Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italian-style chipper in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Chipmonger has about the nicest chips in Cork.

Dinos and lenoxes after that.

Anyone else meh

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Lennox's in Middleton are very good also, voted best chipper on Ireland last year (not related to Jackie Lennox from what I've heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Looney's in Blackpool does a good and cheap battered sausage. I really like their chips, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "proper" battered sausage, though. What do you look for in a bs?

Batter that doesn't crack when you bite into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

Tasty Snacks in Churchfield do fab chips apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

O Reilly's food truck on the straight road is for me the best.

• Advertisement

I use to live in Drumcondra in Dublin - Fortes chips on Dorset street were (and still, are I believe) class.. proper italian style chips.. cut in-house from real potatoes..
    Can't get anything like them here in Cork..
    Murphy's are not the same - v greasy

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

"Italian style chips" is a funny one, considering chips aren't a thing in Italy at all.

Still not sure what the difference is...

I live in Leinster but am from Cork.
    Dublin Italian style chippers are IMO utter crap, the food is rank. Not a patch on Lennox's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mardyke wrote: »

Still not sure what the difference is...

Even the Italian person from an Italian chipper family couldn't explain the difference.

To be honest, I don't think there is any.

Good chippers, bad chippers, Italian run chippers and Irish run chippers. I don't think there is a particular connection.

........... I don't think there is a particular connection.

Potatoe pies seem to be a Cork thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yeah I grew up in the midlands where all of the chippers were Italian, the whole way up to dublin.... go west or south tho and they didnt really exist!

The ones in the Midlands and dublin all seem to have amalgamated and homogenized under the "Romayo's" brand. You do still find the odd "real" chipper about the place too though - Angelo's in Banagher Co. Offaly is a fine example.

Closest to these that I've found in Cork is Murphys in Blackpool.

Not exactly true. Cafollas in Ballina & Castlebar are authentic and have been running for 5/6 decades. Ballina one was opened in 1967 by the Orlandi & Cafolla families and has been in Italian ownership ever since. Good chips too.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not exactly true. Cafollas in Ballina & Castlebar are authentic and have been running for 5/6 decades. Ballina one was opened in 1967 by the Orlandi & Cafolla families and has been in Italian ownership ever since. Good chips too.

Speaking of Mayo, Danollas in Westport is class too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^For fish yes, I don't think Murphys even do fresh fish, only square "cod". For chips and other assorted deep fried/battered/southern fried/messy goodness Murphys wins.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve never had square COD from murphys, I haven’t been in a while but it was always decent fish and chips

You're right, we treated ourselves to Murphy's last night, love big lump of fresh haddock, perfect batter and a battered sausage to wash it all down!! By jaysus their chips are unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Where exactly is O'Reillys in Bishopstown? Is it actually in the petrol station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

OmegaGene wrote: »

Thanks...I'm new to this whole internet thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Was in Douglas last night so said I’d try the mythical King Creole from KCs. Absolute meh. The chips smelled funny too. Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I never really saw the appeal of the King Creole, probably because I'm not really a fan of mayonnaise. But they have so many other nice things on their menu that no other chippers do.

My experience of their chips isn't great either, I'd go for a potato cake instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

The Golden Fry on the Ballinlough Road - lovely chips that they cut themselves.

The best burger we've ever had from a takeaway, and I saw they do a proper fish dinner on a paper plate, with a a choice of fish and peas.

they also do potato pies - first one I ate, very nice indeed :)

Resurrecting this as I have a confession to make -

For a long time I had assumed C.F. Lennoxes was the same as the dodgy, crap, frozen chip Lennoxes that are on McCurtain St. and Ballincollig.

How wrong I was - Had a C.F. Lennoxes from Tory Top Road on Sunday after a day at the beach - Holy God the Chips were amazing. I'm starving just thinking about them, proper beef dripping fresh chips, and loads of them too. On a par with Murphy's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Great to know! I'll check them out.
    The one on McCurtain street was the worst bag of chips I've ever eaten ever- how did they manage to extract the flavour from them?

After nearly a year in Cork, Dinos chips wins hands down for me.

For a long time I had assumed C.F. Lennoxes was the same as the dodgy, crap, frozen chip Lennoxes that are on McCurtain St. and Ballincollig.

I've brought this up before and I can't get to the bottom of it.

I've had chips from Lennox's, McCurtain Street maybe 4 times over the last 4 or 5 years and every time they were fresh cut, "proper" chips. Each time I commented on how good the chips were - cooked properly - not the flaccid, pale chips that so many Irish chippers dish out. Really good quality. I know the difference between fresh cut and frozen chips.

