Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote: »
    This plan or idea is what has always got me excited about Cork roads; The N22 and N25 Southern Ring upgrades are designed to create a motorway ring around Cork city. Cork will have the M20 entering from the northwest and the M8 from the northeast. With some judicious changes on the N25 southern ring road and the future N22 northern ring road, an M22/M25 ring could be created, and possibly renumbered. The N25 as far east as Midleton would be up to scratch too, as would the N22 up to Macroom to the west. Cork would then be at the centre of nearly as many motorways as Dublin - the M8, M20, M22, and M25. Notably, all of these would actually connect with the ring road, unlike at Dublin where the joins are via lower standard DC sections. In order to achieve all this, some junction upgrades or reconfiguration would be needed for the N22 and N25 sections encircling Cork.

What do you think our chances of ever seeing this are? Looking at your post it doesn't seem that there is an interest in this at a national level, if there was projects like the NRR West wouldn't be in a state of permanent limbo and Ovens-Macroom would be getting precedence over Macroom-Ballyvourney.

When was that article written? For as long as i can currently remember the South Ring Road from the tunnel to the first Ballincollig exit is the N40 and will soon be the M40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

kub wrote: »
    When was that article written? For as long as i can currently remember the South Ring Road from the tunnel to the first Ballincollig exit is the N40 and will soon be the M40.

It has to not been the N40 for about 6 or 7 years tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I drove from Cork to Grenagh Sunday, at 11.30am - there was so much traffic on the road. There was a lady in a car to the left (Waterloo area) trying to cross fast moving cars to get back into Cork. So dangerous! Basically, coming from a side road and turning right onto the N20, across a section where cars are doing 110km/120km - it is so daunting.- I am not from Cork- what is the story with this stretch of road-Cork-Limerick? What is the agenda?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This plan or idea is what has always got me excited about Cork roads; The N22 and N25 Southern Ring upgrades are designed to create a motorway ring around Cork city. Cork will have the M20 entering from the northwest and the M8 from the northeast. With some judicious changes on the N25 southern ring road and the future N22 northern ring road, an M22/M25 ring could be created, and possibly renumbered. The N25 as far east as Midleton would be up to scratch too, as would the N22 up to Macroom to the west. Cork would then be at the centre of nearly as many motorways as Dublin - the M8, M20, M22, and M25. Notably, all of these would actually connect with the ring road, unlike at Dublin where the joins are via lower standard DC sections. In order to achieve all this, some junction upgrades or reconfiguration would be needed for the N22 and N25 sections encircling Cork.

What do you think our chances of ever seeing this are? Looking at your post it doesn't seem that there is an interest in this at a national level, if there was projects like the NRR West wouldn't be in a state of permanent limbo and Ovens-Macroom would be getting precedence over Macroom-Ballyvourney.

It's proceeding at glacial pace because Cork politicians seemingly have no interest in pushing for any of this and are happy to ignore it. Michael Creed has heavily pushed the N22 Macroom bypass, and the Dunkettle interchange is being pushed but that's about it. Micheal Martin made an embarrassing presentation at the M28 oral hearing about "motorways through people's front windows" or some such ****e.

If the attitude to roads in the west was there in Cork these would be going ahead. The upgrades which were listed as priorities in the Road Needs Study 1998 won't be fully implemented this side of 2040.

kub wrote: »
    It has to not been the N40 for about 6 or 7 years tops.

N25 South Ring became N40 in 2012, around the same time they were working on the two roundabout flyovers. The N71 from the Sarsfield Road Roundabout to Victoria Cross became the R641 at the same time.
    I drove from Cork to Grenagh Sunday, at 11.30am - there was so much traffic on the road. There was a lady in a car to the left (Waterloo area) trying to cross fast moving cars to get back into Cork. So dangerous! Basically, coming from a side road and turning right onto the N20, across a section where cars are doing 110km/120km - it is so daunting.- I am not from Cork- what is the story with this stretch of road-Cork-Limerick? What is the agenda?

Cork-Limerick was with An Bord Pleanala in 2011 and got rejected to add in a junction for Buttevant. Whilst this junction was being put in, the Government decided to scrap the project (along with 70 or so others) and it got binned. It restarted in late 2016 and passed a feasibility study, and now it's at the route selection stage and initial design with an emerging preferred route expected to be published in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pure speculation here, but I get the feeling there is movement in carrigtwohill for something. The drive in is gone, no fencing around it and structure also coming down. Seems a bit excessive if it was just a case they aren't using it during summer months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

The Prism: This is believed to be an office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street which was for sale last year. A 15-17 storey building is believed to be proposed on the site.

