Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nature on your farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Wouldn't expect them all to be there next winter as no wild adults to guide them but the base reality is in 6 months most would have been shot/at and wounded and carcass dumped in a hole in the woods as no market for game birds anymore.

Maybe all is not lost if you live near where migratory ducks return in the Sept. Heard that my grandmother placed wild duck eggs in among the domestic duck eggs to hatch All were raised together until the Autumn when the migrant wild ducks returned to their winter feeding ground. They flew past in noisy flying formation to the nearby river. The young wild ducks in the yard heard them, flew off, and joined them never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Foxes are fierce plenty this year.
    I’m meeting an awful lot of them in my travels

I know it’s a farm thread but I’ve taken more in 3 weeks than I did all of the summer. Missed one the other evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A local farm was sold in the spring the new owner has cleared every ditch and is filling in every gripe. How is this possible under BPS regulations?
    17 fields into a 130 acre desert FN CRIMINAL:mad:

grassroot1 wrote: »
    A local farm was sold in the spring the new owner has cleared every ditch and is filling in every gripe. How is this possible under BPS regulations?

Similar happened last year up in bohernabreena. New land owner bulldozed ditches flat killing everything in its path. Rabbits, foxes badgers etc. feeding for wild birds gone too. Habitats destroyed. For basically land for sheep to graze but it was fine the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Similar happened last year up in bohernabreena. New land owner bulldozed ditches flat killing everything in its path. Rabbits, foxes badgers etc. feeding for wild birds gone too. Habitats destroyed. For basically land for sheep to graze but it was fine the way it was.
    I think it's a generation thing.
    The older people see waste. The younger generation see blackberries and goldfinches.

I see it happening locally too and the person doing it nearly lost their life when the Tellus survey plane flew over. They were asking me was it a Google earth plane..
    I explained what it was and also informed them about the EU land monitoring satellite that goes over every day.

Some are getting such a low sfp they just don't care. There's the leaving your own stamp on this world and bringing a bit of pride to that individual before they shuffle off, when someone buys a new property, element too.

• Advertisement

Spud growers don't like small fields.
    They don't look well on drone footage on social media.

If it's the same farm I'm thinking about it was one hell of a grass growing farm.
    It was more suited to grass than tillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Maybe all is not lost if you live near where migratory ducks return in the Sept. Heard that my grandmother placed wild duck eggs in among the domestic duck eggs to hatch All were raised together until the Autumn when the migrant wild ducks returned to their winter feeding ground. They flew past in noisy flying formation to the nearby river. The young wild ducks in the yard heard them, flew off, and joined them never to be seen again.

“Breeding comes out in the eye of a cat” is a saying here.
    You can’t beat nature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I know it’s a farm thread but I’ve taken more in 3 weeks than I did all of the summer. Missed one the other evening

Yeah all around us is riddled with foxes and healthy looking ones at that.
    Never seen them as plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Tis ok, Origin Green says Irish agriculture is sustainable.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Tis ok, Origin Green says Irish agriculture is sustainable.......

He bought the land, he can do what he wants, he is not anserable to me but it breaks my heart to look at fields we played in as kids gone forever. All for a miserable couple of perches of extra land.
    If one more gimp tells me we as farmers are custodians of the land I will swing for them.
    It must be possible to farm in a way that wildlife,livestock and farm families can co-exist.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the clip on big week on the farm this year with the nature/environmental expert walking on the farm.

Background on the farm. It's over a thousand acres with big fields with tillage, spuds and 100 acres of grass. If I remember correctly.

Anyways Ella was asking the expert what he thought of the farm.
    He wasn't terribly impressed and showed it and just said it's a typical large tillage farm in Ireland with more needing to be done. The host farmer was beside him didn't know where to look.

Where some see pride in large fields and monocultures, others see devastation and disgust.

Spear thistles...

If anyone is looking for a few seeds..Send me on a pm.

20190911-162537.jpg

Have these in a field where they're not interfering with the productivity of said field.
    There's been about 15 - 20 goldfinches feeding on these since they went to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Do any farmers on here ever come across the Irish lizard, either on their land or on bogs you work etc? And not to be confused with newts which typically are to be found in and around ponds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Do any farmers on here ever come across the Irish lizard, either on their land or on bogs you work etc? And not to be confused with newts which typically are to be found in and around ponds.

Spotted one this year in the polytunnel. Lying up sunning himself one of the nice days we got during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Place is full of foxes, badgers, hares and goats around here. Not a goes by that you wouldn't encounter a few of them. The terrain around here probably suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes but a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Danzy wrote: »
    Yes but a long time ago

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Havent seen a lizard or a newt in 20 years, I saw a frog or toad the other day on the Bray Cliff Walk and that was the first in many years aswell. Ive noticed a lot of dead hedgehogs on the road this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have plenty of foxes, hare, buzzards, a pair of swans and signets on the lake as well as wild duck, water hens, comorants and a pair of grey herons. We have a family of stoats and occasionally I see the odd pine martin and mink. Rabbits disappeared here a few years ago probably due to the rhd virus but I'm seeing a few around near the headland/hedges. I haven't seen any hedgehogs or badgers around here in years. We have plenty of bats and the odd barn owl. Other than that there are lots of different types of dickie birds living in and around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Base price wrote: »
    We have plenty of foxes, hare, buzzards, a pair of swans and signets on the lake as well as wild duck, water hens, comorants and a pair of grey herons. We have a family of stoats and occasionally I see the odd pine martin and mink. Rabbits disappeared here a few years ago probably due to the rhd virus but I'm seeing a few around near the headland/hedges. I haven't seen any hedgehogs or badgers around here in years. We have plenty of bats and the odd barn owl. Other than that there are lots of different types of dickie birds living in and around the yard.

I have fecking bats in the garage - anyone any ideas on how to convince them to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have fecking bats in the garage - anyone any ideas on how to convince them to leave?
    My brother has bats hanging out in a new extension that he built onto my late Uncles house about 10 years ago. They arrive in late Spring when it gets warmer, stay for the Summer and disappear around this time of the year. Originally there was five or six but now there are fifty or sixty.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

ganmo wrote: »
    Same

I was brought up on a farm but only saw a lizard once on a stack of turf in a bog. Never saw one on the farm itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

AFAIK they are protected and can't be disturbed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    AFAIK they are protected and can't be disturbed.

I'd prefer it if they moved on to be honest. ;)
    At the minute they are under the slates, above the felt, but if / when they come through... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Belmullet, NW Mayo

ill be there for the weekend

Tell them to start paying rent on time or they’re out of there!
    That’s what my landlord says anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd prefer it if they moved on to be honest. ;)
    At the minute they are under the slates, above the felt, but if / when they come through... :(

Why would they come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We have a grey heron, pine martins, hares, pheasants, a bird of prey in the bog- neighbour reckons it’s a peregrine. Foxes, plenty of small birds, the ragwort eating caterpillars. Butterflies and moths. Bats and a pair of barn owls. Plenty of field mice, And too many slugs

This guy is on outside of my window. Can anyone identify it?

490994.jpeg

Danzy wrote: »
    Why would they come through?

I would imagine over time they’ll wear the felt and it’ll just break and then they’ll be in...

• Advertisement
Advertisement