What I can't understand is why more than one poster here has mentioned the crap, frozen chips from Lennox's McCurtain Street.

Do they change their chips regularly and I've always been lucky and been there when they have fresh cut chips?? Not very likely.

To be honest, the only explanation I can come up with is a xenophobic/racist bias because the operators appear to be from the Middle East.

I'd love for someone who has never been there before and who knows about food to go there, order chips and report back.

I've had chips from Lennox's, McCurtain Street maybe 4 times over the last 4 or 5 years and every time they were fresh cut, "proper" chips. Each time I commented on how good the chips were - cooked properly - not the flaccid, pale chips that so many Irish chippers dish out. Really good quality. I know the difference between fresh cut and frozen chips......................

I'd love for someone who has never been there before and who knows about food to go there, order chips and report back.

I'd agree with you.
    I imagine folk say it's sh1te is because it's common enough knowledge that CF Lennox just "sold" the name to the folk who operate that shop.

It's been a few years since I've had grub from McCurtain Street "Lennox" but the chips aren't "dodgy, crap, frozen chip Lennoxes that are on McCurtain St. and Ballincollig"

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

I've brought this up before and I can't get to the bottom of it.

I've had chips from Lennox's, McCurtain Street maybe 4 times over the last 4 or 5 years and every time they were fresh cut, "proper" chips. Each time I commented on how good the chips were - cooked properly - not the flaccid, pale chips that so many Irish chippers dish out. Really good quality. I know the difference between fresh cut and frozen chips.

What I can't understand is why more than one poster here has mentioned the crap, frozen chips from Lennox's McCurtain Street.

Do they change their chips regularly and I've always been lucky and been there when they have fresh cut chips?? Not very likely.

To be honest, the only explanation I can come up with is a xenophobic/racist bias because the operators appear to be from the Middle East.

I've had chips there just the once. They were crap. Really disappointing especially with the name over the door which suggested a higher quality of chip than most places.

It wasn't Xenophobia - I don't have a thing that only Cork people can cook chips (the Russian ladies in Denny's do a decent chip) - it was just poor quality.

PreCocious wrote: »
    I've had chips there just the once. They were crap. Really disappointing especially with the name over the door which suggested a higher quality of chip than most places.

It wasn't Xenophobia - I don't have a thing that only Cork people can cook chips (the Russian ladies in Denny's do a decent chip) - it was just poor quality.

I just can't get my head around why I have such a different experience to this chipper than others. I'm genuinely puzzled.
    How were the chips crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

https://lovin.ie/amp/news/feature/this-is-where-to-get-the-best-bag-of-chips-in-every-county-in-ireland

Cork – Sorrento
    Midleton Street, Cobh
    AHHH, you thought we were going to say Lennox's, didn't you?
    People appeal for Sorrento's number so frequently in Facebook groups that they screenshotted one comment and put it on the side of their delivery van.
    Gas.
    And their chips are gorge.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    https://lovin.ie/amp/news/feature/this-is-where-to-get-the-best-bag-of-chips-in-every-county-in-ireland

Cork – Sorrento
    Midleton Street, Cobh
    AHHH, you thought we were going to say Lennox's, didn't you?
    People appeal for Sorrento's number so frequently in Facebook groups that they screenshotted one comment and put it on the side of their delivery van.
    Gas.
    And their chips are gorge.

That article also says that Supermacs have the best chips in Galway.
    Not so sure I trust a word of that article.

........ you could argue Cobh isn't Cork anyway :pac:

I really don't know what to say to this... what nonsense. Fair enough we can disagree about trivial items such as chips, but to say there's a racial bias to liking one chipper over another? Really?!

For what its worth I have not had chips from McCurtain st in over two years after being burned twice - both times with friends who were down in cork visiting and still slag me over it - We had a Supermacs knock off back home, and they compare it to that. Perhaps they have improved.

• Advertisement

I really don't know what to say to this... what nonsense. Fair enough we can disagree about trivial items such as chips, but to say there's a racial bias to liking one chipper over another? Really?!

For what its worth I have not had chips from McCurtain st in over two years after being burned twice - both times with friends who were down in cork visiting and still slag me over it - We had a Supermacs knock off back home, and they compare it to that. Perhaps they have improved.

But people aren't just expressing an opinion on whether or not they like the chips. More than one person (not just on this thread) claimed that they serve frozen chips, while, in my experience, this just isn't true.
    I'm trying to figure out why.
    There is an obvious bias against this chipper.
    I'm simply looking at reasons why this might be.

Advertisement