Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ah, poor RTE is playing we have no money.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How about everyone stops giving these fools money to squander! We enable their ****tery.

They can't put us all in prison!!

Maybe then, they will cop the **** on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

in a couple of minutes times there'll be someone wheeled out to summarise the newspapers on morning Ireland. They'll return at 08:12 for another few minutes. Why can't Dobbo or one of the presenters do this segment. Far too many people working on one two hour long show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Damien360 wrote: »
    Abuse of free taxis (at cost to rte) for any old excuse never went away. On a story/buisness fair enough but it was being used for going to and from work for every tom dick and Harry.

It might only be a drop in the ocean that is the RTE total expenditure but the taxi situation is a disgrace. What other employer in this country pays for taxis to and from work for its staff. Such an easy solution for Dee Forbes to save a few hundred grand, tell staff they can make their own way to and from Montrose like any normal commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

They have to wait for 20 years to increase it. That will be in 2028.

Genuine question, why 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Scrap the whole thing I couldn't care less. These presenters are getting paid more than their BBC counterparts when you consider the viewer and listenership size.

No way should the taxpayer be propping up this crap. They have commercial ad revenue unlike the BBC, how are they in such trouble so? Simple, fat salaries and gross mismanagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I didnt see the Prime Time piece but if it is as described it may be the end of the last scrap journalistic integrity at RTE. I'll wait til i can watch it but it sounds very sad.

If the relationship between RTE and the public were a marriage you'd call it abusive. RTE pushing a "you'll be nothing without me!" narrative and large swathes of the public with palpable Stockholm Syndrome. Not healthy at best and pretty sick at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

MOH wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

So scrap the reality/import show dominated RTE, halve the licence fee, throw it all at TG4 who actually manage to come up with original programming and put an indigenous twist on imports.

Everyone's a winner.

Instead of blowing money on imports and rights to matches someone can get anywhere, they should be giving more opportunities to interesting Irish TV production companies. Sometimes there can be extraordinarily good programming, but generally it's the same lazy stuff. That's without considering RTÉ's general contempt for efficiency.

contempt for efficiency.

great phrase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Dont pay for that muck... i dont have a TV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Return of glenroe seems to be big news in rte....

Re runs of course.

• Advertisement

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Dont pay for that muck... i dont have a TV ;)

They're going to get you with the new licence.... Doesn't have to be a TV....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They should stop paying the likes of Marian Finucane, Joe Duffy, Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy etc. astronomical wages. What do they do that is so important to justify their wages? Their jobs certainly don't warrant their salaries and the same applies to everyone else who works in RTE. Sort that out and then maybe that would be a start towards RTE saving money.

They would claim it's a constant battle to prevent d,arcy from being poached by NBC

Hence the mighty bribe required

They're going to get you with the new licence.... Doesn't have to be a TV....

I think i heard about that alright, its phones is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Without RTE, who would spread public sector union propoganda, where would ingrid miley go

It will be any device so phone, tablet, laptop, pc monitor etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll be any digital device, there will be no escaping it.

Except maybe for a few tree huggers who live off the grid.

Re: the RTE top earners.

Often hear how the pay of the likes of Duffy, D'arcy, Miriam, Finucane etc isn't really a factor in the losses at RTE, but for me its like climate change.

Changes made in small places like Ireland are irrelevant if USA, China, India etc don't reform, but we do it any way cos its the right thing to do.

Same with the top earners wages. Might not save RTE, but its the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why is a television license paying for:

RTRadio One
    RTRaidi Gaeltachta
    RTLyric FM
    RTPerforming Groups
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland levy
    BCI Sound and Vision fund
    Collection Costs from An Post/Communications and Social Protection Departments

Not to mention the orchestras!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Telecom eireann, ESB sort of, aerlingus, CIE some of and more to go, Luas to a French company to manage, Irish water another mess, I'm sure I am missing some.

It's normal in other countries to privatise companies so what's the problem?

