Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ramen in Cork scraps 6before6

Options
  • 09-09-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I’m outraged by this, the new 8before8 is just not great value anymore. Make the 6before6 Great Again! Just when college is back, superb timing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Ramen is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Ramen is muck.

Their pad Thai is lovely, anything else I've tried in there was muck tho.
    €8 for a meal in there at 730 in the evening isn't bad value tho, if you like the food. I'd still pay it for the pad Thai, not anything else!

If they had a 1 before 1... I might try it.... If I was particularly hungover..... I might...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Careful now. Boards has decreed a long time ago thats Ramen is bad and if you like it you are on a par with Hilter.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Ugh i had a 6 before 6 recently, black bean. How you can get black bean so wrong is beyond me. Bereft of flavour, no chili in sight, dry shrivelled chicken and partially cooked rice that looked like cook in a bag. The peppers and onions were extremely thinly sliced limp items as opposed to the chunky veg with a bite that they should be in this dish.
    I would be ashamed to serve any element of it as an amateur cook.

It amazes me this place is still going.
    Dull menu you would get anywhere, with worse food than the worst Chinese takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Jackie Lennox in Bandon Rd is your only man,,,,support Irish chippers and not that forgein muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Enjoy the curries they do and for 6 you couldn't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

6 before 6 was always too good to be true, since they are extending the he hours its not all bad.
    Pretty sure that Ramen is a company that started in Cork.

I'm not from Cork myself but it always surprises me about how cynical some Cork people are about supporting local businesses & people, with the exception of Roy Keane of course

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bot43 wrote: »
    Careful now. Boards has decreed a long time ago thats Ramen is bad and if you like it you are on a par with Hilter.

Incorrect.
    Boards has decreed that anyone who has eaten in Ramen and claimed to not enjoy the food are, actually, lying. They really enjoyed the food but say that they didn't in an effort to seem cool and sophisticated.

I've never worked out why not liking a particular fast food outlet would be considered cool. But hey, I'm in the cool gang, it seems!

fiload wrote: »
    6 before 6 was always too good to be true, since they are extending the he hours its not all bad.
    Pretty sure that Ramen is a company that started in Cork.

I'm not from Cork myself but it always surprises me about how cynical some Cork people are about supporting local businesses & people, with the exception of Roy Keane of course

The only reason I don't support Ramen is because I think the food they serve is really poor quality and doesn't taste nice to me.
    Should I still eat there because they are a local business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

As usual, people with no interest in Ramen, must (again) comment on Ramen.

As usual, people with no interest in Ramen, must (again) comment on Ramen.

Shock horror.
    People on a discussion board discussing the theme of the thread.
    What are the conditions for discussing Ramen?I wasn't aware of personal requirements.
    Apologies if I posted about Ramen without your permission. Is it only positive opinions are allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll say the nicest thing about a meal there is the ice cream. Their usual main prices of €14 are a rip off for the taste and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

roundymac wrote: »
    Jackie Lennox in Bandon Rd is your only man,,,,support Irish chippers and not that forgein muck.

Careful now, you'll go blind eating that shyte. Utter muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Like to be fair Ramens 6 before 6 was grand. Its not 5 star its a 3 out of 5 at best but what do you expect for 6 euros?. I don't go in expecting world class food I go in expecting something to fill my belly.

But for 8 It has me thinking and since soba opened up next to it I have just being going therr over ramen since as soba is better food for 7 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

6 before 6 was a good deal in fairness. Their Kao pad and Ramen Fried rice is lovely.

8 euro is slightly too much for it though, 7 wouldn't have been too bad.

We won't be going again unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dhera 6 b4 6 was grand. A feed for 6 shekels, you couldnt go wrong. And a cone to finish off?
    Great value for a hungry student/nit too fussy trencherman

But this:
    rob316 wrote: »
    Their usual main prices of €14 are a rip off for the taste and quality.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jasus!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In there careys lane branch they have alot of competition. Koto is 11 for a main and drink and far superior, sobas daily special is 6.90 and again superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Tried Ramen once when it first opened on Anglesea St. Food was crap, service worse. I did an honest review of it on Trip Advisor, and the owner invited me to return and try again. Never took him up on the offer. Once was enough.

TBH - I am slightly surprised he opened one in the City Centre. Loads of competition, most of which offer superior food and service with the same value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

We stopped getting Ramen a few years ago.
    The quality/quantity went downhill.
    Often the 6bf6 was a lot of sauce, very little meat or veg.

Much prefer to spend a few extra euro and go to kin kao ! In ballincollig.

Far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ramen is muck.

I wouldn't consider it muck but you can easily make something just as nice at home with only a few ingredients from the local supermarket. Fraction of the price too once you have the base ingredients.

Never been a fan of it. I used to live near there and tried it 2/3 times after a night out and it was always greasy as fcuk.

kingtut wrote: »

Never been a fan of it. I used to live near there and tried it 2/3 times after a night out and it was always greasy as fcuk.

It's one of the worst chippers I've been to. I think it's riding on a wave of nostalgia with people reminiscing of being sent down by mammy with 20p back in the day.

All the five star reviews are from cork people, and negative reviews are from out of towners. I often drive past it and see tourists outside looking at their ball of greasy food pretending to enjoy it lest they get lynched by the locals.

Cork people get very angry when you say anything bad about it. It's like the Islam and paintings of Muhammad/Allah.

It's one of the worst chippers I've been to. I think it's riding on a wave of nostalgia with people reminiscing of being sent down by mammy with 20p back in the day. Cork people get very angry when you say anything bad about it. It's like the Islam and paintings of Muhammad/Allah.

It used to be the best. I doubt if anyone makes that claim now. I'd still probably go there before the likes of KCs, with a queue of kids taking selfies.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

All this blasphemy written about Lennox's!

If only Cork people like Lennoxes and everybody else in the entire solar system doesn't like Lennoxes, do you not think yee're a little bit biased bai?

Born and bred in Cork and never rated Lennox's.
    Chips are under cooked and soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Incorrect.
    Boards has decreed that anyone who has eaten in Ramen and claimed to not enjoy the food are, actually, lying. They really enjoyed the food but say that they didn't in an effort to seem cool and sophisticated.

I've never worked out why not liking a particular fast food outlet would be considered cool. But hey, I'm in the cool gang, it seems!

I can't believe <popular local eaterie> is so popular, it tastes nothing like real <ethnic food group> and is so bland.

I've been to <country of origin> and it's impossible to get real <ethnic food group> in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It used to be the best. I doubt if anyone makes that claim now. I'd still probably go there before the likes of KCs, with a queue of kids taking selfies.

I'd rate KCs way higher (I've enjoyed most of the stuff I've got was decent) but I definitely wouldn't be up for queuing for an hour to get in there! As for the people who queue before it's even open?! Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The queue always flies though. I've joined it when it was out the door and down the street and been back out with my food 25 minutes later, which is still longer than I'd generally queue though.

I'm not that into it because the veggie options are pretty sparse but the staff are so on the ball, it's really impressive. If one thing goes wrong or out of order when the queue is like that it could get so chaotic so quickly.

Advertisement