting any caches out then a phone will be useless because you won't get a good enough accuracy for decent co-ordinates. The phone app is good for logging on the go though.

Anyone looking for an etrex 10 give me a pm ;)

Yes A dedicated GPS is more accurate but you have to keep it up to date.
    For example if a new Cache gets published or one gets archived, the GPS may not show them
    Thats why I use both.
    Worst case is you can enter the cords shown on the app into the GPS at the time for more accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Just starting and have found a grand total of two caches. So, basically, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about! But, using an iPhone 5 so far and I don't really see what a dedicated GPS will do extra? I have had some past experience (marine) with GPS handhelds so I know a bit about them. But, what is the advantage beyond increased accuracy?

accuracy and battery life are the main advantages for me.
    If you are placing your own caches you really need a GPS as the phone app isnt accurate enough
    GPS are usually also more rugged and can be water proof
    Dropping the iphone on the rocks or in water isnt good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A reliable old Garmin eTrex and the iPhone for me. Being out routing around is as much part of the fun for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

How much would a handheld GPS set you back??

Depends on what you go for but a few examples are

GPSMap 62SC around 250
    garmin etrex 20 around 190
    etrex 10 around 110

A couple of good links
    http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx
    http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Cheers mate, bit out of my price range at the moment, might just use the GPS on the phone and stick to finding some easy caches to start with.

Build on it from there ;)

yes thats the best way to be honest
    You can get on fine with the Phone App

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Cheers mate, bit out of my price range at the moment.

*cough* check me out on Adverts *cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I've been using a samsung galaxy s2 and found it very effective. in the car I can just navigate to the cache site using the phone sat nav and then zone in on the cache. Really don't see the point in buying a garmin for just geo-caching.

Yeah the phone app can do just fine

But you can't use the phone to place caches its not accurate enough

Dedicated gps is more accurate has better battery life but is not real time

Phone app is real time but not as accurate and if you do a lot of caching it kills the battery

I've been using a samsung galaxy s2 and found it very effective. in the car I can just navigate to the cache site using the phone sat nav and then zone in on the cache. Really don't see the point in buying a garmin for just geo-caching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have a Samsung S2 and a Garmin Dakota 10. For the first year I relied solely on the Dakota 10 and it went fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Started using a car sat nav which was very inaccurate. Tend to just use my phone at this stage, either c:geo or the official app. Has always brought me to within about 5-10ft of cache. Battery drain is an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

I just use my iPhone, with Google maps app.

It seems to work fine, I have found 3 caches in Jerusalem so far, going to Tel Aviv tonight and might have a quick look for some while I'm there.

One piece of equipment I now bring is plastic gloves, I tend to get very messy from mud, soil, or having to stick my hand in strange places while looking for the caches!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Garmin foretrex 401. I use a free proggy called gpsbabel to convert them to .gpx and copy them over using the cable. Before I used a yellow eTrex which I still use the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

Garmin foretrex 401. I use a free proggy called gpsbabel to convert them to .gpx and copy them over using the cable. Before I used a yellow eTrex which I still use the odd time.

Hello :)

Newbe to geocaching and delighted to find the forum here in Ireland that has a section for the hobby.

Been looking at the Garmin Foretrex 401 for a little while now for other outdoor activities and have been viewing various Youtube videos on it.

How do you find it in the "real world"? In terms of accuracy how does it compare to the eTrex you own? I know that accuracy is a combination of factors but typically how does it compare? The satnav I use in my vehicle typically reports an accuracy of between 3 and 5 mtrs. Is the eTrex or the Foretrex any different?

The Foretrex appears to be quite an affordable unit and the fact that its wearable I like.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm also interest in the conversion program you have mentioned. Is it intuitive to use or is there a learning curve involved? Does software come with the Foretrex or will gpsbabel communicate with it? Will be using Windows Vista and / or Winows XP professional depending on what computer happens to be available at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

MunsterGeo wrote: »
    Hello :)

Newbe to geocaching and delighted to find the forum here in Ireland that has a section for the hobby.

Been looking at the Garmin Foretrex 401 for a little while now for other outdoor activities and have been viewing various Youtube videos on it.

How do you find it in the "real world"? In terms of accuracy how does it compare to the eTrex you own? I know that accuracy is a combination of factors but typically how does it compare? The satnav I use in my vehicle typically reports an accuracy of between 3 and 5 mtrs. Is the eTrex or the Foretrex any different?

The Foretrex appears to be quite an affordable unit and the fact that its wearable I like.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm also interest in the conversion program you have mentioned. Is it intuitive to use or is there a learning curve involved? Does software come with the Foretrex or will gpsbabel communicate with it? Will be using Windows Vista and / or Winows XP professional depending on what computer happens to be available at the time.

Coverage is generally a fair bit better and it also has WAAS. If it can pick up the WAAS satellite it will say accurate to 3m as well. Lots of these GPS use the same SiRF chip and same antenna so the difference isn't that big anymore as t was in the days when only a select few companies made GPS receivers

The GPSbabel I use is the command line version but there is also graphical so should be easy. Once you convert the files you just horse them into the folder on the Foretrex (It appears as a 4MB usb stick with a few folders in it and also 1 big GPX file of where it's been, waypoints and all that).

It won't replace the car GPS and obviously it wouldn't be as good for caching as a colour screen geocaching friendly GPS but still a useful little gadget

Advertisement