Also, Luas is now run by Transdev and it will change again in the future. I don't see the problem with it and it's a highly efficient service.

Irish Water is only a mess in that how it's funded and irish people refused to pay for it unlike how people in other countries pay for their water.

So there's no real need to bash the whole country.

Return of glenroe seems to be big news in rte....

Re runs of course.
    absolutely tragic

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's normal in other countries to privatise companies so what's the problem?

Also, Luas is now run by Transdev and it will change again in the future. I don't see the problem with it and it's a highly efficient service.

Irish Water is only a mess in that how it's funded and irish people refused to pay for it unlike how people in other countries pay for their water.

So there's no real need to bash the whole country.

Luas operations hasnt changed once, it's exactly the same operator since day one!

Don't get your argument....

Many countries keep their national airlines and transport infrastructure and so on....

Everything I've seen here and in many other countries when privatised it's in no way better for the consumer or the state or the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The 3 hipsters they choose weren't very representative for starters.

Why were they armed with 3 RTE logo'd disposable, plastic lidded coffee cups. Doesn't RTE have a dishwasher?

Stop the waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Luas operations hasnt changed once, it's exactly the same operator since day one!

Don't get your argument....

Many countries keep their national airlines and transport infrastructure and so on....

Everything I've seen here and in many other countries when privatised it's in no way better for the consumer or the state or the people.

Ok, I thought Transdev and Veolia were separate companies but it's simply a name change. Either way I don't see the problem and what Irish company could do it?

How was Telecom Eireann better than Eir for the consumer? Or Aer Lingus?

They were both ridiculously expensive when publicly owned and they didn't care about the consumer.

It's competition and deregulation that benefited the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Watching this last night and the lassy who had a projector so didn't have to pay for a tv license.....There was me about to throw the TV on done deal after hearing that :pac:...

of course the change there thinking of bring out for household media charge will change that if they get there way....

NIMAN wrote: »
    It'll be any digital device, there will be no escaping it.

Except maybe for a few tree huggers who live off the grid.

How will the charges be implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd still like to have a national broadcaster but purely for the news, elections, current affairs, big sport events etc. and a good website (which is about the only good thing RTE have right now) for reporting and such.

But RTE in its current state is a joke. Why in 2019 when everyone has internet access and can download all these shows are they paying millions and millions just to buy and air US and UK shows? It's ridiculous.

Chop them down to one station and only air original Irish TV on it, preferably not the drab sh*te they currently do, and don't air for the sake of it. if there's nothing on, either keep the screen black or show the news, and drop the f*cking license fee down a peg or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

It might only be a drop in the ocean that is the RTE total expenditure but the taxi situation is a disgrace. What other employer in this country pays for taxis to and from work for its staff. Such an easy solution for Dee Forbes to save a few hundred grand, tell staff they can make their own way to and from Montrose like any normal commuter.
    What kind of staff get free taxis? Has this always been the way?

How will the charges be implemented?

No idea. I think there was mention of letting Revenue collect it, but don't think Revenue are keen on the job.

If they want it, they'll get it.

Either add it to your property tax. Or your electricity bill?

If RTE sut down between midnight and 7am, would it save much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

It’s very important we don’t lose our national consciousness in a world of American dominated media.

Curiously, RTE spends about €25 million a year on importing television programmes from overseas. Turn on RTE and you're likely to see something like The Simpsons, Home and Away, or EastEnders.

Even with the home-produced shows, it's hard to see how fare like Operation Transformation, Dermot Bannon's Incredible Homes, or Daniel & Majella’s B&B Road Trip help to promote a national consciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

zeebre12 wrote: »
    What kind of staff get free taxis? Has this always been the way?

I drove taxis several years ago the Midlands correspondent ( can't spell his name, arrogant gob****e)for RTE regularly got a taxi from Athlone to his home in Lanes borough after the pub. It was always expensed to RTE, ie the licence payer.

Advertisement