Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Scientists and Researchers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Kilough

Hey all, great idea.
    PhD in Material science/Computational engineering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

3rd year psychology student
    have own website for student and psychology news
    work as a business analysis by day
    like statistics in psychology and neuro, cog, person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Hi all,

I'm in my 3rd year of a forestry PhD. I'm working in the area of biomass modelling and allometry. Basically I'm trying to create height/biomass models for commercial tree spp in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 FredsMom

I am a MSc Biotech student, just starting my thesis project in pathogenic mechanisms! Also worked in a research lab in holland for a while in bioprocessing!
    The first scientist in my family and proud to be!!:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks GuanYin for starting this. I'm 'trying'/struggling to do a masters at the moment in biomass area. Have BSc in Env Sc. :)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

2nd year Ph.D. in Biochemistry in TCD. Working on structural changes experienced by a protein as it is digested, looking at the potential formation of an anti-cancer complex in the stomach. Loving it, except for times like this when people set the HPLC at the wrong temperature and leave with the HPLC beeping and me trying to write!! Beep beep. Beep beep!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have finished electronic and computer engineering(real science :-p), mostly researched unified communication system based on the location of communication devices. Did voice controlled robotics previously. Dunno what to do for phd, possibly fibre optics.

ended up turning down phd and doing masers in trinity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ended up turning down phd and doing masers in trinity.

Masers or Masters? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

New special level of qualification >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A masters in lasers perhaps?

• Advertisement

See, she gets it!

.o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

B.Eng Electronic & Computer, doing a MSc in Photonics now abroad. Doing my thesis on non linear fiber optic impairments. Hoping to do a PhD afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Still only in my final year of an advanced materials course , got a fantastic taste of research doing my 3 month project abroad in Australia , Hoping to return for a PhD. Produced a little parody music video on the struggles of research! Hope ye like it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

O hai.

B.Sc. (marine science), H.Dip. (microbiology) and M.Sc. (Bioinformatics and systems biology) here.

I've been a research assistant in UCC more or less since this time last year (with a couple of month's unemployment last summer when I was between contracts). First contract was genome sequencing/annotation and mining for interesting secondary metabolites. This contract is mostly general bioinformatics support, and if they ever sort out the red tape a project to assay all the genes in an in-house bacterial strain in one go using TraDIS (transposon-directed insertion sequencing). And any other little bits and pieces they might need doing before the end of next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 S_S116

Hi,
    I'm doing my PhD Animal Science namely reproductive biology of the cow. I'm writing up at the moment so would love to hear from others in the same boat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

S_S116 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm doing my PhD Animal Science namely reproductive biology of the cow. I'm writing up at the moment so would love to hear from others in the same boat!
    Not near writing yet. I'm across the pond doing the first two years of coursework before I go to writtens, orals, and research proposal defense. Have a free ride, but RA to make ends meet on my starving student budget. Hope to get a couple peer reviewed articles out by year end. The PI will get 1st name, but I will be 2nd on pubs. Have to build CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Hi folks. BSc in Earth Science and currently doing an MSc in GIS and Remote Sensing in UCC. Hoping to submit my first paper for publication in the next few months, based on my undergraduate dissertation.
    I've applied for a young graduate trainee place at the European Space Agency, but will be applying for PhD places in the next while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

1st year PhD nanomedicine student in tcd. MSc in Molecular Medicine and BA (mod) in medicinal chemistry. Doing a lot of characterisation at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RSpookee

Just completed my BSc in Applied Ecology.. hoping to start a PhD in UCC soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shels_m

On my 2nd M.Sc. studying Otolarynology through Clinical and Molecular Anatomy in UCD. Have also got a B.Sc in Anatomy and an M.Sc. in Toxicology, both from NUIG. The current M.Sc. might become a Ph.D. but I'm hoping that I can have a 3 year one instead of 4. Getting a little weary of living like a student! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Working as a Research Technician in South-East UK. Hoping to do a PhD here but my boss doesn't seem keen on me staying. Need to figure out what I want to do long term as well....

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Welcome ancapailldorcha and shels_m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Have a PhD in geosciences from Queen's and I'm currently writing up the material for publication.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Have a PhD in geosciences from Queen's and I'm currently writing up the material for publication.
    That's grand El Siglo. When you get published, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Black Swan wrote: »
    That's grand El Siglo. When you get published, let us know.

My first article was just accepted for publication, should be online sometime next week. Very happy to get the foot on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

I'm a postdoc after completing my PhD early 2012 at NUIG. Currently working further afield but hope to get back some day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

calanus wrote: »
    I'm a postdoc after completing my PhD early 2012 at NUIG. Currently working further afield but hope to get back some day

How do you find living in Iceland? I was there for a holiday once.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

El Siglo wrote: »
    My first article was just accepted for publication, should be online sometime next week. Very happy to get the foot on the ladder.
    Congrats El Siglo.
    calanus wrote: »
    Postdoc is grand calanus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was browsing the website of the university I attend for the contact details of a staff member. I stumbled across my own name listed under researchers.

So I guess that makes me officially a researcher. :)

I'm currently at the data gathering stage of a paper I am writing. Exciting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I was browsing the website of the university I attend for the contact details of a staff member. I stumbled across my own name listed under researchers.

So I guess that makes me officially a researcher. :)

I'm currently at the data gathering stage of a paper I am writing. Exciting stuff.

What's the paper on?

Advertisement