Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obtaining British Army WW2 Soldiers records

Options
  • 04-01-2018 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, posting this here as am hoping maybe someone can offer some advice or has even gone through this process. My grandfather always told us that he had been in the British Army during WW2. We have heard this from other sources also, so we believe it to be true. He said he worked in the Medical Corps.
    So to obtain records of those who served, you must apply to the British MOD, which is fine, but we only have his name and birthdate to apply with. We have no service number, no regiment, not even the exact years that he served.
    Has anyone had experience with applying or searching for relatives who enlisted in the British Army. I know there were a lot of Irish who joined up, but it was frowned on where my grandfather grew up, so he kept it quiet for many years. Also, would his daughter be considered next of kin?
    Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The medical Corps in the UK was called the RAMC, Royal Army Medical Corps, so have a google and try to find the central records for that Branch. There are websites that cater for people searching for relatives information. You may have to obtain a copy of his birth cert to be allowed access to his records. If he was ever awarded a medal or a pension, there will be records of those. You can also hire professional records researchers, who will do the job for you and you would need to have as much detail as possible, ie; date of birth, exact name, exact place of birth (town, county, city,etc).

all the best
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You can also hire professional records researchers, who will do the job for you and you would need to have as much detail as possible, ie; date of birth
    Was he of military age when he joined? This is where things can get hazy, as some boys gave an incorrect DoB so that they could join as men, and I'd think that that would fudge records a bit.

Advertisement