Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boston Marathon 2018

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Ditto that. Really good read.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hey folks, has any body on the running forum stayed in the HI Boston hostel? Might do Boston in 2019 and 4 nights in a premium mixed dorm comes on at $386 usd. (4 bed) Friday to Tuesday.
    Will hopefully keep the costs down then.

Free cancellation :)

Hi Limpy,

You're going to have a great experience.

I stayed in Boston from Saturday to Wednesday which was good as I got an extra day to unwind and do touristy things. I reckon if you want to keep costs down, you could stay from Saturday to Tuesday quite easily.

purelike wrote: »
    Hi Limpy,

You're going to have a great experience.

I stayed in Boston from Saturday to Wednesday which was good as I got an extra day to unwind and do touristy things. I reckon if you want to keep costs down, you could stay from Saturday to Tuesday quite easily.

OK, I suppose I won't want to be doing touristy things before the marathon so maybe the extra day later would be better. Will get to enjoy the hangover in peace!!

Another factor is the buses to hopkinton. I could get a nice place for 2 outside the city(if I went with herself) but if I am in coral one the buses leave at 6am? How do people manage with that. It's the only thing putting me off.

Arriving Saturday is fine. Gives you a day and a half to collect your gear and get your bearings, and staying till Wednesday gives you all of Tuesday to faff around and enjoy the great atmosphere in the city.

I was in Wave 1 this year, I cocked up my baggage drop there and ended up getting the bus as 7am instead of 6. Thought I would miss my wave, but It was grand. You just need to be in Hopkinton in time to be called for your wave. I think Wave one was called at about 9:15am. I suggest staying somewhere that it is easy to get to Boston Common in the morning. So somewhere in the city centre or on a T Train line is good. The accommodation for that weekend is a bit pricey, but sure it’s a bank holiday and the Boston marathon is on.

Are you in Wave 1 Corral 1? If so you’ll be qualifying with a 2:45 or faster (See image) and you’ll be doing your strides with the elites at the start.

Boston%2BMarathon%2B-%2B2016%2BCorrals.jpg

• Advertisement

2:50 for me so I guess coral 2. Maybe less people with faster times due to tough conditions in London and Boston this year.

2:50 is a great time. Well done. Where and when did you do that?

purelike wrote: »
    2:50 is a great time. Well done. Where and when did you do that?

And 2017

Limpy wrote: »
    And 2017

Had a time in 16 and put it off. 2017 I did Dublin in 2:50 so no more deferring, I'm definitely doing it this time while the going is good. Roll on 2019 just need sort the logistics and try get it cheap as possible.

Advertisement