Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

B12 supplement...?

Options
  • 01-02-2018 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm looking at getting a B12 supplement and figure this is the best place to ask, I follow a mostly plant based diet so I hear b12 being recommended a lot.

Any opinions on the best kind? there a few different options available, what do people here take or recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I'm looking at getting a B12 supplement and figure this is the best place to ask, I follow a mostly plant based diet so I hear b12 being recommended a lot.

Any opinions on the best kind? there a few different options available, what do people here take or recommend?

No idea what best tbh. I bought these last week, another poster shared the link.

https://ie.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-Sublingual-Vitamin-B12-1000-mcg-250-Nuggets/8641

They’re actually shipped from America.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some nutritional yeast is fortified with B12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    No idea what best tbh. I bought these last week, another poster shared the link.

https://ie.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-Sublingual-Vitamin-B12-1000-mcg-250-Nuggets/8641

They’re actually shipped from America.
    These are very good, you only need to take one every few days or a week.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Some nutritional yeast is fortified with B12
    Yeah and very tasty! This is a great substitute if you want to add it too food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

For anyone ordering through iherb - do you have to pay tax/duty on items when they arrive?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

For anyone ordering through iherb - do you have to pay tax/duty on items when they arrive?

You may be hit for it for orders over €22, I never really go over that so don't know if people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

You may be hit for it for orders over €22, I never really go over that so don't know if people do.

Thanks for that....good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

These are very good, you only need to take one every few days or a week.

Yeah and very tasty! This is a great substitute if you want to add it too food.

How much B12 do we actually need to be taking everyday though? One of them a week?

'B12 is stored rather well by the body so you don't need it every day, so I take it once a week and have it tested if I am getting a checkup and it's fine. Depends on how strong a supplement you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am verging on a vegan diet.

In addition to B12 is there other supplements a vegan really should take?

I simply known I will not get my bloods tested nor meticulously check what I eat. Not that I eat junk but I just feel I will run the risk of missing some key nutrient.

JTMan wrote: »
    I am verging on a vegan diet.

In addition to B12 is there other supplements a vegan really should take?

I simply known I will not get my bloods tested nor meticulously check what I eat. Not that I eat junk but I just feel I will run the risk of missing some key nutrient.

If you want some key things that people miss I'll give you a few that are for optimal health:

Vitamin D - Most people don't get enough of this, vegan or otherwise.
    Selenium - I eat one brazil nut a day for that.
    Iodine - May need to supplement this if you don't eat much sea vegetables.
    Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) - can eat flax seed and convert it from ALA to the aforementioned things but you don't know how much is being converted.

If worried you can cover mos of the bases with this https://www.vegansociety.com/shop/supplements/veg-1-orange-90-tablets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

If worried you can cover mos of the bases with this https://www.vegansociety.com/shop/supplements/veg-1-orange-90-tablets

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

If you want some key things that people miss I'll give you a few that are for optimal health:

Vitamin D - Most people don't get enough of this, vegan or otherwise.
    Selenium - I eat one brazil nut a day for that.
    Iodine - May need to supplement this if you don't eat much sea vegetables.
    Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) - can eat flax seed and convert it from ALA to the aforementioned things but you don't know how much is being converted.

For Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) - ground chia seeds is another option.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

For iodine, you can get kelp tablets. I find them good.

Worztron wrote: »
    For Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) - ground chia seeds is another option.

I've always read chia seeds are ALA like flax too, unless you see something contradictory!

I've always read chia seeds are ALA like flax too, unless you see something contradictory!

Sorry, I stand corrected. Yes, ALA only from ground chia AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

anyone knows if you can get b12 injections in Dub without GP prescription.

I am very low but bot under minimum, as in around 200 and optimal is at min over 550.
    GP says I should just continue to take supplements, which I do but nothing is improving. (my b12 is around 200-300 for 6 years now, feel terrible)

without going in to too many details, I have other conditions, but I know b12 would help with my symptoms so much.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement