Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Nancy Unkempt Shop

thomil wrote: »
    I just passed there today, they're definitely working on the site. Looks like they're preparing to tear down the modern warehouse to the right of the counting house. There was also some work being done on the counting house itself, apparently cabling of some sort. Small steps, but more activity than I've ever seen before on that site. I'll try to upload images later today.

Yes. New hoarding seems to have gone up to the right of Counting House. BAM containers moved to front of site. A little bit of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yes. New hoarding seems to have gone up to the right of Counting House. BAM containers moved to front of site. A little bit of progress.
    Promising news though small as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I dont think there is a whole lot going on there as i see bam are now working on the courthouse on anglesea street as well,so between that the capitol and the event centre it will be 3 sites on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

ofcork wrote: »
    I dont think there is a whole lot going on there as i see bam are now working on the courthouse on anglesea street as well,so between that the capitol and the event centre it will be 3 sites on the go.

Not sure BAM are doing the Capitol Site?

I believe they are as have a big sign across the cinema entrance,they also worked on albert quay for jcd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

ofcork wrote: »

BAM are a huge international company who can more than cope with three projects in a small place like Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

CHealy wrote: »
    BAM are a huge international company who can more than cope with three projects in a small place like Cork.

BAM also planning to replace old tax office with hotel so you could see that happening in line with events centre so that they open together.

Very little going on when i passed today,im sure its being used as a site office by bam for the capitol project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like some more BAM containers have arrived on site, there was a few people in hi-vis vest wandering around there as well when I passed earlier.

1265niq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

opus wrote: »
    Looks like some more BAM containers have arrived on site, there was a few people in hi-vis vest wandering around there as well when I passed earlier.

1265niq.jpg

What i was thinking - are BAM using these as the site office for the Capitol Development?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

What i was thinking - are BAM using these as the site office for the Capitol Development?

Well they are doing the work on the Capitol and they have no other site offices close by, so i reckon you are correct.

I said as much in my previous post no work being done on the actual beamish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Makes sense to use it for now as an office site if nothing else is happening. Are they also going to be working on the old tax office site too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Makes sense to use it for now as an office site if nothing else is happening. Are they also going to be working on the old tax office site too

I don't think I've ever seen site office prefabs given a grand opening by an Taoiseach before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Don't understand the negativity and begrudgery that appears on the various Cork development threads. It almost seems like some people are disappointed when projects start to progress as it doesn't suit their 'It will will never happen' agenda.
    Having said that a 2 year timeframe for completion sounds ambitious given the likelihood of the archaeological surveys taking longer to complete. Its a historic area so the findings may be significant.
    Good to see it progressing at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

thejuggler wrote: »
    Don't understand the negativity and begrudgery that appears on the various Cork development threads. It almost seems like some people are disappointed when projects start to progress as it doesn't suit their 'It will will never happen' agenda.
    Having said that a 2 year timeframe for completion sounds ambitious given the likelihood of the archaeological surveys taking longer to complete. Its a historic area so the findings may be significant.

I agree; this is a very positive development for the city centre. It has taken a long time, but all those involved have a responsibility to make sure it is progressed properly. The sniping about deadlines is getting old and boring tbh(and redundant as the various developments actually happen). Move on people. It actually looks like it will happen after all; get over it.

Hold on a second. Who in here is begrudging this development?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭thejuggler

You only have to read back through this thread and others like it (here and on other Cork forums) to compile a selection of snide comments and digs implying that these projects would never get off the ground. The naysayers have been proved wrong and they've gone very quiet since.
    You can sense the bitterness of some posts and posters who seem to have a large chip on their shoulder - sadly reinforcing a stereotype that is often levied about Corkonians. We need more positivity not cynicism.

• Advertisement

You only have to read back through this thread and others like it (here and on other Cork forums) to compile a selection of snide comments and digs implying that these projects would never get off the ground. The naysayers have been proved wrong and they've gone very quiet since.
    You can sense the bitterness of some posts and posters who seem to have a large chip on their shoulder - sadly reinforcing a stereotype that is often levied about Corkonians. We need more positivity not cynicism.

You're confusing begrudgery with skepticism in our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

another potential hold up on this project is if the geological people find anything then there could be big delays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

shafty100 wrote: »
    another potential hold up on this project is if the geological people find anything then there could be big delays

Not necessarily.I remember not that long ago when they were doing the Cork Dublin motorway by Mitchelstown,they uncovered some find.A team of Archaeologists were in and out of there in no time.

We know that the job will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The archaeology on it will be fascinating though. Not often you get to dig in the one of the oldest spots in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You're confusing begrudgery with skepticism in our politicians.

Yep. You have to be positive about everything otherwise the easiest word on Irish forums is wheeled out..... 'begrudgery'

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

In fairness you can't blame people for being skeptical, this has been in the works for years now and it has been just constant set backs. I have to say though, this is the first time I feel optimistic (cautiously) that it might actually go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

In fairness you can't blame people for being skeptical, this has been in the works for years now and it has been just constant set backs. I have to say though, this is the first time I feel optimistic (cautiously) that it might actually go ahead.

Agreed when it comes to large infrastructure projects in Ireland history has shown we are probably correct to be a bit sceptical. Things like that national acaquatic centre, children's hospital, M50 are just a few projects which would not inspire confidence in either state or developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Nancy Unkempt Shop

But it's not progressing. That's the point. And that's the reason people are sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

But it's not progressing. That's the point. And that's the reason people are sceptical.
    It is progressing in the background, there is alot of movement in the background on engineering consultants and similar being interviewed with a view to them being appointed shortly. Just because they arent working onsite yet doesnt mean there isnt progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

It's definitely progressing. I past the site today and there was a good few Bam workers there fixing up the site offices / containers. I don't think they'd be any where near the place if contracts and the rest of the issues weren't signed and sealed.

Advertisement