450948.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It looks great.Hopefully the planning will be fast tracked.

It looks great.Hopefully the planning will be fast tracked.

It will after about 5 stories are taken off it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ah here this isn't the Dublin thread.

I doubt it would be viable at any lesser height

They should have went for a 30 storey with it being scaled down to 22-25.A bit of variation needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The website is live, looks like this is being fast tracked through planning with a decision due in September. Also it looks to be all office space, 6,000sq metres total.
    Currently in Planning Stage, with a decision due in Q3 2018, The Prism Building is a new, iconic, grade A commercial office development which will be located in the heart of Cork City. The tower will act as a gateway between Cork City Centre and the New Business District in the Docklands. Standing at 15 floors tall, this elegant prism-shaped structure will consist of 6,000 square meters of light filled, fourth generation office space, designed to the highest of international standards.
    https://theprismbuilding.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The website is live, looks like this is being fast tracked through planning with a decision due in September. Also it looks to be all office space, 6,000sq metres total.

https://theprismbuilding.ie/about/

As a commercial office development, there is no provision for a fast track planning application. It will go through the normal planning process, although I don't expect that much opposition really. Haven't seen it in detail yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

marno21 wrote: »

Agree. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully the headbangers who are determined to prevent any building higher than 5 storeys wont get their way on this one. Its a very run down area around the bus station. it would be great to see something happen there.

There will be plenty of objections. There always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

There will be plenty of objections. There always is.

All it takes is two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

marno21 wrote: »

In fairness, Cork can't even put an evening bus lane on the main street without hysterical head bangers threatening to set themselves on fire.

cgcsb wrote: »
    In fairness, Cork can't even put an evening bus lane on the main street without hysterical head bangers threatening to set themselves on fire.

I agree with that, but there seems to be more of a realisation by Cork council about the need for taller buildings, as opposed to Dublin's desire to destroy acres of prime development land by carpeting it with shoeboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

cgcsb wrote:

I wish they would would.

cgcsb wrote: »

One is temporary. The other semi-permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Apogee wrote: »
    450948.jpg

That's pretty much exactly the view out my living room window.

I think I'm getting the thin edge of the wedge. (boom boom)

• Advertisement

Actually though, to me the scale of that image looks slightly off. If anything, it makes the building seem larger (wider base) than it actually is. Typically the renders (un?)intentionally do the opposite. That site really is tiny. Unless they either get rid of the path on two sides, or have a narrow ground floor with larger upper floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

who_me wrote: »
    Actually though, to me the scale of that image looks slightly off. If anything, it makes the building seem larger (wider base) than it actually is. Typically the renders (un?)intentionally do the opposite. That site really is tiny. Unless they either get rid of the path on two sides, or have a narrow ground floor with larger upper floors?

If you zoom in I think that is the case. Narrow first few floors with the remaining floors being wider.

Incidentally - this is an elevation of the previous design (from years back). I have to admit I much prefer the design of this one, though the taller/slimmer ratio of the new tower is better.

https://imgur.com/a/lwWq5dX

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/eye-catching-cork-city-building-up-for-sale-on-lower-glanmire-road-843309.html

Extract from article:
    It’s also on the doorstep of the mixed occupier Penrose Wharf development, as well as being proximate to Penrose Quay, where a very substantial new office development is being mooted for an assembled site, understood to be at advanced pre-planning discussions with City Hall for developers JCD.

Great to see JCD planning a very substantial office development on Penrose Quay, these crowd don't mess around.

A great mock up here from Twitter of Parnell Place if the OCD development also goes ahead on the opposite site.

https://twitter.com/karldiskin/status/997115535845396480?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The demolition work on the old FAS office is pretty much done apart from the big job of carting away all the rubble. Only the part on Cove St was left during the week & had a look today to find this.

451069.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Planning my decision on the appeal for Sullivan's Quay delayed until the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

who_me wrote: »

The examiner article specifically mentions a cantilevered design and if you look closely at the conceptual image you’ll see 3 floors (or large ground and 1st floor), offset from the floors further up.

Presumably that’s the plan to include the footpath in the footprint of upper floors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Under Construction

Various Student Accommodation: Western Road and Beamish site are under construction, Crows Nest has planning and should start soon, Square Deal is facing appeals, Coca-Cola site on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? O’Riordans Joinery, Gillen House on Farranlea Road, Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road and Copely Street are all at various stages of planning and/or limbo.

Appeal withdrawn.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/plans-cleared-for-cork-city-student-apartment-scheme-470978.html

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    Fantastic spot for them, half way between UCC and town.

Advertisement