Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land prices

• 22-02-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Going buying ground I've been renting for 20 years. Its SAC land . Its well drained bogish ground. Only reason I'm buying it is that it runs along side my own. It doesn't come with entitlements. Just wondering what is the going rate for such land in the West of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Fine Day

brianb243 wrote: »
    Going buying ground I've been renting for 20 years. Its SAC land . Its well drained bogish ground. Only reason I'm buying it is that it runs along side my own. It doesn't come with entitlements. Just wondering what is the going rate for such land in the West of Ireland

If its not of development land I would give a guess of €4000 to €5000. Depends amount of land & local interest etc. If your over 35 you will have to pay stamp duty of 6%. Which is €6000 for every €10000. No real incentive in buying land now particularly if your are in beef/sheep/tillage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

SAC land is next to worthless.
    Poor land has a base price of around 4k/acre for 30acres or more because it can be planted in trees
    Once the land is designated SAC or NHA then it can't be planted so it has no base value.
    I wouldn't be offering anymore than 3k/acre and even then its not a great investment. But it would be ok for you once you are beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭mayota

If it’s SAC l take it there is no forestry potential so probably only worth €2000 or so an acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Only thing about SAC land is I expect that there will be a huge push to bring in an adequate environment scheme to compensate for designation. Huge issue at present compensation is not reflecting designation. 2k is maximum payment for such designation.

EU allowed it last time unlikely in next CAP. However have to agree 3kish or less is what it seems to be worth at present. However if as you describe that it is bogish 3 may be tops for it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Sometimes it is not what the land is worth, it is what you will have to pay to perhaps keep some undesirable person out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brianb243

Approached the owner since posting thread and he wants 5k/ acre. Good lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭mayota

He has to start somewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

mayota wrote: »
    He has to start somewhere.

I agree, if he asked you €100 an acre anyone with any negotiation skill would still offer him less. The ball is now rolling as it were and you can always offer him something reasonable (whatever that is) and see what happens. If an agreement can be reached that both parties are happy with then good and well if not then your better off to walk away empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brianb243

SAC land is next to worthless.
    Poor land has a base price of around 4k/acre for 30acres or more because it can be planted in trees
    Once the land is designated SAC or NHA then it can't be planted so it has no base value.
    I wouldn't be offering anymore than 3k/acre and even then its not a great investment. But it would be ok for you once you are beside it.

Is this 100% on the plantation option being out?
    He's of the mind that he will get 5k per acre through forestry even though its SAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Is this 100% on the plantation option being out?
    He's of the mind that he will get 5k per acre through forestry even though its SAC.

Afraid so. It's even worse than that, with SAC you are very very limited to what you can do with the land. No planting, no building, next to no farming activities maybe 1 cow per 10 acres if you get agreement from the parks and wildlife ranger
    But on the plus side, you still have all the liabilities of land ownership plus those rangers have free access to roam across the land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,850 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Theheff wrote: »
    If its not of development land I would give a guess of €4000 to €5000. Depends amount of land & local interest etc. If your over 35 you will have to pay stamp duty of 6%. Which is €6000 for every €10000. No real incentive in buying land now particularly if your are in beef/sheep/tillage.

7.5% since last budget.

So 750 Euro extra on every 10k paid.

Tell him you'll just buy it from whoever he leaves it to after he kicks the bucket and they can enjoy your 3k an acre rather than him.

Sorry my mistake was thinking of the increase on100k.

No worries. Easy mistake. I'll delete my post so you can delete yours if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Afraid so. It's even worse than that, with SAC you are very very limited to what you can do with the land. No planting, no building, next to no farming activities maybe 1 cow per 10 acres if you get agreement from the parks and wildlife ranger
    But on the plus side, you still have all the liabilities of land ownership plus those rangers have free access to roam across the land
    WUMming
    You have to gethe a screening for an Appropriate Assessment (AA) done as part of ant planning application for building, it's normally a formality, but would cost a few 100.
    You'd need consent for reseeding and drainage works from local ranger, normally such land wouldn't be worth reseeding but again I've never seen it refused where it's appropriate. Unless your in a conservation plan, for which you get a few bob, you can farm away normally. Rangers gave more sense and more to be doing than tormenting farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

SAC land around here making 3-9k/acre depending on quality.
    None of that would be bog though? Mineral and black soil over gravel, hillside land.

Advertisement